Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: A 12 ft. FEATHERLITE conversion

Postby Prem » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:08 am

:roll: Motorhome and matching trailer

My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby Prem » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:06 pm

:thinking: I wonder how much it cost to have that matching trailer made. Seems pretty nuts to me. :?
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby mezmo » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:47 am

The trailer door doesn't look "right", maybe it's Photoshoped?
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Prem » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:23 am

Save it to your computer, then expand the image. Look at the reflections in the trailer's windshield. They are highly complex and different than the motorhome's. The same is true for the shadows in the headlights.

How dat do dat?

:thinking:
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby Prem » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:33 am

:shock: Tows a 5th wheel with the ramp up:

My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby Prem » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:41 am

Nice and simple:

My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:13 am

Prem, Howdy;

Interesting, is there water accessible in the Galley or
do they run to the front and get some when necessary?
Otherwise nice set-up and very well made.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Prem » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:59 am

:shock: Good eye there hankEYE/hankaye. I don't know. Looks like you're correct though. My preference would be a 5-gallon jug with a spout/faucet on a table or bench beside the rear of the trailer. (I really don't like the space-robbing and mess-making aspects of interior plumbing in small trailers and motorhomes.) I consider the interior design of many commercially-made small travel trailers and motorhomes to be overly complicated and jam-packed. I had them all once in my bus motorhome, including on-demand hot water. I am not wowed by most of the RV bells and whistles any more. (Solar shower bag works so well!) More space to move around in keeps my claustrophobia in the comfortable zone. :frightened:

P.S. Are we striving for a less complicated RV also? :D
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby Prem » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:27 pm

:thinking: What's wrong with this trailer?

My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby lrrowe » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:34 pm

Prem wrote::shock: Good eye there hankEYE/hankaye. I don't know. Looks like you're correct though. My preference would be a 5-gallon jug with a spout/faucet on a table or bench beside the rear of the trailer. (I really don't like the space-robbing and mess-making aspects of interior plumbing in small trailers and motorhomes.) I consider the interior design of many commercially-made small travel trailers and motorhomes to be overly complicated and jam-packed. I had them all once in my bus motorhome, including on-demand hot water. I am not wowed by most of the RV bells and whistles any more. (Solar shower bag works so well!) More space to move around in keeps my claustrophobia in the comfortable zone. :frightened:

P.S. Are we striving for a less complicated RV also? :D

Prem,
Posts like this are why to me why this forum is so good. I have designed an inside 34 x 24 inch shower/potty area in my 6 x 14 ft CT. But then inputs like this come in and cause me to challenge my ideas. I too want simple, but I believe this shower is important to my wife so I may stay with that plan. But nevertheless, I still rethink my ideas and see if they pass the tests to continue with them.

Thanks for posting them.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby Prem » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:53 pm

Bob,

:thumbsup: You're more than welcome. And thanks for the thanks.

The shower is a tough one. Ya kinda gotta have it for extended camping in remote places or those camping spots lacking facilities. I settled for the solar shower. On cloudy days I just heat the water on the stove and pour it into the solar shower bag. Some folks here on the teardrop forums use a porta-potty/shower tent stall that is designed for use with a solar shower bag. Looks like this:

This last spring the wife and I walked across northern Spain with just our backpacks. We stayed in hostels and alberques every night. There were hot showers every night. But a friend had told us about using alcohol hand sanitizer for arm pits and feet before we left. In Spain, when we finished hiking for the day, all the other hikers smelled pretty strong, but we didn't. Their boots stank. Ours didn't. No need for deodorant or anti-perspirant any longer. It's amazing how well Purell with aloe works. We mostly showered to get some therapeutic heat on our muscles after a long day's hike over hill and dell in the boonies of northern Spain.

For what it's worth.

:wine: <--- That's Spanish Tempranillo wine (cheaper than bottled water in Spain)
Last edited by Prem on Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby lrrowe » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:02 pm

Between showers during my recent hunt camp stay, I used wet ones in a similar method as you did with the alcohol sanitizer. Seemed to work ok. And I did use a privy tent for our potty needs. So I do have the basis for an outdoor shower.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby lrrowe » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:05 pm

Prem wrote::thinking: What's wrong with this trailer?

The problem with this trailer escapes me other then the fact that it only has a single axle for such a large sized trailer.
And it seems to only have one bar for the tongue.
Bob

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby Prem » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:39 pm

Bob,

There are potty shelters/tents and then there are shower shelters/tents that have the hanger that can handle the weight of 5 lbs. of water in a bag. Ya gotta check to see, or acquire the right kind.

On the big, long, tall trailer, yeah. The most obvious issue is the single axle and the 15 inch tires. Looks like a disaster waiting to happen. :frightened: The square tube tongue spreads to a double or triple under the V-nose of the trailer, so that can handle the load. I also wonder about the big hollow rectangle for the wheel well. Why so long and tall without tandem axles and big tires? I'd put on a single 5k pound axle with 8 lug nuts and 245-75-16" radial trailer tires OR just double the current axle and wheels to get it to sit without tipping easily. It's pretty low to the ground on the rear. Gonna scrape in parking lots. Looks real cleanly built though.
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby lrrowe » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:29 pm

Prem,
I have this one.

http://youtu.be/a02n9W-QpX0
Bob

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions