Why convert than build from scratch?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Why convert than build from scratch?

Postby WA » Sat May 02, 2009 10:25 pm

Hi gentle people,
I am truly torn. I am 6'4", reasonably skilled with hand tools, and was considering building something like the 'diner'. The added room of a cargo is appealing, and, I haven't priced, but have to ask, what is the appeal in cargo conversion versus a scratch build? Not throwing rocks...really. What are some of the reasons for going cargo conversion versus scratch build?
Best.
WA
WA
Teardrop Builder

Postby campinwi » Sat May 02, 2009 11:16 pm

I wanted my husband to build a lil diner, we decided on a cargo trailer instead. The trailer has a little more room, so I can even use it when I take the grandkids. It will be tight, but it could work. With my daughter going off to college next year, we could also use it move her stuff.

I see the trailer as being more multi purpose. The one I have is 5'6" on the insde, so I can stand up in it. My son is taller, and he had to slouch a little but he thought it wasn't too bad.

I figured if I decide that I want to get something ese to camp in years from now, I can still use the trailer to haul things.
campinwi
Teardrop Advisor

Answer

Postby Prem » Sun May 03, 2009 1:12 am

WA,

1. More interior volume than a teardrop
2. Already skinned and roofed with zero-maintenance metal (usually aluminum that doesn't rust or need paint)
3. Dozens of hours of labor saved
4. You don't need a shop just to do the inside of a trailer

Hope that helps.

Prem :ok:
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby dwgriff1 » Sun May 03, 2009 9:46 am

In my case I have the trailer left from a career in construction, and the market for used box trailers is not good right now. And why sell any way.

Like others have written, I see it as a very versatile rig. I will build cabinets into mine that will be useful, but that will allow the trailer to be used to haul other things too.

I help people move, I haul food from the state food bank an hour away for a local charity. I use it to store materials. It is all sorts of useful and will make a decent foul weather camping rig.

A cargo trailer is not the lightest trailers, but they are hearty critters.

dave
dwgriff1
500 Club

Postby ARIZONA GUIDE » Sun May 03, 2009 10:54 am

Mine was also my Work trailer from my Bathroom renovation company. I have gone back to work for someone to let them have the head ache of the economy troubles right now. What a change in my health. Anyways I have a 27 foot trailer for when we go camping as a family (The wife and I with out four children). The the Cargo is for the two boys and I to useon our father and son outings When we are Gold prospecting and hunting with the ladies at home. Our Cargo will be like a rough hunting shack. Just a place to get in out of the weather when it turns against us. I am debating on putting windows in because i like the security of not having Widows for storing tools and things like that in it. Then again if someone wants in they will get in.

I just had over 2 thousand dollars worth of tools taken out of my work van while i was on the job site only 100 feet away from the hole i was in fixing a leak.

Anyways I would agree with all the points made in the above posts. They are a well made, pre made trailer that was made to withstand the weather.
ARIZONA GUIDE
Teardrop Advisor

Postby rainjer17 » Sun May 03, 2009 11:47 am

multipurpose was my reason/excuse.
rainjer17
Teardrop Builder

Postby digimark » Sun May 03, 2009 12:07 pm

Multi-purpose and more room for me, plus I don't have the confidence to build a trailer from scratch. (Still struggling with making cabinets!) We like to run outdoor movies and carrying all the stuff required (inflatable screen, projector, carts and tables, speakers, generator, popcorn machine, etc.) is too much for my SUV, so a trailer that can be both camping and cargo is very appealing.
--
-- Gary Goldberg/Chesapeake Beach, MD/KA3ZYW
-- http://www.digimark.net/og/
digimark
Teardrop Master

Postby ARIZONA GUIDE » Sun May 03, 2009 12:37 pm

We show the movie right on the side of my brother in laws cargo when we go to the family reunion. We take the camp trailer and have a spot that would work perfect but the decals on the camp trailer make the movei look bad.
ARIZONA GUIDE
Teardrop Advisor

Postby kevin57 » Sun May 03, 2009 3:46 pm

I got a good deal on my trailer, and since I didn't have a garage it seemed to be the way to go.
Kevin

happy wife = happy life
kevin57
Teardrop Advisor

Postby edcasey » Tue May 05, 2009 11:23 pm

The simple answer for me was to save time. We're starting to plan a new project but this time we will custom order the trailer with as many items already installed as possible such as windows, additional 14 x 14 hole in the ceiling for an A/C, an RV door, vinyl flooring.... I think paying a little more for the trailer will save a lot of time and still allow us to build a custom interior.
edcasey
Teardrop Master

Postby packerz4 » Wed May 06, 2009 6:54 am

no leaks.
~ Go Packers! ~
www.2bagalot.com
packerz4
Donating Member

Postby Walt M » Fri May 08, 2009 5:10 pm

When every used 6'x12' was going to cost me about $2,000.00. I decided to build my own. it'll cost me less than $1,500.0
ImageImage Walt
All that is needed for evil to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.
Walt M
The 300 Club

Postby WA » Fri May 08, 2009 9:21 pm

To everyone that responded,
Thanks so much for your input. When I started lurking here a few months ago, I was certain I wanted to build a Lil Diner. Most likely will in the near future, however, I reexamined why I wanted to build a trailer and once I got the essentials down on paper, a cargo converson started looking better and better.

I just finished loading up the Suburban with my 3 person tent, sleeping bag, and air mattress. I'm headed out to Virginina International Raceway in the morning for two days of working the races with the SCCA and one night of camping on the ground, or, in the back of the Suburban if the thunderstorms come in. I realize that as I age, getting in and out of a tent that is right on the ground is not as easy as it used to be. Spending an hour loading the truck so that I can spend whatever amount of time making and breaking camp for one night, just made me recognize the value of a cargo.

I'm getting ready to start building an outdoor kitchen at home and have no way to haul material. I was going to buy a HF trailer, build my outdoor project and then build my tear on the trailer. Now I think I might buy a cargo to haul material with. It can be camped in without modification, and then can evolve over time into its highest and best use.

Thanks again all...when I start, you will be the second to know. :Flippin Burger:
Best,
WA
WA
Teardrop Builder

1st Stand-ee

Postby Spotman » Sat May 09, 2009 4:06 am

WA,
This was my first "Stand-ee", long gone now. :( But the trailer was used to downsize, several times. Look through my album, just about everyone was built on that frame.

Bob

Are you in Virginia?
2018 Heartland Terry Classic V21
2018 Toyota Tundra DC
Spotman
500 Club

Postby Stealth TDI » Sat May 09, 2009 10:48 am

Hello,

I've been researching cargo trailers fairly aggressively as of late. I'd like to stick with a 5x8 since I'm towing with a VW. The problem with the 5x8 is I need a rear door which is at least 56" wide so I may roll-in a go-cart. Most 5x8s come with a door which is less than 50 inches wide. If I build my own, then I can make the doors just a few inches less than the width of the 5' trailer. I'm still considering a cargo trailer over a tear since I'd like the additional headroom, even if I only build one which is 56" tall inside.

Just a thought if the door size matters. :)

Scott
Stealth TDI
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions