About to get started - Need ideas

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

About to get started - Need ideas

Postby darkinbog » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:35 pm

First off I'd like to say I'm new to the site. I've been lurking for about a year and thought it's about time to get this project started. I live in the Ozarks and love camping. Now that I'm married and no longer a college student, I want a way to just hook up the trailer and go and not have to worry about spending hours getting ready.
I want to build a 6x10 or 6x12. I will be towing with a 2007 Regular cab 4cl Tacoma and a 2 door 2012 Jeep wrangler. I need to keep the weight down. Here is what I know I want:

DC wiring for lights, ceiling fan, and small electronics. AC for a fridge, microwave, water heater,air conditioner/heater, and a receptacle on the inside and outside.

place for a portable toilet and a sink

I want the bed platform to be removable so I can still use it a a cargo trailer if need be.

This is what i am considering:

An outdoor shower head ( The kind that are mounted on the side of some pop-ups) and a way to mount a curtain on the left side.

Another faucet next to the side door used for dish/hand washing.

A way to mount my Honda Generator to the trailer to keep the fridge running while driving down the road.

Any suggestion or comments would be great!! I want to document my build well: I'm going to post pictures as soon as I get started. NEED TO FIND A TRAILER FIRST :thinking:

darkinbog
Teardrop Inspector

Re: About to get started - Need ideas

Postby d30gaijin » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:11 pm

darkinbog wrote:First off I'd like to say I'm new to the site. I've been lurking for about a year and thought it's about time to get this project started. I live in the Ozarks and love camping. Now that I'm married and no longer a college student, I want a way to just hook up the trailer and go and not have to worry about spending hours getting ready.
I want to build a 6x10 or 6x12. I will be towing with a 2007 Regular cab 4cl Tacoma and a 2 door 2012 Jeep wrangler. I need to keep the weight down. Here is what I know I want:

DC wiring for lights, ceiling fan, and small electronics. AC for a fridge, microwave, water heater,air conditioner/heater, and a receptacle on the inside and outside.

place for a portable toilet and a sink

I want the bed platform to be removable so I can still use it a a cargo trailer if need be.

This is what i am considering:

An outdoor shower head ( The kind that are mounted on the side of some pop-ups) and a way to mount a curtain on the left side.

Another faucet next to the side door used for dish/hand washing.

A way to mount my Honda Generator to the trailer to keep the fridge running while driving down the road.

Any suggestion or comments would be great!! I want to document my build well: I'm going to post pictures as soon as I get started. NEED TO FIND A TRAILER FIRST :thinking:

Darkinbog,

First off; Welcome to the Forum!

It sounds like you plan to camp where you have electric and water hook-ups. If that's the case you have tons of options for shower and electric. In fact most places with hook-ups typically offer showers and bathrooms so why worry about a shower?

If hook-ups are not available then I suggest, for an outdoor shower, a Big Kahuna 12v 6 gallon shower unit with an enclosure of your choice. See my build thread:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=38095
for information about the Big Kahuna shower unit (look towards the last four pages for specifics about the shower).

As to keeping your Honda generator running while you're running down the road, well it isn't necessary (again, see my build thread). Run your reefer plugged into your home for a day or two before leaving on your trip to get it fully cooled down. Freeze some suitable size blocks of ice in your home freezer that will fit into your CT reefer freezer and then keep the door of your CT reefer closed while in transit. It will work the same as a large cooler, actually better, and keep everything cool for 3 or more days. Fire up the Honda generator to power the reefer when you get to where you're going if plug-in power isn't available.

Don
d30gaijin
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Wolfscout » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:16 am

Don's right. My fridge stayed cool on the last two trips just by allowing it to be plugged in a few days before the trip. I use those bags you freeze that come from Walmart. .97 each. plus you can freeze a few in the fridge and add them to the cooler if you need to. They are much easier to use than making Ice and take longer too. Convenient.
You can buy privacy shelters that are both for showers and portapottys. That's what we've done and it's working great for us with 2 small trips under out belt.
Larry Fulmer, Jr.

2016 8X20 Homestead Patriot CTC
CTC 2

'90 6x12 Wells Cargo Trailer Conversion
my 1st build= CTC 1 FB album history.
Wolfscout
500 Club

Postby David_L6 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:05 am

darkinbog wrote: NEED TO FIND A TRAILER FIRST :thinking:

Where are you located? Some parts of the country have numerous trailer manufacturers. The competition for buyers in those areas leads to some good deals.
David_L6
Donating Member

Postby MegC » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:12 pm

I'm having a hecka time re-finding it, but if you're really into minimalist there was a cool outdoor shower stall lashup pictured around here... they had some of those curtain rod cups mounted to the outside of the trailer with a shower curtain strung on it and a length of pvc bent around it. Not wanting to hassle w/ plumbing, I figure something like that + this should do the trick.

If it's too cold to warm up outside, I'll warm water on the stove.

If that's too cold... I'll find an indoor shower or I'm going home, lol.
~ intel gathering until we get more $. If anyone's got a line on a winning lotto ticket or a tooth fairy I can shake down for cash, PM me.
"...believing in human perfectibility starts with trying to force people into a mold, then into a prison, and then into an oven."
MegC
Teardrop Advisor

changing rooms etc

Postby wtcreaux » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:33 pm

MegC wrote:I'm having a hecka time re-finding it, but if you're really into minimalist there was a cool outdoor shower stall lashup pictured around here... they had some of those curtain rod cups mounted to the outside of the trailer with a shower curtain strung on it and a length of pvc bent around it. Not wanting to hassle w/ plumbing, I figure something like that + this should do the trick.

Meg,

something like this - http://tnttt.com/viewto ... r+curtains
about 2/3 of the way down (actually 2 different types.)

And here is another --- http://tnttt.com/viewto ... r+curtains
wtcreaux
Teardrop Master

Postby Larry C » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:32 pm

darkinbog wrote: I want to build a 6x10 or 6x12. I will be towing with a 2007 Regular cab 4cl Tacoma and a 2 door 2012 Jeep wrangler. I need to keep the weight down.

Welcome to the forum...
The first thing that hits me is you want to build a light weight Tear that's 6'X10'
or 6'x12'?? That's a pretty big Tear to be towing with a 4 cyl Tacoma. I bet you will exceed 1000# of trailer weigh plus another 300-400# of all the other gear you want.
IMO/I think you need a bigger tow vehicle for your needs or maybe downsize you wants/needs to fit the TV, say 500-600# total tow weight.

$.02

Larry C
"If its worth doing it's worth doing Light"

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=35852
Larry C
500 Club

Postby darkinbog » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:48 pm

Larry C wrote:
darkinbog wrote: I want to build a 6x10 or 6x12. I will be towing with a 2007 Regular cab 4cl Tacoma and a 2 door 2012 Jeep wrangler. I need to keep the weight down.

Welcome to the forum...
The first thing that hits me is you want to build a light weight Tear that's 6'X10'
or 6'x12'?? That's a pretty big Tear to be towing with a 4 cyl Tacoma. I bet you will exceed 1000# of trailer weigh plus another 300-400# of all the other gear you want.
IMO/I think you need a bigger tow vehicle for your needs or maybe downsize you wants/needs to fit the TV, say 500-600# total tow weight.

$.02

Larry C

Thanks Larry. I went to look a a few trailers yesterday and did not realize they were that heavy. I can't give up the Jeep. I've always had one and always will. It won't get pulled with the truck very often.

I may look into a 5x8. Just big enough for a mattress and a small galley in the back. Kinda like a tear but shaped like a box.

I have also thought about a smaller 4 x 4 and put on of those ARB tents on top.

I have lots of options. My only real requirements is to get off the ground when I sleep, Have an AC for the summer months, and a self contained something I can just hook up to and go (The less time I spend getting ready, the more time I have for biking, canoeing, hiking, etc.) :thumbsup:
darkinbog
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Blotto Bros » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:06 am

I have a 2006 single cab Tacoma with 2.7l 4 banger. Check your manual but mine is rated to tow 3500#. The heaviest thing I have pulled was a 2600# safe on an 800# trailer and it did just fine. I will say that wind resistance could be more of an issue to a cargo trailer than I experienced with a 4' tall safe though.
Even those souls that are found must occasionally become lost to appreciate what they have.
Blotto Bros
Silver Donating Member

Postby darkinbog » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:49 pm

Finally made a trailer purchase. It's a 6x10 Interstate Cargo. Great shape, just need to clean it up a bit. It's a 2004 model and has been sitting for 3 yrs. Where should I get started? I can't go crazy :cry: I do have to go to work this week.

I think I'm gonna start with pulling off the interior walls and checking all the seams for leaks and start laying everything out.

Ive beenreading this site for about a year now and have found good examples of what I want to do. I'll be updating pictures as I go along. :thumbsup:
darkinbog
Teardrop Inspector

Postby k1hog » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:24 pm

Check wheel bearings and tires a must.

Johnnie
k1hog
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions