6X12 Haulmark "Fly Fishing Camper"

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: 6X12 Haulmark "Fly Fishing Camper".

Postby Gonefishin » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:59 pm

I could see myself in this. A little too much? Maybe. Saw this on the Madison River. Camp host/caretaker lives in it, riverside, just outside Ennis, MT. Didn't get a close look or a peek inside.
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Re: 6X12 Haulmark "Fly Fishing Camper".

Postby McDave » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:37 pm

Ya just gotta love Montana. We are crazy and weird, but don't you dare try to change us!
McDave
Donating Member

Re: 9 YEARS!!! Update to 6X12 Fly Fishing Camper

Postby Gonefishin » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:34 pm

Its been 9 years since my conversion took shape. What a 9 years its been! My biggest regret is I didn't build one of these 39 years ago instead of 9. But who knew?

I've been to countless trout rivers, towed it on a majority of highways in 5 states, slept like a baby through roughly 800 nights, and tied hundreds of flies in the rain, snow, and dark of night. I've worn out three sets of tires, awaken to one earthquake, broke one leaf spring, and survived one 65mph collision with an antelope that was probably doing about the same speed before impact.

So how is it today? Well, right after the antelope collision a few years back, I pounded and pulled the dents best as possible, re-sealed a couple of seams, and its been dry and good to go since, with a bit of "character." NO frame damage or loss of fishing time. The antelope was definitely harmed, so there's one less to run into us now. It made contact on the driver's side front of the vee, right between the truck and trailer. Never touched the truck, by a fraction of a second!

I did break a leaf spring two years ago driving up a boulder-infested road out of the Yellowstone River. When I limped into a trailer repair center in Livingston, they knew exactly what access road I was driving on. Said they made quite a bit of money on that road! One day fix, no damage.

Those are really the only two mishaps during the whole 9 years and 60,000 miles . . . Other than the ocassional forgetting to close a cabinet, or some shifting during hard-breaking for a deer, elk, or antelope. No damage on those though, just some foreign language. I grease the hell out of my bearings, and haven't had a failure there yet, just a couple of scheduled replacements. I touch them for heat on every gas stop.

The Dickinson propane heater is still going strong, and is still the best thing I did to it. I wouldn't camp without it. Good to go to around +10 lows. Toasty. I carry the propane in the bed of the truck to minimize tongue weight because my deep cycle battery lives on the tongue. I have a rubber gas line that runs from the heater to the outside and to the propane bottle. The hole is quickly plugged with a cork when I travel. Same cork-9 years! No leaks or intruders.

The original interlocking foam floor panels are still intact, and unblemished. I have replaced my throw rugs a couple times. Floor is barefoot-friendly, even in the cold. The memory foam matress on the steel bed frame is like the day I bought it. Its perfect for sleeping, napping, and just kicking back. Its always up and ready, wouldn't want anything folded up.

Those Cabelas nylon "cabinets" are still perfect, despite being loaded to the gills since the day I put them up. I'm both suprised and impressed. Not even a zipper out of place. They weigh nothing, and carry anything including canned goods, stacks of books, and clothes sometimes vacume packed.

The little wood folding wall table I got at Ikea still folds and deploys like new. Had to tighten a couple of screws once or twice.

That redneck, out-of-square chuck box I made is still right in the v nose, and hasn't come apart yet. It holds my stove, propane bottles, cooking and serving utinsels, spices, and a couple of paper towel rolls like it was made for it. It was!

Speaking of redneck, that screen door I made out of a window screen kit and screwed to the inside of the door frame? Yep, its still working, the same one! This is really unbelievable. And it's taken some abouse from the dogs and the wind too. And once my 65 qt cooler slid into the side of it. It bent slightly, but still closes, held tightly by the original magnets, and the little buzzers and blood-suckers still can't get in.

The extra long hitch I've been towing with that allows me to lower the truck tailgate while hitched is working fine. No extra sway or other supposed problems its supposed to cause. I love making tight turns with it.

I'm still using a Coleman Extreme lined and covered with Reflectix for refrigeration. I get a few days between ice runs even in July 90+ heat. In the fall, its a week. A water jug is still the easiest freshwater solution for cooking, dishes, etc. I carry less each season. Just don't need much, and refills anywhere are easy. I carry separate drinking water anyway.

My single group 29 deep-cycle 12-volt power solution hasn't gone dead yet, not once. The little 30 watt solar panel I added 6 or 7 years ago works well, even in low-sun season. I can point it where it needs to be to get the most light. Easy to sweep snow off of too, or bring in out of the hail storm. My power is all wired directly from the plugs inside the trailer to the battery. I don't have any fancy (smart?) boxes or junctions. Maybe it was supposed to catch fire or blow up by now, but I've never even blown an in-line fuse! Straight wire from 12-volt plugs to the battery with inline fuses. That's it. Same with the solar panel. Just the controller in line to the battery. Direct. I sometimes run the LED lights (The only way to go!), charge a laptop, plug in a couple of phones and a Kindle, run the furnace fan, and plug in a portable light to tie flies by, all at once. I used to use a 12 v electric blanket on the bed, but not with the Dickinson. No tv, electronic appliances, fridge, or other such luxuries. But, I can wake up, secure everything, unplug the propane, and be rollin' out of camp in under 15 minutes! Move on a whim.

I did try the portable shower for a season or two, but still find its easier to take a sponge bath and use body wipes, and spring for a commercial shower when I pass by one and need it. I know where they all are in relation to everyplace I fish in the 5 northern Rocky Mountain states, and its a pleasure to use all the hot water I want for $5 to $10. No winterizing, worrying about gray water, heating, splashing, or anything else regarding plumbing. Speaking of plumbing . . . The simple porta-potty with heavy WAG bag or trash compactor bags is the way to go, and I know something about that due to health reasons. Just trust me. Use it and dispose of it. No tanks, dumping, or more plumbing issues. Wife agrees too! There's public restrooms and outhouses on the big rivers.

So, there's an update. Converted cargo trailers are bombproof, and antelope-proof, at least in my case. I live in it a couple months a year plus a few weeks. Windows haven't leaked, roof hasn't leaked, roof vents haven't leaked. No fires. Interior and exterior lights all work and have never been replaced or changed. Shout-out to Haulmark. So far, so good.

Every winter the thought crosses my mind to build another one, but most things I wouldn't change. Things I would change are minor. (Aluminum? Wider? More insulation? Different window arrangement? Square nose?) Today, I'm ahead of the game financially. Way ahead. It has paid for itself many times over, and we're like, friends, you know. This trailer and I have seen some wonderful country, sheltered each other in some wild storms, and caught a hell of a lot of fish along the way! Still a keeper. :D
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Re: 6X12 Haulmark "Fly Fishing Camper".--UPDATED!

Postby featherliteCT1 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:36 pm

Great write up! Very functional set up … I like it … I am thinking about getting one of those Dickenson heaters … I like the idea of venting the exhaust outside to avoid moisture buildup inside the trailer … it is bad enough with just the moisture generated by breathing.

Does the heater make much sound when you stand outside the trailer operating in high or low mode?
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby hankaye » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:06 pm

Gonefishin, Howdy;

WOW, 9 years and counting, impressive to say the least.

What I find the most interesting is that you have what would be considered
the minimalist of insulation, air and a single layer of Refletex. We had a saying
in the Navy that our shop was so used to doing the most with the least that we
could almost do anything with nothing. About expresses what you've done with
your mobile fish camp.
Please, don't stop rockin' it ... :thumbsup: , :thumbsup: !

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Rainier70 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:16 pm

Glad it is still working for you! :applause: You have an awesome fishing camp there. :thumbsup:
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby flboy » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:57 pm

Nice write-up. Thanks for sharing. So glad it has worked out for you.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby sheluvsmuddin » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:29 pm

I haven't had the opportunity to purchase my own trailer yet but I'm in awe of yours. Good to see a fellow Utaher... I love that yours is simple and useful in all aspects. Thanks for all the wonderful ideas.
sheluvsmuddin
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Gonefishin » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:15 pm

featherliteCT1 wrote:.Does the heater make much sound when you stand outside the trailer operating in high or low mode?

I can't hear the heater fan at all standing outside the trailer. Even inside, its a very low sound, and my ears are pretty sensitive to rattles and annoying background noise. I can hear it inside, but its almost a pleasant sound. The fan speed has a variable speed adjustment (rheostat?). The flame adjustment is also variable, not just low and high. It lets me dial in just the right about of heat. The flickering of the flame is much the same. I find it soothing, and really like the glass door.
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Postby fishboat » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:27 am

Thanks for the "looking back" review. I like your simplicity..and it appears you made good decisions going in as they've stood the test of time. :thumbsup:
fishboat
Teardrop Master

Postby walkrdg » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:56 am

Gonefishin,

Thanks for taking the time to update. In 2013, I ordered a 6x14 single-axle Haulmark Transport after a period of researching, and your input had a lot to do with the result. I haven't converted the trailer except to insulate, as life kind of got in the way. I have, however, accumulated over 16,000 miles on it in moving my household, first from Reno, NV to near Bellingham, WA, and now to Pahrump, NV. Maybe NOW I can get to it! It has done excellent service and pulled surprisingly well with a 2000 Toyota Tacoma 4wd V6.

I have greatly enjoyed your photos and descriptions and followed them closely.

Dave
walkrdg
Teardrop Builder

Postby low277 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:13 am

I to have read your posts with interest since before I became a member. :)

Thank you for the long term update, especially insightful considering the amount of use you have had with yours.

Keep enjoying it and having fun! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
NW Minnesota
low277
Donating Member

Postby kirkupnorth » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:03 pm

I have never seen flooring like that. It looks great, and I can see how comfortable it would be. Nice choice!!
kirkupnorth
Teardrop Master

Re: 9 YEARS!!! Update to 6X12 Fly Fishing Camper

Postby Gonefishin » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:35 pm

10 years. A decade! Still rollin'. I posted this update a year ago. The only change is a slight leak somewhere near the back door. Noticed it on the way home from my last trip in October. Its been frozen since then. I think its just weatherstripping around the door. Will look when the snow melts. Soon! But overall, these things are tough because its been outside in whatever elements the whole time. Hot, cold, snow, rain, sun, ice, and a little hail. Just build it and leave it. I'm way ahead on the investment, and there aren't many things I can say that about. Come to think of it, none except this!
Gonefishin wrote:157134157140
Its been 9 years since my conversion took shape. What a 9 years its been! My biggest regret is I didn't build one of these 39 years ago instead of 9. But who knew?

I've been to countless trout rivers, towed it on a majority of highways in 5 states, slept like a baby through roughly 800 nights, and tied hundreds of flies in the rain, snow, and dark of night. I've worn out three sets of tires, awaken to one earthquake, broke one leaf spring, and survived one 65mph collision with an antelope that was probably doing about the same speed before impact.

So how is it today? Well, right after the antelope collision a few years back, I pounded and pulled the dents best as possible, re-sealed a couple of seams, and its been dry and good to go since, with a bit of "character." NO frame damage or loss of fishing time. The antelope was definitely harmed, so there's one less to run into us now. It made contact on the driver's side front of the vee, right between the truck and trailer. Never touched the truck, by a fraction of a second!

I did break a leaf spring two years ago driving up a boulder-infested road out of the Yellowstone River. When I limped into a trailer repair center in Livingston, they knew exactly what access road I was driving on. Said they made quite a bit of money on that road! One day fix, no damage.

Those are really the only two mishaps during the whole 9 years and 60,000 miles . . . Other than the ocassional forgetting to close a cabinet, or some shifting during hard-breaking for a deer, elk, or antelope. No damage on those though, just some foreign language. I grease the hell out of my bearings, and haven't had a failure there yet, just a couple of scheduled replacements. I touch them for heat on every gas stop.

The Dickinson propane heater is still going strong, and is still the best thing I did to it. I wouldn't camp without it. Good to go to around +10 lows. Toasty. I carry the propane in the bed of the truck to minimize tongue weight because my deep cycle battery lives on the tongue. I have a rubber gas line that runs from the heater to the outside and to the propane bottle. The hole is quickly plugged with a cork when I travel. Same cork-9 years! No leaks or intruders.

The original interlocking foam floor panels are still intact, and unblemished. I have replaced my throw rugs a couple times. Floor is barefoot-friendly, even in the cold. The memory foam matress on the steel bed frame is like the day I bought it. Its perfect for sleeping, napping, and just kicking back. Its always up and ready, wouldn't want anything folded up.

Those Cabelas nylon "cabinets" are still perfect, despite being loaded to the gills since the day I put them up. I'm both suprised and impressed. Not even a zipper out of place. They weigh nothing, and carry anything including canned goods, stacks of books, and clothes sometimes vacume packed.

The little wood folding wall table I got at Ikea still folds and deploys like new. Had to tighten a couple of screws once or twice.

That redneck, out-of-square chuck box I made is still right in the v nose, and hasn't come apart yet. It holds my stove, propane bottles, cooking and serving utinsels, spices, and a couple of paper towel rolls like it was made for it. It was!

Speaking of redneck, that screen door I made out of a window screen kit and screwed to the inside of the door frame? Yep, its still working, the same one! This is really unbelievable. And it's taken some abouse from the dogs and the wind too. And once my 65 qt cooler slid into the side of it. It bent slightly, but still closes, held tightly by the original magnets, and the little buzzers and blood-suckers still can't get in.

The extra long hitch I've been towing with that allows me to lower the truck tailgate while hitched is working fine. No extra sway or other supposed problems its supposed to cause. I love making tight turns with it.

I'm still using a Coleman Extreme lined and covered with Reflectix for refrigeration. I get a few days between ice runs even in July 90+ heat. In the fall, its a week. A water jug is still the easiest freshwater solution for cooking, dishes, etc. I carry less each season. Just don't need much, and refills anywhere are easy. I carry separate drinking water anyway.

My single group 29 deep-cycle 12-volt power solution hasn't gone dead yet, not once. The little 30 watt solar panel I added 6 or 7 years ago works well, even in low-sun season. I can point it where it needs to be to get the most light. Easy to sweep snow off of too, or bring in out of the hail storm. My power is all wired directly from the plugs inside the trailer to the battery. I don't have any fancy (smart?) boxes or junctions. Maybe it was supposed to catch fire or blow up by now, but I've never even blown an in-line fuse! Straight wire from 12-volt plugs to the battery with inline fuses. That's it. Same with the solar panel. Just the controller in line to the battery. Direct. I sometimes run the LED lights (The only way to go!), charge a laptop, plug in a couple of phones and a Kindle, run the furnace fan, and plug in a portable light to tie flies by, all at once. I used to use a 12 v electric blanket on the bed, but not with the Dickinson. No tv, electronic appliances, fridge, or other such luxuries. But, I can wake up, secure everything, unplug the propane, and be rollin' out of camp in under 15 minutes! Move on a whim.

I did try the portable shower for a season or two, but still find its easier to take a sponge bath and use body wipes, and spring for a commercial shower when I pass by one and need it. I know where they all are in relation to everyplace I fish in the 5 northern Rocky Mountain states, and its a pleasure to use all the hot water I want for $5 to $10. No winterizing, worrying about gray water, heating, splashing, or anything else regarding plumbing. Speaking of plumbing . . . The simple porta-potty with heavy WAG bag or trash compactor bags is the way to go, and I know something about that due to health reasons. Just trust me. Use it and dispose of it. No tanks, dumping, or more plumbing issues. Wife agrees too! There's public restrooms and outhouses on the big rivers.

So, there's an update. Converted cargo trailers are bombproof, and antelope-proof, at least in my case. I live in it a couple months a year plus a few weeks. Windows haven't leaked, roof hasn't leaked, roof vents haven't leaked. No fires. Interior and exterior lights all work and have never been replaced or changed. Shout-out to Haulmark. So far, so good.

Every winter the thought crosses my mind to build another one, but most things I wouldn't change. Things I would change are minor. (Aluminum? Wider? More insulation? Different window arrangement? Square nose?) Today, I'm ahead of the game financially. Way ahead. It has paid for itself many times over, and we're like, friends, you know. This trailer and I have seen some wonderful country, sheltered each other in some wild storms, and caught a hell of a lot of fish along the way! Still a keeper. :D
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Postby McDave » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:14 pm

Excellent. Again.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions