Fresh Meat....16x7x7

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Fresh Meat....16x7x7

Postby David_L6 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:42 am

Smartin436 wrote:Lookin Good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

I agree! Very nice. :thumbsup: Thanks for posting the pictures. Please keep 'em coming. :pictures:
David_L6
Donating Member

Postby roadinspector » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:44 pm

Thanks. The USPS elf has been berry berry good to me!! :delivery: The motorcycle wheel chock and RV door lock arrived. I robbed some more goodies from my donor trailer. Elec outlet for converter, exterior light, double light switch, window shades and blinds. 10 days out from vacation. Few loose ends to tie down and it'll be ready to give her a try.

Earnest
Dadgum it! I cut that board 5 times and it's still too short!
2001 quad-cab Dodge Cummins 3/4 ton camper special, 16x7x7 CT work in progress toyhauler, 01 HD Ultra Classic, 98 HD Heritage Softail, 88 HD 1200 Sportster. viewtopic.php?f=42&t=51510
roadinspector
500 Club

Postby roadinspector » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:57 pm

The UPS fairy came today!! :delivery: He brought me some greatly needed stainless screws. I got the 110 & 12v operational this afternoon/evening. I used an old extension cord for my 12v wiring. I still need to install 2 more interior lights and 1 exterior.

A special thank you goes out to my old dead 5th wheel :angel: who is being a major organ donor for this project. :beer: Without it I would not be able to afford to do this build. It's life will go on thru this trailer. :cry: I will try to post a pic in memory of it for donating it's organs to bring life to this CT. If you are interested in being an organ donor here is the link. https://www.donatelifetexas.org/ http://donatelife.net/register-now/ You too can make a difference.

Electric operational
Power panel.
Piss poor pic but you can get the idea. I installed spacers behind the 110-12v converter for air circulation to help prevent overheating and increase life.
If I do'd it I get a whoopin'. I DO'D IT!!
My helper Bluebonnet, a five month old Olde English Bulldogge, got bored helping me. So she got industrious and started her own project.

Earnest
2001 quad-cab Dodge Cummins 3/4 ton camper special, 16x7x7 CT work in progress toyhauler, 01 HD Ultra Classic, 98 HD Heritage Softail, 88 HD 1200 Sportster. viewtopic.php?f=42&t=51510
roadinspector
500 Club

Postby Bkcreation34 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:01 pm

I like the ideas your coming up with and like your bulldog always wanted a english bulldog I have a puggle now. : ) He is so much fun and he has so much energy.
You have a great size for a CT I wish I went with the 7 feet wide so I could have my bed on the back wall width wise. I have it length wise and it does take up alot of room with my platform bed. And great size of 16 I have 10 feet but wish I went bigger but glad I didnt because it would be more weight to pull.

Good job on your ideas
Bkcreation34
Teardrop Master

Postby roadinspector » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:38 pm

Bkcreation34 wrote:I like the ideas your coming up with and like your bulldog always wanted a english bulldog I have a puggle now. : ) He is so much fun and he has so much energy.
You have a great size for a CT I wish I went with the 7 feet wide so I could have my bed on the back wall width wise. I have it length wise and it does take up alot of room with my platform bed. And great size of 16 I have 10 feet but wish I went bigger but glad I didnt because it would be more weight to pull.

Good job on your ideas

bkcreation34,
Thanks. As anyone who gets into one these builds knows, it is a lot work. I bounced around sizes for some time on what I wanted. If I hadn't found this CT for a good price, I got lucky and actually ended up with what I wanted instead of having to settle for what I could afford. I would have gotten a 14'. I wanted big but not crazy big. I have a claustrophobic wife so I could not have a cave trailer. :applause: Smart decision on realizing your tow capability!! :applause: I have seen a few folks here that did not consider that. Getting a trailer that controls the tow vehicle and not the other way around does not make for a good trip and is not a good way to die. :( I am very fortunate to have my camper special 3/4 ton Dodge. This trailer will be a walk in the park to tow.
Bluebonnet is quite the character and is like a little bulldozer on speed when she is on a roll. I think my wife loves her more than she does me. I have never had a dog that is so loving and expressive.

Earnest
roadinspector
500 Club

Postby roadinspector » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:27 pm

It was a productive day of work and a productive week of SCROUNGING PARTS!!! :woohoo: I got my RV door lock installed. all my wiring is done. All I need to do to have my electric complete is to secure the panel and converter.

I scored big time on scrounging #6 wire and a high dollar deep cycle battery this week. I saw a buddy that works for a company who does roadway illumination and asked if he had about 6' of red and black #6 to spare. He handed me about 20+ ft of red and 20' of black!! :shake hands: Another friend has a cousin who works for a battery manufacturing co. We have gotten batteries off of him for our bikes before. I told him I was needing a deep cycle since I really doubted the one in my donor trailer was good. He called me Wednesday and said he had a battery for me. :shake hands: I am not sure but its either a gell or litium ion battery that is used for solar power storage and server power backup. Either way it is an excellent battery and he assured me it was safe to put INSIDE the trailer since they put these inside offices all the time. It will be inside for this trip then moved to the tongue later in a box. It is an odd ball size so a standard battery box won't work. 10"x10.5"x8.5". Sucker weighs 74.6 lbs! Anyway here is a few pics of the progress. :hammer:
98127 98130 RV door lock installed. Had to add diamond plate spacers both inside and outside. I still need to remove the other latch/lock system.
98128 Added an exterior light.
98131 Double switch controlling the exterior light and an interior light I also added today.
98129 Power panel with scored #6 wire and scored battery. :beautiful:

My list is getting shorter and so is my time till vacation. At least all the items left are small and won't take much time. (famous last words)

Earnest
roadinspector
500 Club

Postby bc toys » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:34 am

Earnest are you coming to Joe Pool Lake gathering would love to see you trailer
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby roadinspector » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:04 pm

bc toys wrote:Earnest are you coming to Joe Pool Lake gathering would love to see you trailer

What can you tell me about the gathering. If it is the Joe Pool I'm thinking of it is south of Dallas.
roadinspector
500 Club

Postby bc toys » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:22 am

it is this weekend sept 28-29th loyd park off 360 and ragland rd go to south central section and read about it sounds like big group and 20 something coming
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby roadinspector » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:27 pm

Thanks, I'll check it out. We can't make it. We are pulling out friday morning for Lake Ouachita Arkansas. Over a week of riding & doing nothing. However the mood strikes us at the time. My wife has a one day family reunion that Saturday. They all descend upon our camp site for a day from various parts of Arkansas. I need to start watching that page for gatherings. I've been concentrating on my build and this part of the forum. I haven't gotten past it to explore what all is here. Thanks for the info.
Earnest
roadinspector
500 Club

Postby bc toys » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:50 pm

LCGVII is Oct 25-28 and there are still open sites lots of Texas group will be there just out of Shevesport La maybe we will see you there
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby roadinspector » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:07 pm

It's time to go camping!!!! :beautiful: I lack a few minor things to have it where I wanted it to be for this trip but it will function well for this trip to Lake Ouachita. This will be a good shake down run to get some ideas. Over a week of doing nothing or something if we want to. :poop: I got a couple of rides I would like to take but if I just get one good one in I will be happy. The wife's family decends on us for a one day reunion on Saturday then the rest is ours. They are calling for rain but there is a big shelter we can use if we need to. I will post pics when I get back.

Earnest
roadinspector
500 Club

Postby bc toys » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:04 am

well enjoy your trip we are pulling out about 11am to go camping as well
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby revorunner » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:33 am

Have fun guys. :bounce:
revorunner
Teardrop Advisor

Postby roadinspector » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:32 pm

We made the round trip to Lake Ouachita and had a great time. We have fallen in love with our CT. :beautiful: As most here know, the first shake down run is very educational. You learn a lot about what you want and need in it. I am so glad the CT is no further along in the build phase. I had an idea before of how I wanted it, and of course thing changed. I moved some things and added some things for the better. We had a great time and got some well needed rest. We went riding a couple of times and was very successful in blowing out the cobwebs.

We arrived at Joplin Campground to find it shut down due a major electrical failure. :cry: This was disappointing but we were able to find another site down the road at Thompkins Bend. The CT paid a big advantage here. By the time we got to Thompkins it was dark 30. (#1 add: backup lights on fenders as seen in another post. More exterior lights, 2 on rear, 1 on port side & 1 on nose.) We unloaded the bike, backed the CT in, unhooked, leveled, plugged it in and went to bed. :goodnight: This was great!!!! Sorry, I'm getting old and lazy. I had forgotten how easy it was to set a trailer up as opposed to pitching a tent in the dark.

Note radiant oil bath heater laying on the mattress. It worked well. It got down into the 40s a couple of nights. This was good for this trip but I will be adding a forced air heater soon to be robbed from my donor trailer. The mattress is a queen size that was robbed from the donor. It has seen better days and will be replaced with 4" memory foam made into cushions for fold down couches on both sides with removable table between them. This 7' wide CT is perfect fit for a queen bed to lay length ways across the CT.

Trees were starting to change. Saw more changes on our way out. The cold front that blew thru appeared to have changed more overnight.
Only equipment failure we had was with an old dorm reefer we used. It lasted a couple of days then cratered. Not surprised, it was 10 yrs old +/- & 5 of that in storage. I was my Father-in-laws. He used it in his room for his insulin when he lived with us. Luckily there is a Wallyworld on just about every corner in Arkansas. We went into Hot Springs and picked up another one for less than $100.

Another thing I had a feeling was going to have to change was my bike. It was only a matter of time. This was the first time in quite a while my wife rode for any length of time and I almost had to cut it short the day she rode with me. My Heritage is too stiff of a ride for her back now. So I will be trying to get into the market for a Road King. I have a buyer for my old Sportster so there is some of the $> to solve that issue. Now if anyone feels sorry for my predicament, all donations will be accepted and appreciated. :beautiful: when the wife enjoys anything almost as much as you do. Riding and camping!!!! I don't think I could have done any better. :woohoo:

The CT pulled well, provided great shelter and we had a great time. :relaxing: Now back to robbing from my donor and and building our mobile mansion as time allows.

Earnest
roadinspector
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions