Staining the inside walls.

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Staining the inside walls.

Postby southpennrailroad » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:02 pm

I plan on staining the interior of the trailer a mahogany stain and poly- uriathan over it. Also buildig a bulk head at the top curves for storage above. Like overhead storage on planes.
Long time researching the abandoned South Pennsylvania Railroad along the Pennsylvania Turnpike. God will guide me. As he has done so in the past. southpennrailroad.com
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:10 am

Mahogany is a beautiful color. I am sure you will enjoy it. I don't remember what you are building but storage is always a good thing. :thumbsup:

Now for the nag :pictures: :pictures: :pictures: Cause you know why! :lol:

GitRdun
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

BEWARE : READ DIRECTIONS

Postby Guy » Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:25 pm

Dear ChooChoo,

Be Very careful about mahogany stain and ureathane. I was once using red mahogany minwax stain and then read I could not use the ureathane I had bought. They were incompatible. Please check the fine print on the stain. It had something to do with the formula that made up mahogany.
Regards,

Guy
Keep on living, laughing, learning and loving.
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Staining the inside walls.

Postby IndyCubby » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:55 pm

southpennrailroad wrote:I plan on staining the interior of the trailer a mahogany stain and poly- uriathan over it. Also buildig a bulk head at the top curves for storage above. Like overhead storage on planes.

Sounds like a plan.

I know that color is all a matter of taste, but if I may make a suggestion...

You might find a dark color like mahogany a bit dark for you interior as not alot of light makes it in through your windows. This can sometimes make your little trailer feel even smaller than it really is. You will see lots of people here using birch with a clear finish because it is light in color and gives the illusion of space. I ended up using luan with a clear finish and I kind of wish I had spent a little extra on birch so that the color would have been just a bit lighter. It really does make a difference.

On the other hand, mahogany is a very beautiful and warm look. If you don't mind that it may be very dark and cave-like in your camper, then I say go for it. Again, it is just a matter of personal taste. I just wanted to bring it up in case you hadn't thought of it.

Happy building!

oh, and what Miriam said.....pics pics pics!
4x8 Cubby
"Finished" October, 2005
Gone, but not forgotten!
IndyCubby
Teardrop Master

Re: Staining the inside walls.

Postby MikeDrz » Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:09 pm

look here for an idea on the storage..

http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=176471&highlight=#176471

southpennrailroad wrote:I plan on staining the interior of the trailer a mahogany stain and poly- uriathan over it. Also buildig a bulk head at the top curves for storage above. Like overhead storage on planes.
Michael Drzewiecki
--------------------------------------------------------
Teardrop Dreamer - Cargo Converter

Click here to check out Cargo Conversions...its hip to be Square!!!

:)
MikeDrz
Donating Member

Re: BEWARE : READ DIRECTIONS

Postby southpennrailroad » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:21 pm

Guy wrote:Dear ChooChoo,

Be Very careful about mahogany stain and ureathane. I was once using red mahogany minwax stain and then read I could not use the ureathane I had bought. They were incompatible. Please check the fine print on the stain. It had something to do with the formula that made up mahogany.

Thanks for the heads up! I will consider this when I get started looking for the right shade. Will post shots as well as I go along.
Long time researching the abandoned South Pennsylvania Railroad along the Pennsylvania Turnpike. God will guide me. As he has done so in the past. southpennrailroad.com
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions