Ramp door Inside lock question

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Ramp door Inside lock question

Postby slipperyd12 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:15 pm

I would like to get rid of the latches on the ouside of the ramp door and make one for the inside. The inside latch could also be used as energency exit. I tried a search but did not find any pictures. I am building a camper only, not using the back door at all. Any ideas would be great, pictures even better.
Thanks John
slipperyd12
Teardrop Builder

Postby Pyrofish » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:26 pm

If I didn't want to open the back door, except from the inside, I'd just put a large barrel bolt on each side of the door.
Pyrofish
Teardrop Master

Postby mskobier » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:12 am

Slipperyd12
While waiting to install the RV typr latch on the man door of my ct, I used a simple spring loaded sliding latch to secure the door while we were inside. Something like this might work for what you want.

Mitch

Image[url][/url]
mskobier
Silver Donating Member

Latch

Postby slipperyd12 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:14 pm

That is a good idea. I just want to make sure it does not come down going down the interstate.
Thanks for the idea I originally was thinking of a handle on a pivot. I like the spring loaded latch. :thumbsup:
John
slipperyd12
Teardrop Builder

Re: Latch

Postby vreihen » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:24 pm

slipperyd12 wrote:That is a good idea. I just want to make sure it does not come down going down the interstate.

Nothing that a pair of carefully placed small D-rings and a ratchet strap inside the trailer couldn't provide extra insurance for:

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece-1-4-quarter-inch-d-ring-66458.html

I picked up a dozen packages of the above D-rings at Harbor Freight last month, and attached them to the aluminum studs in my trailer with self-drilling screws. I am using them and ratchet straps to hold my roller toolbox, 72" high Gladiator double door cabinet, and even loose items like a folding table and chairs to the walls in my trailer. I can empty the trailer completely out just by releasing the straps and wheeling the cabinetry out the back and down the ramp. When I get around to making a sink unit, I'm going to make it self-contained and mount it on wheels as well.....
vreihen
Teardrop Master

Postby k1hog » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:04 pm

Read about this issue in another post, how ever the post was not about this. I would like some input on the ability on securing the ramp door from the inside, so that in some type of horror the rear ramp door could be opened and used to escape the trailer. The side door has a cargo latch and an rv latch, which means someone could lock the trailer from the outside, traping those inside. So being able to open the rear ramp door would be a good escape.

Thanks

Johnnie
k1hog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby BC_Explorer » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:10 pm

k1hog wrote:Read about this issue in another post, how ever the post was not about this. I would like some input on the ability on securing the ramp door from the inside, so that in some type of horror the rear ramp door could be opened and used to escape the trailer. The side door has a cargo latch and an rv latch, which means someone could lock the trailer from the outside, traping those inside. So being able to open the rear ramp door would be a good escape.
Thanks
Johnnie

The concern about the side door being locked on the outside via the bar lock while someone is in the trailer is valid. Another member (Gonefishin) here has come up with an easy and very effective solution that I will be implementing on my CT conversion. He simply mounted an eye bolt into the body of the trailer (presumably into a wall stud) that is then used to keep the side door from being locked.

BC_Explorer
Teardrop Master

Postby k1hog » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:42 pm

Yes, that is a good idea.

Thanks

Johnnie
k1hog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby k1hog » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:54 pm

BC_Explorer from your post I found this:

Replacement Handle Latch for Cam-Door Lock 383200

Johnnie

k1hog
Teardrop Advisor

Not getting locked in

Postby mtfamily » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:25 pm

Why not just put your padlock on the lactch that is already on the door? That way the bar can't be put in.
mtfamily
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Treeview » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:22 pm

Draw latches will pull the door into the seals.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-draw-latches/=fz583g

Find one with a screw for adjustment/fine tuning.

Tom
Treeview
The 300 Club

Postby k1hog » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:28 pm

If the handle is able to swing to the door lock point then a zip tie or someother thing could be placed on the bar thus locking all inside. This could be done with out any noise and with no warning to the persons inside.

I am sure some may say there is a little paranioa going on here, I so no. There is a great deal of meaness out there. We the people must do all that we can to protect our selves. There are bad people that will prey on the unprepared.

Thanks for the reply.

Ranger Johnnie Louisiana State Police
k1hog
Teardrop Advisor

Door

Postby drcurran » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:45 pm

K hog - well said!
"I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was."
TK
drcurran
Teardrop Master

Postby dudleydoright » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:01 pm

Its not paranoia, its being prepared with a S&W 357!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:
GONE FISHIN'

ddr
dudleydoright
Teardrop Master

Postby k1hog » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:28 am

I went to Dallas to pick up the new Cargo Craft, I am very pleased. However the side door cam lock bar will not fold back along the side of the trailer, so the cam lock I posted about will not work as planned. So more thought about securing the cam lock bar is nessary.

Untill Next Time.

Johnnie
k1hog
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions