Horton Hauler

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Horton Hauler

Postby Optimistic Paranoid » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:47 pm

Hi everybody.

New guy here, first post.

I've been hanging out in "L & L" mode (Lurking and Learning) for several months. Some amazing - and very inspiring posts here.

Somebody near me is advertising a 2005 Horton Hauler, 7' X 16', already insulated, for $4,000. No details in the ad as to single or dual axles, electric brakes, or anything else, will have to call them to inquire.

I'm not familiar with that brand. Does anybody here have a Horton? Good trailer, well constructed?

Does 4 grand sound fair, exorbitant, a bargain?

Love to hear any thoughts about this, I really want to get my own CT and start working on my own conversion. I want something that size, would love to find a real bargain, but am willing to pay a fair price.

Thanks for any and all responses.

Regards
John
Regards
John

Life is not about discovering yourself. Life is about CREATING yourself!
Optimistic Paranoid
Teardrop Builder

Postby Steve_Cox » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:09 pm

Hi John,

Welcome to the forum. I did some looking at Horton Trailers and think you might could do better, but it depends on what each one has as options.

Here's one in Georgia that is newer and $2200 less. Hope this helps.

2006 Horton Hauler 16'x7' Double Axle trailer. White In Color. 2 5/16" ball. double rear doors. Electric brakes. $1800 OBO Call (706)533-2957

Also,if you are not familiar with some of the Craigslist search tools, here is a pretty good one.

http://www.searchtempest.com/
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby vreihen » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:25 pm

The cargo trailer industry is cutting it's throat trying to make new sales, and you can pick up a brand new trailer for less than a used one in many cases. A brand new 2011 model south Georgia entry-level 8.5x24' car hauler with spring axles can be purchased for under $4,000, if you're willing to travel to pick it up.

There are two major centers of cargo trailer manufacturing east of the Mississippi. One is south Georgia, and the other one is Elkhart, Indiana. South Georgia trailers are cheaper to purchase, but Elkhart may be a whole lot closer to you depending on where in upstate NY you are. The only pitfall to buying factory direct is that you are probably buying sight unseen, which may or may not be a problem depending on how far you plan to rip the trailer down during your conversion. Another thing to look out for is that the advertised trailers are usually loss-leaders with the cheapest materials, and adding things like a one-piece roof, radial tires, and torsion axle(s) could add 25% onto the cost if you consider these important. (I bought my trailer primarily to haul my race car, and these things were important to me.)

My only other caution would be to look up approximate weights of steel or aluminum trailers in the sizes you're considering on some different manufacturer's web sites, just to get an idea of how heavy a particular size will run. An empty dual-axle 7 x 16' steel trailer will probably tip the scales at 2,300 pounds, so plan your tow vehicle accordingly.....
vreihen
Teardrop Master

Postby Optimistic Paranoid » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:25 am

Steve_Cox wrote:Hi John,

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks. I'm very happy I found this place.

Steve_Cox wrote:
Also,if you are not familiar with some of the Craigslist search tools, here is a pretty good one.

http://www.searchtempest.com/

In fact, I was NOT familiar with SearchTempest. This is going to be a big help. Thank you!

Regards
John
Regards
John

Optimistic Paranoid
Teardrop Builder

Postby Optimistic Paranoid » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:36 am

vreihen wrote:The cargo trailer industry is cutting it's throat trying to make new sales, and you can pick up a brand new trailer for less than a used one in many cases. A brand new 2011 model south Georgia entry-level 8.5x24' car hauler with spring axles can be purchased for under $4,000, if you're willing to travel to pick it up.

An excellent point, but unless the savings are truly massive, not worth a round-trip of several days and a couple of thousands of miles to me. Would definitely be worth it if I lived closer to one of these places.

vreihen wrote:My only other caution would be to look up approximate weights of steel or aluminum trailers in the sizes you're considering on some different manufacturer's web sites, just to get an idea of how heavy a particular size will run. An empty dual-axle 7 x 16' steel trailer will probably tip the scales at 2,300 pounds, so plan your tow vehicle accordingly.....

An excellent point, thank you. Right now, I'm leaning towards a 4X4 3/4 ton pickup (for it's off-road capabilities, the tow vehicle will BE the toy, in this case.) and a load equalizing hitch, so I should be ok, I guess.

Thanks again.

Regards
John
Regards
John

Optimistic Paranoid
Teardrop Builder

Postby pete42 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:07 pm

when I started looking I found an all aluminum CT dealer near my home.
even tho life has stopped me from getting one right now I do stop in offen
I have seen many different things on some of the trailers that have come thru his lot.
I have seen things that I will have changed when I ever get mine ordered.
$4000 seems a little high but it depends on what if anything is installed.
so welcome and come back often
pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby edcasey » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:31 pm

My conversion is a 2000 6 X 12 Horton Hauler I bought new to convert. I don't know if any changes where made to the 2005 models but mine was extremely well built. Some might say overbuilt but that was what we wanted. In the 10 years we have owned it, we haven't had a single problem. It's a relatively small company. The cargo trailers used on American Chopper to haul their bikes are Horton Haulers. The used price does seem pretty high but it's hard to say without more details.
edcasey
Teardrop Master

Postby vreihen » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:00 am

edcasey wrote: The cargo trailers used on American Chopper to haul their bikes are Horton Haulers.

They had for-sale signs on some of their trailers back in the summer, but I don't know if anyone bought them. (I live right down the road from their old shop.) With their new headquarters building being in foreclosure.....
vreihen
Teardrop Master

Postby pete42 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:30 am

vreihen wrote:
edcasey wrote: The cargo trailers used on American Chopper to haul their bikes are Horton Haulers.

They had for-sale signs on some of their trailers back in the summer, but I don't know if anyone bought them. (I live right down the road from their old shop.) With their new headquarters building being in foreclosure.....

I only know them from their tv show sounds like they aren't doing so well now
that is a shame together they had a great thing going
I have heard that the whole is bigger than it's parts, must be true in this instance.
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby vreihen » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:19 am

pete42 wrote:I only know them from their tv show sounds like they aren't doing so well now
I have heard that the whole is bigger than it's parts, must be true in this instance.

Just about everything they have built has been done by exploiting other local businesses to sub their work out. A few of them get air time, some don't even get a mention. A lot of stuff that they have came as a promotion from vendors looking for product placements, and that probably includes the trailers.

They also took all kinds of government grants and tax breaks to build their headquarters, with promises to create a lot of local manufacturing jobs. If you saw the last season of the show, you'll notice that they are even laying off some of the staff who regularly appeared on the show. The headquarters is in foreclosure because they haven't paid their mortgages since July, and they actually had the nerve to tell the local paper that they can afford to pay it but want to negotiate a lower mortgage payment with the bank because the property value dropped since they financed it. Welcome to the 21st century with the rest of us!

Sorry for the thread hijack and rant.....
vreihen
Teardrop Master

Postby Ctcanuck » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:03 am

vreihen wrote:
pete42 wrote:I only know them from their tv show sounds like they aren't doing so well now

Just about everything they have built has been done by exploiting other local businesses to sub their work out. A few of them get air time, some don't even get a mention. A lot of stuff that they have came as a promotion from vendors looking for product placements, and that probably includes the trailers.

They also took all kinds of government grants and tax breaks to build their headquarters, with promises to create a lot of local manufacturing jobs. If you saw the last season of the show, you'll notice that they are even laying off some of the staff who regularly appeared on the show. The headquarters is in foreclosure because they haven't paid their mortgages since July, and they actually had the nerve to tell the local paper that they can afford to pay it but want to negotiate a lower mortgage payment with the bank because the property value dropped since they financed it. Welcome to the 21st century with the rest of us!

Sorry for the thread hijack and rant.....

That does not surprise me one bit. You live by the sword,you die by the sword. Look at History in general,all of the great empires fall sooner or later. :)
Ctcanuck
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions