Greasing CT Hubs

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Greasing CT Hubs

Postby d30gaijin » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:11 pm

I have a 2001 CT from a local manufacturer but suspect most parts on it, such as the wheel hubs, come from other manufacturers. I can fairly well tell that the CT hasn't been towed a lot (I bought it from an old guy who used it once or twice a year to tow to a hunting site and that was about the extent of its use).

My question is, I believe I have what are known as EZ-Lube hubs but don't know what's so EZ-Lube about them. Any suggestions or a link to tell me how to lube them before my upcoming trip would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
Don
d30gaijin
Titanium Donating Member

Postby lonerider » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:57 pm

lonerider
Teardrop Advisor

Postby madjack » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:12 pm

lonerider wrote:http://www.trailercanada.com/ez_lube.htm

...that gives a pic of the system, now this is the technique...jack the wheel off the ground, give it a little spin...take grease gun and shoot some grease into the zerk fitting...continue to rotate wheel and shoot grease until clean, new grease is coming out of the hub..do this slowly to prevent damage to the rear seal.............
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:53 am

Hate to be a PIA , but we always take everything apart and repack the bearings, check the seals etc. (old school) Just old habits from Boat trailers frequently dipped in salt water... I never felt quite safe with those buddy bearings.. But if MJ likes em' , that's good enough for me !!! (especially since these won't be dipped in the old Briny deep ) Hopefully ... :roll:

Actually BP mixed so much oil in the water here, probably never have to grease our bearings on a boat trailer ever again ... :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby pete42 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:13 am

EZ Lube and Bearing Buddys not the same thing.

The EZ Lube portion is not to replace taking the hubs apart and checking and repacking the bearings which is not a hard job, messy but not hard.

What I did on all the trailers I have owned with EZ Lube hubs each spring I would remove and pack the bearings,
then during each trip I would give each hub a squirt of grease not too much just one pump or sometimes half a pump.

been camping since 1960 never lost a bearing.

I worked in Maintenance 41 years a under greased or over greased bearing can cause you trouble.

as far as greasing until the grease runs out well not a good idea either

the runout grease can get on your brakes and if the seal is pushed out you are leaving it exposed to water and dirt both not good for bearings.

So take the bearings off and repack them if you want carry a small grease gun and on long trips give them a squirt.

that's my story and I'm sticking by it.

pete42
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby madjack » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:36 am

I HATE BUDDY BEARINGS!!!!!...Pete is absolutely correct, the EZ-Lube system is completely different from buddy bearings...buddy bearings only apply grease to the outside of the hub and only by accident does it get to any of the bearings...EZ-Lube applys grease to the inside bearing and if you follow the directions I gave, you will end up with a completely re-greased/packed set of bearings.........
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Not Sure What I've Got

Postby d30gaijin » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:18 pm

Now I'm not sure what type hub I have. I thought it was a E-Z lube but maybe not. Below is a pic. Maybe someone with more knowledge than me can help identify what I've got.

Thanks,
Don
d30gaijin
Titanium Donating Member

Postby vtx1029 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:41 pm

Yep it looks like an ez lube. Pop the rubber cap and there should be a zerk behind it.
vtx1029
Teardrop Master

Postby d30gaijin » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:30 pm

vtx1029 wrote:Yep it looks like an ez lube. Pop the rubber cap and there should be a zerk behind it.

VTX,

Super! Thank you for the help. :applause:

Don
d30gaijin
Titanium Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:41 am

Sorry MJ, here they call all things like that BBs... you know how we are .. we tend to generalize too much :oops: So when we shop, what do we look for ??? Is EZLube a brand name or is it the physical construction ... ???
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby madjack » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:00 am

EZ-Lube is a patented system which allows grease from a zerk fitting to FLOW THRU the spindle into the inner bearing(and thus to the outer)...BB's are spring loaded grease caps with witha zerk fitting which sends grease into the outer areas of a hub and if your LUCKY, the spring loading will push A LITTLE grease onto the outer surface of the outer bearing...which is why they are so despised by those in the know!!!!!
madjack 8)
Last edited by madjack on Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
madjack
Site Admin

Postby madjack » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:03 am

vtx1029 wrote:Yep it looks like an ez lube. Pop the rubber cap and there should be a zerk behind it.

...if the zerk fitting goes directly into the spindle, it is an EZ-Lube, if the zerk pumps grease directly into the grease cap, it is a Bearing Buddy............
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby madjack » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:10 am

...witha Bearing Buddy, if you over grease, you face the VERY real possibility of blowing out the rear seal, with EZ-Lube, excess grease simply comes out the front of the hub, in essence, repacking the bearings...both front/back(inner/outer).........
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:47 am

OH COOL !!!! Thanks for that info MJ !!!! Was always confused about that ... Now we know what to look for ...
:thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions