Or maybe this,

If it gets much hotter, I may have to go to "high cool". ... :shock:

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Re: Its sort of mine!

Postby Padilen » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:48 pm

That's not cool!
Ok so I don't think my AC ever worked right. Now it does. So I noticed the "hose" gets hot, and nose of trailer. I stuck my and under trailer and the exhaust is very hot. Was running to Cadillac and HD. So I got a insulated sleeve for 6" duct. Good idea or bad idea. And Fedex changed my delivery date for my generator

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby McDave » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:17 am

Probably a good idea. I"m not really familiar with your set up, but I'm guessin' the exhaust exits at or near the Vee? How much of the exhaust hose is inside the cabin? It doesn't really matter, I would insulate that portion for sure. Also, take a look at where the exhaust dumps. You don't want to put that heat under your trailer if you can help it. Up and away, Heat rises.
Now, the intake hose just brings in air to cool the condenser, correct? So, The best place to get intake air will be from under the trailer. That modification will make a significant improvement.
" I stuck my and under trailer and the exhaust is very hot. "

You want to address that ASAP. Add an elbow and/or a length of pipe to the exhaust and get it up and away, moving with the prevailing wind. That should lower the overall ambient air temp around the trailer and lower the intake air temp, allowing it to cool the condenser more effectively. Now we'll be pumpin' some heat.
Couple questions for you,
Is the pump currently running when the AC is on? Can you hear it? Did you get a look at it? Was the fuse blown? Is it an amperage fuse or a thermal-fuse? Can you see the condensate tank and how full it is?
Now would be a good time to track the performance of the AC. Not complicated just in general.
1.Is the Ac able to reach and maintain desired temp?
2. can you hear the compressor cycling on/off? take notice of how often.
Verify that it's performance has improved.
Do you still have that hygrometer? It might be nice to know the humidity in the cabin.

I'll check back with you later kiddo,

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:40 am

Mines a single hose for exhaust. It is up by the vee, and do to the frame and tongue, an elbow won't be possible. The hole is "over" tongue A frame . The exhaust hole is oval as I didn't modify the unit- just incase I didn't like it. I'm still undecided about it. This week maybe the deciding factor 90* forecasted! My underside of unit is insulated and my trailer is higher now with axle flip. So perhaps the heat will disperse on its own.
The splash pump runs constantly when unit it set to AC. I think that's what he said. The tech stuck a zip tie in between cooling fins, you could hear it hitting zip tie. The condensation "tank" is just a drip pan that's part of units base.
My placement is/was so a dorm fridge can be taking along. Or if another bike went with my TW it would hopefully fit.
I'm ordering a fridge soon found a good deal- but black and I'm undecided on that. Sale ends soon so I need to decide.
I do have a dual gauge, thermometer and hygrometer, in TAZ. It's about 90% out so I'll check and see what it is inside.

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:19 am

Not that I doubted you McDave, but was wasting time. I see they sell an insulating sleeve for portable AC's. 48$. Glad I just thought when I go to HD I'll grab a insulated duct sleeve-6.97$. If it wasn't a good idea I could return or keep. Glad it was
New generator is suppose to be delivered today!

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:54 am

I got my new generator. I removed side panel to add the oil. And found this.

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby flboy » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:22 am

That is unfortunate. :-(

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby McDave » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:09 pm

Hey Kiddo,
I wanted to tell you that I don't have a lot of experience with the portable AC's. Because of my hourly rate it's usually not cost effective to repair, and if it has worked for a few years most folks just replace. However, I had just assumed you had a dual hose set up. Honestly I've never seen a single hose unit. The reason I mention this is that single hose units are very inefficient. The problem is all the air being pumped out the exhaust has to be replaced somehow. Since the only place it can get that air is the cabin of your trailer, it will take that air and new hot, moist air will come into the cabin through any vent or leak it can find. This almost makes all that insulation useless. You will have to constantly treat new air and the air already treated will be going out the exhaust. If you lived in the High Desert and only needed a little cooling this might work, similar to an evaporative swamp cooler. But with 90% humidity it's just a losing battle. The whole point of the insulation and tape etc. is to treat the same air over and over and to remove that moisture and heat, and prevent new heat from getting in. The only possible solution I see would be to somehow add a intake tube and seal it the AC. I can't really see that being successful and will only be frustrating and destructive to the AC and trailer. I think you really need to think about getting out of that system and into a real AC, at least a two hose unit. I would recommend a rooftop for the most efficient and space saving and appropriate tool for the job, but any other type will be better than a one hoser.
I'm sorry to have to lay that kind of news on you but I don't want to see you struggle and waste money and time and effort.
Consider selling that one hose while it's still working and apply that money towards something better. That AC would work for someone who has a hot room in their house and just needs additional cooling there, it will draw air from the rest of the house which has already been treated. I'm sorry I didn't realize what AC you were using earlier. I'm sure you know my opinion about RV AC's , but had I known about your AC type I would have tried to stop you earlier.
Well, get with me if you want to discuss this further.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:50 pm

That's ok, I don't really like AC, it's more for Eli if I leave him. But if you saw what he did when I left him alone last time... Well! But I do use the fan often it works well for that.
I have the 2 other AC's it's just, I'm not willing to cut a "stud" to fit one in. I have looked at the "hacks" and yesterday I did order 2 "inspection" plates or deck plates. I can play around with this idea while leaving my current set up. As for resale- nobody will buy a single hose. Heck I couldn't even sell the slightly used window units. They weren't mine, just was helping sell them. Everyone said too small or I can buy new for a few dollars more.

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby Tommy B » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:03 am

Padilen wrote:I got my new generator. I removed side panel to add the oil. And found this.

NOOOO. Chit man. Mine was fine. I know amazon would have that picked up the next day and had a replacement there PDQ. They did that for my big Dometic cooler. I just had to be there. Did you use amazon? They better make that right. Don't accept that. :thumbdown:
Tommy B
500 Club

Postby Tommy B » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:26 am

When I worked for UPS, we called that a hoop shot delivery.

Did you delivery guy look like this? :R
Attachments
thAOY9Q25N.jpg
thAOY9Q25N.jpg (6.97 KiB) Viewed 2730 times
fedex.jpg
fedex.jpg (23.03 KiB) Viewed 2730 times
Tommy B
500 Club

Postby Padilen » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:41 pm

It wasn't damaged by fed X it was in a perfect box. This was crack when assemble. Won't effect it but it isn't the way new stuff should come. I won't send it back until they send me a replacement. It was on sale and limited stock.

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:59 pm

Padilen, Howdy;

Dang! Hate it when folks can't do a simple job. You'll most likely be talking with the
manufacturer about the replacement bit in the long run. Might as well start off with
their contact info. and go on from there. Or ... may be it was a floor demo unit and
was mishandled at the seller's ??? Did the box look as if it had been opened and re-sealed
or not. May be the only way to tell.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Padilen » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:16 pm

Late today I got another email. They will send a replacement no charge. This one has to be in FedX system then they'll ship the replacement. I just have to get a label printed and re box gen and get it to a FedX pickup spot.
My dorm fridge is suppose to arrive tomorrow. I'm hoping I'll have no issues.

Padilen
Donating Member

Its sort of mine!

Postby Padilen » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:26 pm

Lack of patience waiting on my fridge. So I took some pics.
Roll up car shade for window.
Dinette/bed is now a day bed, added a piece of luan. Pull cushion and luan out about 6" instant day bed. Push it in and it's a dinette again. Then with my collapsable ottoman (with a base so not collapsable now) and a pool noodle hung behind back cushion it's a comfy easy chair.
Base for AC scrap boards
Pool noodle back support. Comfy TV viewing.
9.99 ottoman and scarp board base.

Last edited by Padilen on Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Padilen
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions