Glenlivets 6X10 cargo toy hauler conversion

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: New guy with a 6X10 cargo toy hauler conversion

Postby cycleholic2010 » Mon May 20, 2013 12:03 pm

One more question. How do you keep the peices in the up right position while traveling. Thanks again! :thumbsup:
cycleholic2010
Teardrop Inspector

Postby cycleholic2010 » Mon May 20, 2013 12:06 pm

I was examining the pics again and figure out you solution for keeping each side up. I like the bungee idea on the big side!
cycleholic2010
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Glenlivet » Mon May 20, 2013 12:45 pm

Yes, bungees are darned handy. Keep things nice and snug. Couple days ago I added a mini-coat rack in the 9 inches left between the fridge and the front wall, and a pan-pen on top of the fridge. hahaha :lol:

Glenlivet
Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Mon May 20, 2013 2:55 pm

Glenlivet, Howdy;

Nice utilization of space... BUT, ..... ya might want to
wrap the coffee pot and cookie jar in something to protect
them from harm while in transit.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Glenlivet » Mon May 20, 2013 3:57 pm

hankaye wrote:Glenlivet, Howdy;

Thanks for the information.
I've always found the best 'gauge' is a scale
to weigh the bottle... or if nothing lights ...
it's most likely M-T :lol:
hank

Yes, as it happens my tank mount, a welded solid pin on the holder that engages the tank's bottom ring's back side, and a removeable bolt holding the front side of that bottom ring, allows the tank a bit of movement, just enough for a guy to lift on the tank and get an idea what it weighs without having to remove the tank. :)

B.C. Dave, sorry to be so late with an answer, yes it gets toasty in summer when the trailer is left closed. The A/C at 5500 BTU barely keeps up when the trailer is parked in the sun during the hot part of summer. I think I'll paint the roof white to help things out. And I'm going to try not to park in the direct sun.
:thinking:
The roof is insulated with fibreglas pink but the walls are not. The wood is stock 1/4" plywood that the former owner stained with somerthing I don't know what. I have been using Colonial Maple, which makes for a decent match.
Glenlivet
Donating Member

Postby jjdisney84 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:29 pm

:thinking: This is definitely the kind of thing I was looking for to do with my 6x12 trailer. :twisted: Now where to start!!? I need windows, sky light and vent. Ugh can I just pay someone to start this for me!!?
jjdisney84
Teardrop Inspector

Postby shepoutside » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:14 am

Love all the info. Just about to start building mine, 6x10 as well, many of your ideas will spill over into mine. Hope to have it done for next summer, as it will be on a trip from Ontario, to your area. Thanks again for sharing !!! :beer:
shepoutside
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Glenlivet » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:51 pm

Found a place to carry our two antigravity recliner chairs. Strapped to the ramp door, the bottom chair resting on the floor and the top chair on the bottom one. The tubes line up nicely. :)

Glenlivet
Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:58 pm

Glenlivet wrote:Found a place to carry our two antigravity recliner chairs. Strapped to the ramp door, the bottom chair resting on the floor and the top chair on the bottom one. The tubes line up nicely. :)

I like your chair mounts. We haul two of them in my pickup when we go teardrop camping. They're heavy and take up a lot of room, but you can't beat them for comfort.
Last edited by aggie79 on Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby zroadhouse » Sun May 11, 2014 12:15 pm

Love this build. If I end up going 6x10, I'm going to come back to this one for lots of ideas.

How long are your fold-down beds? (Guessing equal to the max distance from the rear ramp to the door)
zroadhouse
Teardrop Master

Postby Glenlivet » Sun May 11, 2014 12:32 pm

zroadhouse wrote:Love this build. If I end up going 6x10, I'm going to come back to this one for lots of ideas.

How long are your fold-down beds? (Guessing equal to the max distance from the rear ramp to the door)

Thanks. :) The bed is 68" x 75" long.
Glenlivet
Donating Member

Postby zroadhouse » Sun May 11, 2014 10:08 pm

Can you post up some pics on how you've got that AC mounted?
zroadhouse
Teardrop Master

Postby Glenlivet » Mon May 12, 2014 12:50 am

zroadhouse wrote:Can you post up some pics on how you've got that AC mounted?

Made two angle frames barely larger than the A/C box, and painted each to suit its location. The inner frame is riveted to the A/C's metal cabinet in such a position that the outer louvers will be clear to breath and the inside of the A/C does not project more than four inches into the interior, for loading the ATV. The frame was then attached with screws to the inner plywood. 1/4" in 12 was allowed outer down tilt to allow for draining condensate.
The outer frame does not attach to the A/C directly but foam tape was applied to the lower flat rail and the frame was lifted until it helps support the weight of the A/C, then the frame was attached to the skin with pop rivets and with 1/4"-20 threaded inserts and machine screws where there's a frame member behind. One frame had to be cut but it's the one cut for the window already.

The A/C is in there so solidly that I can grab it and shake as hard as I can and only shake the whole trailer. :D
I've since painted the A/C outside the same battleship gray as the trailer. Little less conspicuous. 8)
I wrote about it more thoroughly here: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=50223&start=45
ps. I found that a flea comb for pets is perfect for straightening out condenser fins. :thumbsup:
Glenlivet
Donating Member

Postby Glenlivet » Mon May 26, 2014 9:51 pm

Finally put in a vent I've been thinking about for some time now. This one is a bivalve 4" and mounted in an un-trafficed but fairly central part of the floor. The idea is to provide a low entry point for incoming air to work with the ceiling vent and allow convection to establish an efficient path for venting of C01 and water vapour from the catalytic heater. The side window was working alright as an air inlet but this should be better.
The other use is a lowest point vent to permit any leaked heavier than air gases to spill out instead of accumulating on the floor.

This cap was riveted on after the pic. The end looks white but it's all galvanized with a bug screen on the inside. Keep the crawlers and rodents from getting ideas. :lol:

Glenlivet
Donating Member

Postby Rainier70 » Tue May 27, 2014 7:51 am

Looks like it will work for you. Does it have any cap or cover on the inside? I travel on some really dusty roads, and it is always a problem to keep it out. That must not be much of a problem where you go?
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions