Pulling Cargo Trailer with Toyota Tacoma

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Pulling Cargo Trailer with Toyota Tacoma

Postby kempshark » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:26 pm

Hello, I'm interested in converting a cargo trailer, and of course I'd like a decent sized one (stand in and decent room for a bed). I will be pulling it with a 2009 Tacoma (V6, long bed, with tow package). The tow rating is 6500lbs so weight isn't much of an issue, but I'm wondering about size. Would a 7 foot wide model (probably 78" high) be just to much behind this truck? I like the idea of the 7 foot width so I could put the bed across the width of the trailer. Are any of you guys pulling with a Tacoma or a smaller truck?
kempshark
Teardrop Inspector

Postby El3mo » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:21 am

Hey there,

I have a 2002 Tacoma and have pulled several trailers with it.
If it is under the weight ( I like it to keep it under 5000 lbs.)
the only real issue I've had is seeing around it.
I've used strapped on extension mirrors and they work fine.

When I do my conversion I plan on a 6x12 so I don't have to fuss
with anything, but I do understand that real desire for headroom
and a few extra sq. feet.
El3mo
Teardrop Inspector

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:59 am

Hopefully, both of you are talking about trailers that have their own braking systems, right? If not, please get out your Toyota manuals and leaf back to the brakes section. Sort of 'hidden' in there should be a caveat about the weight a trailer can be if you are towing without brakes. Also, check to see what your particular state allows, so you will know what is legal. In California, a trailer must have brakes if is weighs more than 1500 lbs.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Prem » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:33 pm

Sharon is right on about trailer brakes. :thumbsup:

Read my post about my son towing two cargo trailers with his Tacoma at the link below.

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby edcasey » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:02 pm

Florida, where Kempshark lives, requires trailer brakes on trailers with a gross vehicle weight of 3000 pounds or more. Here is a pretty good guide that covers most towing laws by state. It's a little hard to use because of the way they formatted it but it's pretty complete. http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm.
ED
edcasey
Teardrop Master

Postby Matap » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:51 pm

I'm about to purchase a 7 x 14 trailer and my first concern wasn't the weight of pulling but the weight of stopping. The trailer I'm getting has electric brakes on all 4 wheels. Your breaking should be your biggest concern. get yourself a weight distribution hitch and sway bar and that will really make your tow experience better and safer not only for you but for others around you as well. Get a good proportional brake controller, this actually applies the same amount of pressure proportional to the tow vehicle. if you tap lightly the brakes of your truck then the trailer gets that same amount of pressure if you mash down hard on them same thing. I have a 2010 Tacoma V6 4.0 4x4 with a factory tow package as well and know a few other guys that tow with that same truck and the first thing they say is make sure the brakes are good and work good at all times and you shouldn't have any problem having a safe trip.
Matap
Teardrop Inspector

Tacoma Forum

Postby filbert993 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:12 pm

I found the following to be quite informative...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/towing ... bible.html
filbert993
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Roadthunder » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:45 pm

I'm towing a 6x10 Cargomate w/brakes with my '11 Tacoma Offroad double cab short bed. I'm hauling a combo of the following... Dirt bikes, mountain bikes, surf, camping gear, etc..

I'm not carrying a lot of weight. Less than 2000 at most ever but brakes are key. I also couldn't even imagine ever pulling close to 6500ibs with my truck. It does pull like a champ my set up.

Funny I had ambitious plans of really outfitting the inside but noticed a big difference between the trailer loaded and unloaded weight wise. I did a few big hauls to the dump and moved out of a rented 1000sq ft man cave/workshop/storage place. I've now just decided to throw in some E track for bunk set up, insulate, herculiner floor and add a couple of lightweight shelves in the fore of the trailer and call it good.

Lighter is better.

If I were to pull a 7x14 trailer, especially with a lot of highway miles and much over 2500ibs I'd probably get a bigger truck.
Roadthunder
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Pulling Cargo Trailer with Toyota Tacoma

Postby toyota_mdt_tech » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:38 pm

kempshark wrote:Hello, I'm interested in converting a cargo trailer, and of course I'd like a decent sized one (stand in and decent room for a bed). I will be pulling it with a 2009 Tacoma (V6, long bed, with tow package). The tow rating is 6500lbs so weight isn't much of an issue, but I'm wondering about size. Would a 7 foot wide model (probably 78" high) be just to much behind this truck? I like the idea of the 7 foot width so I could put the bed across the width of the trailer. Are any of you guys pulling with a Tacoma or a smaller truck?

Pull it with ease. I bought a new 7X16 enclosed enclosed cargo trailer and pull it easily with my 98 Tacoma, had the V6, 5 spd. That trailer new weighed in about 2,100 lbs.

http://home.comcast.net/~ssauer40/cargomate/cargomate.html

And a picture of it at a local race track in tow.
American Tragedys
12/07/1941 * 09/11/2001 * 11/04/2008
toyota_mdt_tech
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions