6X12 Haulmark "Fly Fishing Camper"

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Postby Trainman45 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:06 pm

Hi Gonefishin,
When you turned your bed sideways you said you used the same frame.
Did you have to cut the frame or trim it to fit.?
Ride the Rails,
Trainman
Trainman45
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Gonefishin » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:38 am

Sorry for the late reply, but yes, I did cut the frame with a hack saw. Its a metal frame, and I didn't need to cut much.
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Postby pete42 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:49 am

I wonder how much the spare tire effects the towing, seems to me where it is placed would interrupt the air flow.
if you have room you might try moving it to the truck bed on one of your trips and see if it does help or hinder.
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Trainman45 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:53 pm

Hi Gonefishin,

Ok, thanks for the info on the bed. If you don't mind, when you get a chance, would you tell me what you used, and how you attached that ring so you can lock your handle on your side door, so you do not get locked in by hooligans. I saw the pics of it in your album, looks like a simple way to do it. I have the same size trailer.
Thank you.
Ride the Rails,
Trainman
Trainman45
Teardrop Advisor

Solar Charger

Postby Gonefishin » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:53 pm

The best investment of my summer: A 30 watt (approx. 2 amp) solar panel with a 10-foot cord on it. It alligator clips straight to the battery. I can lean it anywhere along the side of the trailer at most any favorable angle. I can place it on the front roof of the trailer. I can easily bring it inside in the event of large hail and for travel. At one point this summer, I was parked for 9 days, and my battery remained fully charged day after day. I charged phone(s), ran my laptop regularly, charged a Kindle daily, ran the led lights several hours a day, ran my 12-volt fan a lot, and never worried. It was just over $100 on Amazon, ready to go with a charge controller. It stows easily, hooks up easily, and does the job.
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Re: 6X12 Haulmark "Fly Fishing Camper".

Postby David_L6 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:30 am

Can you post a link to that solar charger please?
David_L6
Donating Member

Postby Gonefishin » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:12 pm

This is the description:

Instapark® NEW All Black 30W Mono-crystalline Solar Panel With a 12V solar charge controller. Its sold in many places, but I got mine for $109 from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004FOGL0K/ref=oh_details_o05_s01_i00
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Postby David_L6 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:29 am

Gonefishin wrote:This is the description:

Instapark® NEW All Black 30W Mono-crystalline Solar Panel With a 12V solar charge controller. Its sold in many places, but I got mine for $109 from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004FOGL0K/ref=oh_details_o05_s01_i00

Thank you. :thumbsup:
David_L6
Donating Member

Re:

Postby rando18 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:05 pm

Prem wrote:
Now we’re at $3,361, have a very functional trailer, and will be sleeping as good as in ANY rv, motel bed, or even my bed at home.

A steal for sure. A real home away from home. Ya dun good.

Prem :thumbsup:

You'll deffinately sleep better than in a Motel.
I can promise you that. For a number of reasons.
My favorite is, all the place you can stop. Quiet places!
Enjoy.
See ya out there.
Rando
rando18
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Gonefishin » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:41 pm

Yes, I've spent about 6 weeks in it so far this year, in just the past 4 months actually. About the only thing I've been missing the past couple nights is all-night heat! Its getting a little cold where I'm at now (Idaho, MT), with overnight temps in the 20's. I get up in the morning, answer natures call, light the heater, crawl back into the heated bed, and wait. My camping season is about over, but this trailer conversion is the best thing I've done in a long time. Don't know how I ever got by without it. Still beats a motel most of the time. Solar panel makes 12-volt power a non-issue. Plenty.
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Postby rando18 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:09 pm

Get a Mr Heater Big Buddy. There's no need to be cold.
And a Porta Potty. They're both no brainers.

See ya out there
Rando
rando18
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Gonefishin » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:08 pm

Oh, I've got both! But, I don't leave the propane heater on while I sleep, even with CO detectors. Don't want to die.

And I have a Pett porta potty as well as a pee can, so don't ever have to go outside for that. But I still have to get out of bed to safely ignite the propane heater and take a leak. Its been around 40 inside at sunrise, and gets up to about 60 after about 30-45 minutes of running the heater, warm enough to get up and start the hot choc., bacon, and eggs.

I sleep warm at night with the electric blanket. Its just that first little shot of cold air when warming things up in the morning. But there's NO WAY I'm sleeping at night with a propane heater on. I have had my CO detector go off after a few hours of just having the heater running in the morning when I'm awake, even with a couple windows cracked.
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Postby rando18 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:40 am

David_L6 wrote:Can you post a link to that solar charger please?

Costco has a nice solar panel that I bought, if interested.
It's at the online store.
It's a 100 watt solar panel for $189.00

Rando
rando18
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Kankujoe » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:36 pm

I love the decor of your trailer. Reminds me of a few of the lodges/motels I stayed in while traveling the Alaska Hwy.
Joe

Ad-ven-ture: 1. an undertaking involving risk, unforeseeable danger, or unexpected excitement. 2. an exciting or remarkable experience. Trav-el-er: 1. one who seeks to experience their world. 2. one who seeks to be immersed in other cultures.
Kankujoe
Adventure Traveler

Postby Gonefishin » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:00 pm

Kankujoe wrote:I love the decor of your trailer. Reminds me of a few of the lodges/motels I stayed in while traveling the Alaska Hwy.

Thanks! I think of it as my own mobile fishing lodge on wheels. I've spent part of my life working at and managing fishing lodges in Alaska and Canada, so the fish/bear/water/outdoor decor is just what I've always been used to. I never thought a 6X12 cargo trailer could ever feel so much like home. I could damn near live in the thing, especially if summer never ended and I didn't have to work.

My wife doesn't miss many quilt/fabric shops in our travels, so when I see something that jumps out, I "suggest" she get some and do something with it. (I don't miss many fly fishing shops either!) That leads to bed spreads, blankets, curtains, slip covers, vent covers, pillow cases, . . . She'll sew anything.
Gonefishin
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions