Anyone done a slide out from the back door?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Anyone done a slide out from the back door?

Postby campinwi » Tue May 24, 2011 10:52 am

Always have plenty of ideas for projects for my husband. My newest idea-has anyone ever made a small slide out that goes out the rear door of a cargo trailer?

I have a 6 x 10 with barn doors in the back. Looking to make more room inside. I usually have all my kitchen stuff in the rear, so I'm using it like a teardrop. Nothing fixed to the inside of the trailer.

My thought would be to just make a wooden box frame, with doors in the back and a small window on each side. Figured I could use Jacks to hold it up
when opened.

Thought today after checking out the Foamies, was even making something out of foam for the top and sides, wood for the floor we would be standing on.

Any ideas on how to make this easy for my husband? He already has a long "honey do" list.......
campinwi
Teardrop Advisor

Postby BERT » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:43 pm

This is a great idea! It could be somewhat problematic however on a trailer with rear barn doors. Others have suggested in the past that this would be more feasible with a rear ramp door. The ramp could be supported level with the trailer floor with jack stands.

The inner cube (push-out) could then be rolled out from within the main trailer on castors or track system. Where the rear of the trailer and the front of the pushout meet you can build a flange accompanied with weatherstripping so that both pieces are sealed from the elements. The pushout could be locked in place with simple dead-bolt gate latches.

If I were building this I would make a 2x2 construction with foam core insulation and simple 1/8" or at most 1/4" skinning. Its fast to build and you can add bracing within the wall for strong anchor points.

Just a few of my thoughts. I hope this helps you brainstorm.
BERT
Teardrop Builder

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions