Freedom Hauler by Camping World: Opinions?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Freedom Hauler by Camping World: Opinions?

Postby Stealth TDI » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:11 am

Hello,

I recently tripped over cargo trailers by Freedom Hauler, available exclusively at Camping World. The "Economy" trailer is exceptionally light. Details can be seen at http://www.freedomhauler.com/ . Does anyone have one of these or have an opinion regarding quality and durability?

Thanks,

Scott
Stealth TDI
Teardrop Advisor

Postby campinwi » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:39 am

thanks for the link. I'm going to call them later today to check availability. The 6 x 10 @ 865# should be able to be towed by my van, and plenty big for what I want.
campinwi
Teardrop Advisor

FREEDOM HAULER

Postby Prem » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:44 am

Scott,

Looks very good. Aluminum box on steel chassis. Low curb weight. (I'd get the V-nose 6x14 for the interior volume.) Single axle models come without trailer brakes. ($350 to have them put on at most RV repair places.)

Prem :thumbsup:
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby madjack » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:08 am

...keep in mind that is the DRY weight...start adding insulation/walls/electrical/batteries/propane tank/beds/cabinets/additional windows/doors/appliances/portapotti and all the rest of your gear, you can easily double(or more) that original weight...not saying it's not nice alternative, just wanting to keep ya thinking about the weight when your done adding your mods and such.......
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Stealth TDI » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:53 am

Yup!

I definitely have the weight in mind. For those who don't know, I'm towing with a VW turbodiesel. I expect to add brakes to any cargo trailer I get and will keep everything under 1500 lbs at any cost. I'd like to build something spartan that is not more than 1100-lbs dry... basically a shell with insulation, thin walls (included with trailer), a folding platform to act as a bed/sofa, one decent-sized window, and a Fantastic Fan.

The 5x8 would be a piece of cake at 715# and 72# tongue. I suppose I could add an RV-type door latch to the rear hatch and use it as a regular door. The 6x10 adds plenty of room and a side door; but it also adds 150# and plenty of extra aero drag. But it's still the same weight as the 5x8 Homesteader I've been researching. RV World says these trailers can be ordered with their stuff installed such as a Fantastic Fan, stabilizer jacks, and brakes. I would likely tackle anything beyond that myself so I can control layout and weight.

Scott
Stealth TDI
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Trackstriper » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:56 pm

Did you look at the trailers by Alum? Basically all aluminum. Could be spendy.

http://www.alumaklm.com/ae58_ae510_enclosed_trailers.html

You might be able to talk them into building with a 2000# axle.
Trackstriper
Gold Donating Member

Postby Stealth TDI » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:50 pm

Yes. Thanks to a suggestion in my other thread, I looked at all-aluminum trailers as well. One was just as heavy as a steel model and, as you predicted, they're all quite spendy. It's tough to justify a $4000+ base price on an Aluma 5x8 when I can get a Homesteader for $1800 or a Freedom Hauler starting around $1400. :thumbsup:
Stealth TDI
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Prem » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:09 pm

This brand is the best construction for the price and weight I've seen anywhere. I especially like the square corner roof. This means there is no flimsy fiberglass nose cap to sun rot and crack like on so many other brands. In the shorter length you want there's no significant weight savings by getting one with an aluminum chassis. Plus, the Freedom Hauler has strong 5/8" plywood for the floor (versus OSB/waferboard) and Philippine mahogany on the walls that can be painted without wafers or plywood grain showing. It's so smooth that you could even wallpaper it. Check for undercoating.

Personally, I'd only upgrade the bias ply tires to radial trailer tires, get a spare and put brakes on it.

Good find.

Prem :shake hands:
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby hunter535 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:58 pm

Hello Stealth TDI,

I just ordered a Cargo Express Pro series cargo trailer. Delivery date is to be next week. It was suppose to be here this week, but the dealer isn't able to pick it up till next. :worship:

One of the big selling features for me was the construction of the frame (walls and roof crossmembers). They use steel square tube construction in the walls and roof. Weight for me isn't that big of an issue. Exterior is .030 aluminum as is the roofing too. I am not a big fan of galvanized steel. I have seen it rust over time.

I was also able to order it without any interior sheathing on the walls so I can insulate it and run the wiring myself.

The v-nose models have a 1 piece roof so there is no seams on the rooftop. They overlap the roofing onto the side wall exteriors. I looked at the rounded roofs and they seemed to have a few seams.

Like I said, I haven't recieved the trailer yet, but I hope I made the right decisions. I researched alot of different manufacturers and this one seemed to fit my bill the best.

Good Luck :thumbsup:
hunter535
Teardrop Master

Postby edcasey » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:14 pm

If you read freedom Hauler's owner's manual, on page 2 it states the warranty is provided by the actual manufacturer Pace American. http://www.freedomhauler.com/pdf/manual-en.pdf. The specs for the Pace American Outback and he Freedom Hauler Economy are identical.
http://www.paceamerican.com/trailers/outbackcargo/tag/#specInfo
http://www.freedomhauler.com/models/economy/cwf58sa/
edcasey
Teardrop Master

Postby Prem » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:03 am

Hunter535,

Don't sweat it man. You ordered a great rig. Continuous aluminum roof is top of the line. When you wire it, drill the holes in the 1" steel tubing to accept rubber o-ring grommets or just silicon the holes when the wires are run thru them. Road vibration will eventually wear the insulation off the wires if you don't. (My Featherlite has silicon caulking even where the wires make a right turn on the ends. They are glued so they can't move.)

Cool that you could order it sans interior paneling so you can insulate it and build it with the paneling you want!

Post your build photos so all of us red-neck do-it-yourselfers can live it vicariously.

Prem :snappy: :snappy:
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby campinwi » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:14 am

If all goes well, I will be buying a 6 x 10 in the morning and picking it up next week. I have to drive about 200 miles to pick it up.
The freedom hauler is made by Pace for Camping World. I went with the 6 x 10 because the interior height is 5'6", so I can stand up in it. I will be towing with a mini van so I also want to keep the weight low.

The one I bought is a flat top model. The rounded top weighs about 75 pounds more and is the same interior height. Does anyone know if there is an advantage of one over the other?

Another reason for going with the 6 x 10, it comes with a side door, while the 5 x 8 does not.
campinwi
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Prem » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:21 am

edcasey,

Good research. I wondered it was manufactured by HaulMark:

http://www.haulmark.com/bumper-pull_car ... delhlcds2/

Universal Trailer, Inc. now owns both HaulMark and Featherlite.

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby digimark » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:45 pm

I think the round-top trailers are also made by Pace American, and are equivalent to their Journey models. Several people on this forum have customized Journey model trailers, and have had good luck with them.
--
-- Gary Goldberg/Chesapeake Beach, MD/KA3ZYW
-- http://www.digimark.net/og/
digimark
Teardrop Master

Postby Nitroxjunkie71 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:28 pm

Mine is a Pace 6X10

and has been perfect for my needs.
Jeff
Image Image Image
The Deepest spot in Lake Superior, the largest of the Great Lakes is 1,333 feet or about 222 fathoms. This profound depth could easily contain the entire 1,250' Empire State Building, even with a 50-foot-tall King Kong perched atop.
Nitroxjunkie71
cargotrlrman

Location: Originally from Battle Creek Michigan, I now reside in Greenfield Indiana

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions