4 x 8 trailer

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

4 x 8 trailer

Postby campinwi » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:39 pm

I want to my husband to build me a teardrop, he isn't too keen on the idea, so I have been looking at cargo trailers. I have found a couple of 4 x 8 trailers for sale. The trailer will be used primarily when I am camping with myself or with my 17 year old daughter and I. I have two pop up campers. One is a 1970 scamper that i took off the pop out sides and just made a new straight sided canvas. The other is a 1999 coleman santa fe which I use quite a lot.
My decision for wanting something small is simple. Every time I want to camp with the pop ups, I have to go over to my brother in laws and pick up his truck to tow them with. We have a 1998 olds siloutte van, and my husband is very afraid to tow anything with it. I figured if I can find a very small camper, he should be o.k.
When I camp, I do all my cooking outside. I am frustrated with always taking all the food in and out of the pop up. the raccoons are so bad in the areas we camp, they even broke into a tent to get our food. Hence, wanting a trailer.
I have seen where people have converted 5 x8's can't find anything on 4x8. one of the trailers has an interior height I could stand in. figured I could put folding bunks in that one.

any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated.
campinwi
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Steve_Cox » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:21 pm

A 4 X 8 teardrop? Why don't you build it. Then it can be just the way you want it. 8)

Oh yeah, welcome to the forum.
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby csgmtu » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:27 pm

I have a solution, get a new husband (or at least a boyfriend that will build you a teardrop) :lol: javascript:emoticon(':lol:')
csgmtu
Palladium Donating Member

4 x8 trailer

Postby campinwi » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:29 pm

I would have great difficulty building one myself. I am very inept at hammering or nailing things. My husband and I also do not get along very well when we do projects together. I also want to start using it this summer, not next. The 4 x8 trailer I found is a used one with a side door on each side, concession style windows on each side, and barn doors in the rear. The other one I found is a 4 x 6, which I think may be too small.. both are used trailers. The 4 x8 already has shelves installed on the inside. My one concern is that with all the openings, is water leakage in the future as the trailer ages.

It is slim pickins for males up here, so I am staying with what I have for now!
campinwi
Teardrop Advisor

4 X 8

Postby drcurran » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:09 am

Here is a suggestion you might have already thought of. Use the 4X8 as is, sort of like a tent already set up. Couple of fold out beds, or maybe a futon. Even throw in an inexpensive rug. See how you like it. If it works, you can and make it "nicer" if not sell it and get a bigger one. OK just my .02

Dan
"I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was."
TK
drcurran
Teardrop Master

Postby campinwi » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:47 pm

I have a couple of futons. was thinking of using one of those. also. I would have my husband build some cabinets across the back like a teardrop for the kitchen space.

Now he's thinking I might be better off with a 5 x8 so we could both sleep comfortably. I guess he's thinking he might get to come with!
campinwi
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Juneaudave » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:56 pm

I couldn't tell by your profile, but if your in WI :thinking: , I think the Camp by the Lake is next weekend and would be a good place to haul the hubby to check out some Tears!!!
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions