Ceiling trim

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Ceiling trim

Postby Paddle » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:16 pm

Hi! I've been lurking a while and I've just bought a 8x20 enclosed. I didn't want one that long but got a good deal on it. I'm looking forward to making a camper/toy hauler out of it and have seen some great ideas. This site is what made me get a enclosed instead of a toy hauler.

I'm looking for ceiling trim or close out trim from the sidewall to the ceiling panel. They already had the white board side wall and ceiling installed but the top corners are open. It is curved and is about six inches wide. I think I seen it in new trailers and it was aluminum.

I've searched this web site and goggled it but can't find anything. Maybe its called by another name?

Thanks in advance!!
Paddle
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Kyle1911 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:41 am

Hi, Paddle! My Cargomate came without the ceiling trim installed (as I requested), but they included enough aluminum for me to do the job when I am done insulating. All the trim consists of, is extra trailer siding sheet, cut to length, and formed over a die to have some curve to it. I am considering several options for mine. I could use the factory aluminum, secured in place by wood trim strips. I could use something like FRP from Home Depot. Or, I could take the time and effort to attach thin furring strips the full length of the trailer, and make luan "crown molding" to fill the gap. I am running most of my electrical in the gap created by the wall/ceiling joint. It's an easy way to get wires front to back, and the luan trim idea would allow me to remove the trim later, to add or troubleshoot a circuit. If you need a pic of factory trim, PM me. Mine is sitting on the floor of my trailer right now. Have fun!! Kyle
Kyle1911
Teardrop Advisor

Postby capt4903 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:31 pm

i stopped by my local metal fabrication shop and are having them bend me some .062 aluminum diamond plate to fit in the wall/ceiling corner. the pieces will be 6" wide with 1" flanges bent at 45 degrees to run the length of the wall....also getting a piece bent to cover rear ramp door spring assembly above the door.....i'll post pics when i get 'em installed......thought about trying to do something with wood, but like the looks of the aluminum......gonna mount some white l.e.d. lights for interior illumination.....
capt4903
Teardrop Builder

Postby Kyle1911 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:32 pm

Capt, the 45 degree angle is a smart move. I decided to use the aluminum the factory provided, but will have to use a chalk line to make it all fit straight. I've got access to a large bending brake, so I might do the same. It would be nice to have a clean edge to screw the trim up with. If it looks good enough, I can leave off the luan trim, and have even easier access to my wiring later on. Regards, Kyle
Kyle1911
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Paddle » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:23 am

capt4903 wrote:i stopped by my local metal fabrication shop and are having them bend me some .062 aluminum diamond plate to fit in the wall/ceiling corner. the pieces will be 6" wide with 1" flanges bent at 45 degrees to run the length of the wall....also getting a piece bent to cover rear ramp door spring assembly above the door.....i'll post pics when i get 'em installed......thought about trying to do something with wood, but like the looks of the aluminum......gonna mount some white l.e.d. lights for interior illumination.....

This is what I was wanting and I figured as many enclosed trailers are out there that someone would have some pre-fabed trim available.

Please post some pic's when you get them back Capt.

Thanks for the pic's Kyle!!
Paddle
Teardrop Inspector

ceiling trim

Postby capt4903 » Wed May 11, 2011 10:08 pm

got my aluminum trim back from fab shop in a couple of days...took me 2 weeks to find time to install......got the cover for spring assembly installed and trim on passenger side of trailer.....lights are oval white l.e.d.'s.....2 lights on each side of trailer....installing 2 switches to vary lighting at night......hahaha...cant figure out how to post photos....
capt4903
Teardrop Builder

Postby vtx1029 » Thu May 12, 2011 11:59 am

Find a guy that does siding. Most have a 8' brake and have painted aluminum. Just have him bend some 45's like said above :thumbsup:

You can buy the aluminum in rolls at any home improvement store.
vtx1029
Teardrop Master

Postby capt4903 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:31 pm

i finally figured out how to get photos downloaded to my album. got pictures of my diamond plate ceiling/wall trim and also of the cover made to hide the ramp door spring assembly. also a couple of pics of my simple electrical service.
capt4903
Teardrop Builder

Postby pete42 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:55 pm

Looks good nice and neat.

pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby vtx1029 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:03 am

Looks great. I dig the spring/shaft covers :thumbsup: What brand trailer? :o Aluminum :thumbsup:
vtx1029
Teardrop Master

Postby Pyrofish » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:32 am

I like that ceiling and trim, really nice and clean. Everything about that install is nice :applause:

What kind of wood did you use for the ceiling? I'll be starting a similar sized CT to yours in the next few weeks, and didn't see anything like that wood in Lowes.
Pyrofish
Teardrop Master

Postby capt4903 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:36 pm

thanks for the compliments...the trailer is an ALUMA Ltd. made in Bancroft Iowa.....6 X 10 V-nose....i bought it with the motorcycle package, rear ramp door, rv style side door, mag wheels, polished aluminum trim on the sides and f.r.p. on sidewalls....trailer is all aluminum except for axle and coupler....
i insulated the ceiling with 3/4" foam and the wood is just flooring underlayment found at Lowes....$ 10.00/ 4x8 sheet...i havent put a finish on it yet...probally will do a clear stain.....
i like how my spring cover turned out...easy to cut the diamond plate with a jig saw....
we're keeping everything simple to be able to still use as a cargo trailer.....2 shelves in nose, piece of foam back carpet to roll out during camping, air mattress for sleeping.....
capt4903
Teardrop Builder

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions