Installing Windows

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Installing Windows

Postby milkbone » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:01 am

I ordered windows for my ct, and have a few questions about windows and the installation. The windows arrived and I'm waiting on the trim rings to arrive, special order due wall thickness.
:? How does the trim ring attach to the window?
Does it attach with screws or clips?
If it attaches with screws, when you tighten the screws, does it make a tighter fit on the outside ring to the trailer? I hope it does, cause the outside ring is metal and I think I have to put some kind of caulk under ring to get it to seal better.
:thinking:
I've looked at other threads on windows and none of them mentioned this. They were mostly about cutting the hole out for the windows. Some great advice as usual :thumbsup:

Last edited by milkbone on Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
milkbone
Teardrop Inspector

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:19 am

Might depend on the windows you're using. Have any pics/links to what you bought?

My window(door) fit from the outside, and the trim ring is on the inside. Screws went through the trim ring into the window frame and pulled it tight against the side wall.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Bretttylerwhite » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:15 pm

Milk bone I'm having the same problem!! I received, from ebay, the window that mounts from the outside and the window ring, with screw holes, that mounts from the inside.

The confussion for me is, where/how do the screws, after coming through the window ring, anchor to the actual window? There are no holes in the window, nor is there an obvious place for me to drill a hole. Also,drilling any hole would ruin the smooth profile on the outside of the window.

How do I secure the window if I can't anchor it to the window ring somehow?

This is an obvious case of ignorance, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Bretttylerwhite
Teardrop Inspector

Postby SmilinJack » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:00 pm

I bought my window off E-bay as well. I also had to have a custom trim ring. It didn't come with screws. I called and the seller told me to buy #8 SS screws 1/2 inch long. On mine there were holes in the trim ring. I screwed the 1/2" #8 SS screws into the little groove around the inside edge of the window. Try laying the trim ring on the window on a flat surface and see if the holes don't line up with that groove...
Jack
SmilinJack
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Bretttylerwhite » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:01 pm

They line up perfectly!! I never would have thought It would anchor to that lil groove. Thanks!
Bretttylerwhite
Teardrop Inspector

Postby madjack » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:28 pm

Bretttylerwhite wrote:They line up perfectly!! I never would have thought It would anchor to that lil groove. Thanks!

...that is perzactly how it is done...don't forget, you will need a sealer under the window flange...either a butyl tape or a good grade of an elastometric caulk.....................
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Ogoki » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:49 am

I purchased 2 windows like the ones in the first post . I called Frank Bear whom I purchased the windows from and was told not to use anything to seal the windows as the rubber around the inside of the window would seal it . I was planning to use butyl tape. I am now concerned as what I want to do??? Looks like the tape would do a better job of preventing leakage ?? Your thoughts appreciated .
Ogoki
Teardrop Inspector

Postby pete42 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:41 am

I looked at the pictures and I was not able to see any rubber seal does it have a rubber seal?
I have only repaired windows that leaked I used the butyl tape it sealed very well no more leaks.
I vote for tape unless it interfers with the screws somehow.
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Ogoki » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:23 pm

The piece in the above picture is the trim ring that goes inside . The window itself has the rubber seal . At least the ones I have do. My trim rings look the same as above . I usually go with the istructions I get where I purchase something but I feel the tape will make it seal more long term . I usually do what I feel is right anyway, but wanted some input . Thanks
Ogoki
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Matap » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:14 pm

I hate to just butt in, but I see the OP is talking about custom trim rings for the windows. I'm about to purchase my CT and put windows in it. How will I know that the thickness isn't think enough prior to purchasing and where did you get the custom trim rings from?
Matap
Teardrop Inspector

Postby SmilinJack » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:10 pm

Matap,

1. If you're buying a new CT, you could ask the dealer for the wall thickness. He SHOULD be able to tell you. If you don't trust him or you're buying a used CT, drill a hole through the inside wall in the area where you will be putting the window. At this point I wouldn't drill all the way through the outside metal. Insert a dowel rod, a long bolt, or a tape measure into the hole and push it gently against the outside metal. Mark the dowel rod or bolt or read the tape measure and you'll have the thickness of the wall.

2. If you're buying a window, ask the seller if it comes with a trim ring for the thickness of your walls. If it doesn't, ask if you can purchase a custom ring. If you can't, I'd find another seller. Some windows come with a particular size trim ring, but it may not be the one to fit your walls. Just my 2 cents worth...
Jack
SmilinJack
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Matap » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:50 am

Jack, thanks for the reply. SOunds like a good idean. now typically, what is the thickness of most cargo trailers. I did start to see that some windows say they come with an up to 2.5 trim ring. Do you think that would be good enough. anyways. I'll be buying the CT next month and will have plenty of time to check the wall thickness and order the right ring, but never hurts to know ahead of time.
Matap
Teardrop Inspector

Postby SmilinJack » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:31 am

I think the wall thickness varies quite a bit from trailer to trailer. My research shows that you should buy a trim ring that fits your exact wall thickness, or at least within 1/8 of an inch, to ensure a proper fit and to prevent possible leaks.

There are quite a few threads here about installing windows. I tried to read them all before I installed mine.

Be Sure to measure twice and cut once or you may end up with a hole that's too big for the window. (Don't ask me how I know.)
Jack
SmilinJack
Teardrop Advisor

Postby vreihen » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:10 pm

Matap wrote:now typically, what is the thickness of most cargo trailers. I did start to see that some windows say they come with an up to 2.5 trim ring.

If I'm not mistaken, the common spec is 1" OD square box tubing for the studs, 1/4" interior plywood, and 1/32" sheet metal outer skin. If my math is correct, that's 1.25", which seems like a common window trim ring size.....
vreihen
Teardrop Master

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions