next project

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

next project

Postby jkreas » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:33 am

Because we are using the trailer for a move and we will be sleeping in it along the way, I need to build an elevated platform for our bed. I want to be able to store house hold goods under my bed. My plan so far is to secure some 2x4's to the wall on each side about half way up. Then run a few accross to support our weight and cover with plywood. Any suggestions on how to do this would be greatly appreciated. Will the walls support that kind of weight? We have a 3,500 mile road trip.
jkreas
Teardrop Inspector

Re: next project

Postby jkreas » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:34 pm

jkreas wrote:Because we are using the trailer for a move and we will be sleeping in it along the way, I need to build an elevated platform for our bed. I want to be able to store house hold goods under my bed. My plan so far is to secure some 2x4's to the wall on each side about half way up. Then run a few accross to support our weight and cover with plywood. Any suggestions on how to do this would be greatly appreciated. Will the walls support that kind of weight? We have a 3,500 mile road trip.

OK so all I really need to know is will some 2.5" self tapping screws support the weight of a mattress, my wife and I with some bracing of course.
jkreas
Teardrop Inspector

Postby ARIZONA GUIDE » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:22 am

You should be fine. Just brace it up and run 2x4 under the bed platform the full legth of the bed. I did mine with three runners like ribs under the bed platform. My bracing is 2 2x4 leggs on each side wall with one 2x4 LAid across the top of those leggs. I screwed them flat to the wall with 2.5 screws. I am a goo 230 lbs and my wife is 120 lbs. ANd it holds us fine so far. This trailer is for me and the boys. So i sleep up top and they sleep on the floor under the bed With there feet to the back doors and heads out from under the bed. Good luck on your move I hope all goes well.
ARIZONA GUIDE
Teardrop Advisor

A little closer

Postby jkreas » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:55 pm

So I've got the platform up for the wife and my bed, tomorrow I hope to have the childrens bed up. I will post some pics tomorrow if I have time. I would like to add that this is only temporary and when I get to my my new home I will be putting in permanent cabinets, beds, etc... I thought that I would have time to run the basic electricity but I'm not sure that I will be able to. I have 33 days left until D-day and with work getting in the way it seems that I can't get everything done the way I want. All in all I'm having fun with my build. :D
jkreas
Teardrop Inspector

Postby edcasey » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:35 pm

I may have gone a little overboard :lol: when I made my elevated bed but my son will soon be sleeping below the bed so I wanted to be sure it stayed in place. I secured 2 X 6 ledger boards (I'm sure 2 X 4's would have been fine but I only had 2 X 6's in my garage so I used them) to the rear and side walls and then added two legs on each wall to help hold up the ledger. I used 2 1/2 inch self tapping screws with fender washers to secure them to the campers wall posts. Along the front, I used angle iron to hold it up supported by some black pipe (something else I had in my garage).

edcasey
Teardrop Master

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions