First Camping trip someone tried to Steal our Trailer

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Postby RvMan56 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:56 pm

Well it's like this, I didn't say anything cause I want no one to think I am prejudice cause I am Not! But on the way back to camp we met a Suburban full of ....... and I had a bad feeling as I passed them cause they just looked out of place sorta speaking, plus I talked with another camper whom had just came back 15 minutes earlier and he said they were looking things over a his spot and acting suspicious. So probably but couldn't prove it if I wanted too. Hope this paragraph doesn't get me banned, if it does you started it hahhaha
:worship:
Well I got the plumbing parts for the toilet and shower, guess I'll have to work tomorrow.

P.S. I also have another surprise for the next time, I used to do some I spy work a few years ago so I got the ole camera out and will be putting it in the woods, has infrared, a great zoom and records 8 hrs, ghee hope the battery is still good.
RvMan56
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Arne » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:11 am

couldn't find the thread about the stolen t/d, so will stick this here...

I was looking at hemmings because when I was up there about 20 years ago they were redoing about a 1935 ford with an airplane fuselage looking body with a similar looking t/d in tow... I tried to find it by googling and ran into this site... if the t/d is still missing this might be a good place to put a free ad... I'm sure it gets a lot of hits from car guys..

http://www.hemmings.com/complaints/stolen.html
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Prem » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:24 am

RvMan56,

I go to Mexico every winter. My friends down there who own businesses are getting very worried that the cartel gangsters are going to turn the whole country into something resembling Somalia.

We have lots of problems in the forests here in northern California and southern Oregon with illegals. They are growing weed in the national forests. So far, they scatter when raided by law enforcement. They find places to grow because their previous job was in reforestation in the same forests.

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby mdvaden » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:41 am

This is why I only leave my trailer at a state campground in California when I hike in the redwoods. Or in front of the operations center with another vehicle in front along the highway if we take my truck behind the gate.

Also, I had vinyl lettering made for the back of the trailer, as a theft deterrent. It IDs my trailer. And the letters actually take some time to take off. It would cost someone an hour to pull all the lettering. And someone would need to steal the trailer in a matter of minutes, not hours for where I park.

If someone has to abandon a trailer for hours and hours, it may be worth the 5 minutes to pull a tire and wheel off and hide it in the vicinity. Theives don't go around usually with spare trailer wheels.
mdvaden
Teardrop Master

Postby drcurran » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:08 am

Great idea on taking off a wheel! Thanks!
"I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was."
TK
drcurran
Teardrop Master

Postby Oasis Maker » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:18 am

I certainly can't speculate as to who tried to steal your RV, but I admit that I have been lured into a false sense of security. I posted some time ago how I owned a Pitbull Wolverine Tirelock but rarely used it.

I initially thought I would be doing a lot of remote camping with the teardrop left unattended, but instead I ended up doing my hardcore expeditions with the Jeep only and tent camp. That left my teardrop experience to beautiful, established campgrounds on the ocean with security, etc. Add to that the attention that teardrops get from other campers, and I thought I was covered.

Well, I take my Pitbull Tirelock for the teardrop every time I camp now. I grew up in a major city and I would just shake my head whenever I heard this often used dumbfounded quote from victims, "I never thought it would happen here...?".

Scott

Jeeping, Teardropping, and Cycling!......Where To Next?
Jeep Wave>> :peace: <<Jeep Wave
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby michiganflipper » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:14 am

here is a cable that I use to lock up my Bal Leveler through the tire and then around the spring
here it is around the spring
michiganflipper
Teardrop Master

Postby RvMan56 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:46 pm

Wow great idea's, I like the thick cable idea, we went to a campground in South Fork, Co this weekend, even tho the trailer wasn't really ready we had a good time camping in it. The toilet is fastened to the floor so I stuck a bucket under the pipe for the late night wake up, worked great.
We passed a brown teardrop headed west on US 160, it looked nice. The new replace jack work great. We missed some great ATVing tho, my wife cracked or broke a rib last week at work fighting with a wheel chair. :oops:

Later :D
RvMan56
Teardrop Inspector

Postby michiganflipper » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:10 pm

hope your wife is doing well
michiganflipper
Teardrop Master

Postby RvMan56 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:55 pm

She is doing better. Where soes everyone get their windows from?

Kelly :thinking:
RvMan56
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Crazylegs » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:48 am

HOW TO INSTALL A HOME SECURITY SYSTEM IN THE SOUTH

1. Go to a second-hand store and buy a pair of men's used size 14-16 work boots.

2. Place them on your front porch, along with a copy of Guns & Ammo magazine and your NRA magazines.

3. Put a few giant-sized dog dishes next to the boots and magazine.

4. Leave a note on your door that reads:

"Hey Bubba, Big Jim, Duke, and Slim,

I went for more ammunition. Back in about an hour.

Don't mess with the pit bulls -- they attacked

the mailman this morning and messed him up

real bad. I don't think Killer took part in it, but it was

hard to tell from all the blood. Anyways,

I locked all four of 'em in the house.

Better wait in your truck till I get back."
Crazylegs
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Karl » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:51 am

Crazylegs wrote:HOW TO INSTALL A HOME SECURITY SYSTEM IN THE SOUTH

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Karl
Tear Jerkers Director - Great Lakes Chapter
Karl
Silver Donating Member

Up Dated some Photo's

Postby RvMan56 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:59 pm

Finally took some update photo of new lock, sewer install and misc stuff.

Kelly
P.S. 2nd link
8)
RvMan56
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Matap » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:08 pm

damn, sorry to hear, but unfortunately this world is full of jerks and no good for nothing people. I would almost be tempted to install some kind of alarm like that of a car or something and have the siren blairing from the top of the roof. an alarm on a cargo trailer, that for sure would get someones attention.
Matap
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:51 am

I am still thinking about this. I have a cable lock for accessories e.g. the air conditioner. I do however know they are vulnerable to a bolt cutter and about the only thing likely to be a real deterrent is case hardened chain and lock of sufficient size Quadrachain makes a square link chain that is harder to cut because the flat surfaces distribute the force of the cutter. A sufficiently sized case hardened chain will defeat a 3' bolt cutter and resist a powered cut off saw longer.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions