Foldout bed / tent

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Foldout bed / tent

Postby schaney » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:03 pm

Here is something interesting I came across, how about using a foldout bed / tent on the side of your cargo trailer.

For more info, checkout VRV Cargo RV
Scott
Camping the "Compact Way"
schaney
500 Club

Canvas

Postby drcurran » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:32 pm

Interesting idea and I'm sure very good for some. We went from tents, to pop up, to TT, to Class A, to Class C, and now I'm working on a Cargo. For me no canvas, and nothing that has to be "set up". Pull over and go to bed. A lot of my travel and "camping" is one night stop, so any kind of set up is not for me. But as I said probably a good idea for some.

Dan
"I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was."
TK
drcurran
Teardrop Master

Postby digimark » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:21 am

D***, that's cool. I'm going to contact the company in the morning. I wonder if one of those could be fitted into the side of an existing cargo trailer.
--
-- Gary Goldberg/Chesapeake Beach, MD/KA3ZYW
-- http://www.digimark.net/og/
digimark
Teardrop Master

Postby schaney » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:32 pm

Dan, I know softsided spaces aren't for eveyone, personally I think they are a great way to add space with a small increase in weight. On the setup side, all you do is open two latches and fold it down, take less than a minute.
Scott
schaney
500 Club

Postby Tx River Rat » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:36 pm

I have to agree, no canvas and no setup time is the way I ant it.
I did a trip to Alaska a few years ago in a pop up ,setting up the camper 30 times in 40 days , not only no but heck no.
Ron
Tx River Rat
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby ARIZONA GUIDE » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:08 pm

Why not just buy a tent trailer then. I bet they are around the same price.
ARIZONA GUIDE
Teardrop Advisor

Postby digimark » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:35 pm

To be clear, the real attraction of something like the VRV is that it's a cargo trailer, with all the advantages of towability and hauling motorbikes, ATVs, etc, combined with the sleeping area of a pop-up.

My wife loved it, thinks we should get it instead of the 6x10 custom I have ordered. But I told her having a cargo trailer isn't just for the sleeping while camping -- I want to build out the box for winter-time camping too, something that a pop-up won't do (those pop-outs would get *cold*.) AND I want to use it for cargo tasks, like hauling my outdoor movie projection equipment around. Plus without walls (the VRV's walls are of course, the pop-up materials) you're limited in what you can carry. I'm mounting (2) 6' lengths of E-track down each wall so I can tie things up-right along their length.

EDIT: I checked with the distributor, it's not available for retrofit presently, and the trailer's a bit pricey at $6-8K. But still very interesting.
Last edited by digimark on Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
-- Gary Goldberg/Chesapeake Beach, MD/KA3ZYW
-- http://www.digimark.net/og/
digimark
Teardrop Master

Postby brian_bp » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:36 pm

ARIZONA GUIDE wrote:Why not just buy a tent trailer then. I bet they are around the same price.

I thought the same thing, and the traditional tent trailer has the advantage of a lower overall height. On the other hand, in addition to the cargo functionality, any interior furnishings (such as a cabinets) do not need to fold down to close up the beds. Any wall without a bed could have upper cabinets, and a stand-up shower could be made with one-piece walls.

It's an interesting configuration.
brian_bp
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby sseaman » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:07 pm

seems pricey for what you get
sseaman
Teardrop Advisor

Postby starleen2 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:12 pm

There is a reason for No more soft sides for us! Summer time hail storm. We have those surprise storms in TExas that can be quite violent - It pounded our tent to shreads while we took shelter in a park bathroom. At least the cargo trailer can give you some protection if that ever happens
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby southpennrailroad » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:15 pm

This was my original idea when I was purchasing the Danzer trailer but with hard sided expansions but I tried sitting on the slide out and it tipped. stopped working on that and switched to just getting it up and in use.
Long time researching the abandoned South Pennsylvania Railroad along the Pennsylvania Turnpike. God will guide me. As he has done so in the past. southpennrailroad.com
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Source for folding beds?

Postby agpage » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:18 pm

Does anyone know of a source for a pre-made folding beds like this.

I would swear that I saw a funny/formal name for this on the site a couple of years ago, but at this point I am just swearing at the search button. I can't come up with a link no matter which terms I use

Thanks

Andy
agpage
Donating Member

Postby schaney » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:03 pm

Andy, I've only found them available in the "rv parts wholesale" market and that was with a minimum order of 5 units. Haven't seen a retail seller of them.
Scott
schaney
500 Club

Postby rebapuck » Sun May 17, 2009 7:05 pm

Seems to me that fold out would be perfect for the few times you have the grandkids with you. Sort of a "guest room. There only when you need it. And couldn't you get one from a parted pop-up?
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby Siobhra » Mon May 18, 2009 9:57 am

Did you ever see a pop-up after a black bear checked it out? I was on my honeymoon and we came back from a day of local sight-seeing to find the trailer and campsite torn apart. :cry:

I will stick to a hard shell. And not camp anywhere that I can not carry my gun.
As a child I was my own imaginary friend.
Siobhra
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions