6x12 CTC log cabin.

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: 6x12 CTC log cabin.

Postby Wolfscout » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:23 pm

It was Gonefishin's idea for me to think on solar power after seeing his setup. I do plan to leave the inverter I got put in since it's already there and all I have to do is add a marine battery from my pontoon.

as to security I always use a larger diameter chain with a good quality padlock. The only thing I've lost the last 8 years was a propane tank that I didn't have secured before I left the site. I lock up everything when I go off... even to shower.
Larry Fulmer, Jr.

2016 8X20 Homestead Patriot CTC
CTC 2

'90 6x12 Wells Cargo Trailer Conversion
my 1st build= CTC 1 FB album history.
Wolfscout
500 Club

Postby lrrowe » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:41 pm

I guess I asked the question because I lean towards the paranoid side of things and as such just wondered how other CT campers fared.
I am sure I will have a mixture of camping environments in my future. Some will be in formal campgrounds, others in National Forest areas where they have both small controlled camping and other wilderness areas. So based on what I am reading and what I feel is right, I will probably be careful in the RV campground areas for the reasons mention above and it wilderness areas (with all sorts driving by). But I hope I find the same support from fellow campers in the small government sites near me. I do not believe we in the East have the many "off the beaten path" camp areas that our fellow CT'rs have in the western part of the state. :thumbdown:

But then I left my generator out during a week's hunt with a cable attached to it and a tarp over it while not in use. A sledge hammer could have busted the lock. Either there were more "honest" folks driving then I thought by or I was just plain lucky.

It is sad, but I am seeing more and more trails, camp areas and forest type roads blocked by our forest service here in the East. It is as if they want to make it hard for us to enjoy what is supposed to be there for us. Ulterior motives???????? :roll:
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby Gonefishin » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:27 pm

[quote="lrrowe"
It is sad, but I am seeing more and more trails, camp areas and forest type roads blocked by our forest service here in the East. It is as if they want to make it hard for us to enjoy what is supposed to be there for us. Ulterior motives???????? :roll:[/quote]

Not to get too much off topic, but its happening in the west too. So-called environmentalists who want the only access to "wilderness areas" by foot. No campsites, no trails, no roads. Just block all access. I have other names for 'em, but . . .
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Postby Prem » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:41 pm

NOTHING AGAINST ANYBODY

Well, :thinking: here in southern Oregon, there are many (former) logging roads that are still wide open. I know unemployed folks use them for semi-permanent RV camping. A couple of friends do it---one who is a hippie in a Toyota Tacoma camper. The ranger just notifies them that they only get 14 days per year in each national forest. Often the next closest national forest is $50-60 in gas away for the VA-dependent guys in an old class A Ford or Chevy with a big block V-8. (We have a VA domicillary here and many are out-patients.)

When homeless (either rednecks or hippies) trash the site---or start a campfire in the dry season---the armed forest rangers run them out and may have a few big bolders brought in to barricade the former logging road. They are almost always the roads with a flowing creek at the end or a big flat turn-around area. So it ain't just the Green Party closing federal forest access, at least not around here.

Boulders no problem if you want to walk in or bike in. :lol:

Curious to me is the fact that the few free BLM and USFS campgrounds are almost always unoccupied. I've camped in a few for days and not seen anyone else turn in to check it out.
Last edited by Prem on Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby lrrowe » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:46 pm

It is definitely in my plans to CT camp in USFS camprounds.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby roadinspector » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:01 pm

OverTheTopCargoTrailer wrote:Earnest

I have always heard that the wheels are pretty crappie and fall off ?
After you make 5-10 short dump runs.
What brand do you have and how long have you dragged it around ?
Like does it have 5 miles on it !
Or lets say 200 dump runs ?

Thanks Jerry

Jerry,
Sorry for the delay in responding. I believe we used Barker tanks. We never had any problem but we were not pulling more than about 300-400 ft at a time. You are probably right about the durability of them. We didn't trust their wheels either. If we had to go a long ways, it was pulled up into the pickup bed. A simple light weight winch system with ramp worked fine.

Earnest
Dadgum it! I cut that board 5 times and it's still too short!
2001 quad-cab Dodge Cummins 3/4 ton camper special, 16x7x7 CT work in progress toyhauler, 01 HD Ultra Classic, 98 HD Heritage Softail, 88 HD 1200 Sportster. viewtopic.php?f=42&t=51510
roadinspector
500 Club

Postby Wolfscout » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:40 am

I've really enjoyed my CTC but we're now considering stepping up to a 8x24 or larger even, Not moving to a built camper because of tax and licensing.
also want to get the Overkill on air conditioning, with toilet and shower. Sucks sometimes not having those.
There's a local 2009 Hallmark 8x24 being offered for $4900. bout the price of a new one I beleive. No added options... If i do it, it'll have to be a build from bare hull of a trailer..... again.
work to do eventually........... :twisted:
Larry Fulmer, Jr.

CTC 2

Wolfscout
500 Club

Postby Rainier70 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:06 am

Looking forward to seeing your layout and ideas.
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Wolfscout » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:10 am

a video up date I took about a week ago. Thought I'd add it here.
http://youtu.be/TKObLVRd6hY?list=PLQZJcLMVNtmqOvYj6yqQnFkBpULRC5MLp

Still sort of undecided on getting a larger trailer to convert or fixing up this one some more.
Larry Fulmer, Jr.

CTC 2

Wolfscout
500 Club

Postby Prem » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:36 am

:thumbsup: Sweet. You've got it all in a small package!

Hey, what's that hanging, ceiling light that's on? Brand?

Prem :wine:
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby Wolfscout » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:40 am

that um ... ceiling light... is just a light bulb socket put on a cord wired into a dimmerswitch for lights box. A small shade that slips over a bulb and stays with rings is all it is. Homemade.
Larry Fulmer, Jr.

CTC 2

Wolfscout
500 Club

Postby Prem » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:06 pm

Nice and bright!

:thumbsup:
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby Wolfscout » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:13 pm

Yep, I didn't want things to be dark when I want to do something. :applause:
Larry Fulmer, Jr.

CTC 2

Wolfscout
500 Club

Postby Wolfscout » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:06 pm

This camper has been sitting for a couple years since CTC2 was built. I used it for some tool storage without changing anything...

I'm going to redo it for a weekend smaller camper to pull with a boat inside. That's the plan anyways. :thinking:
Same bed and cabinet setup. I do want to raise this camper up to take some backwoods roads down to some remote landings and set up the camper.
I've already bought the items needed to flip the axle and raise it 3 inches. :thumbsup:
Larry Fulmer, Jr.

CTC 2

Wolfscout
500 Club

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions