First post and first questions of a million(grey water tank)

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Postby eamarquardt » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:42 pm

Check out this site:

http://www.plastic-mart.com/category.aspx?cat=12

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby Xtremespeed » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:35 pm

Thanks for the link. I've actually looked through it several times.
Their prices for a tank meeting my requirements are very high though.

It seems that companies that build these tanks always build them really wide when they make them slim. For instance, if I find a 40 plus gallon that is only 8" deep, it's 34" wide and only 40 some inches long. If they would increase the length to say 75" they could get the width under 24" so it will fit between my floor beams. I need the tank less than 24" wide, and 8" or less deep for ground clearance since it will be under the floor. There are a few, but they are usually very expensive which is why I asked about using the fresh water tanks for grey water. I'm going to get one on ebay probably, but I may just have to pay a little more than I had hoped.

Thanks again to everyone with suggestions. Now to start a new thread for other issues. :lol:
Xtremespeed
Teardrop Advisor

Postby eamarquardt » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:38 pm

How much capacity do you really need? For two of us we can get buy on about 6 gallons a day which includes showers for two.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby Xtremespeed » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:37 pm

There will be 3 of us most of the time, but not much option for emptying the tank often where we will spend our time. Usually 3-4 day trips. I figured since we had 42 gallons of fresh water it just made sense to have at least a 40 gallon grey water tank. I could probably get by with a smaller tank, it just won't be as convenient. Kinda defeats my purpose a little.
Xtremespeed
Teardrop Advisor

Postby roadinspector » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:31 am

Back when using a TT, I would drain my grey water out into the bushes. Of course this was done after dark so I would not disturb any neighbors. I made sure I used bio-degradable soap. Spank me if you want to, I'm a country boy with country ways. It made good fertilzer. Been doing this for years and it was always the greenest spot around. (No EPA or TCEQ inspectors on site) The factory drain was the 4" but I bought a cap from wally world that a garden hose could attach to. I could haul water to fill my tank and my length of being parked was determined by my black water.
Dadgum it! I cut that board 5 times and it's still too short!
2001 quad-cab Dodge Cummins 3/4 ton camper special, 16x7x7 CT work in progress toyhauler, 01 HD Ultra Classic, 98 HD Heritage Softail, 88 HD 1200 Sportster. viewtopic.php?f=42&t=51510
roadinspector
500 Club

Postby 8ball_99 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:28 am

roadinspector wrote:Back when using a TT, I would drain my grey water out into the bushes. Of course this was done after dark so I would not disturb any neighbors. I made sure I used bio-degradable soap. Spank me if you want to, I'm a country boy with country ways. It made good fertilzer. Been doing this for years and it was always the greenest spot around. (No EPA or TCEQ inspectors on site) The factory drain was the 4" but I bought a cap from wally world that a garden hose could attach to. I could haul water to fill my tank and my length of being parked was determined by my black water.

I've done the same on long weekends when to many showers fill up the greywater tank.. The way I look at it we have an outdoor shower. Whats the difference in people taking a shower outside or people taking one inside and draining the water outside. This depends a lot on where your camping though. Cause we have been in spots several times where there wasn't any good spot to drain off some of the grey water. So its still a good idea to get a decent sized tank just in case..
8ball_99
500 Club

Postby k1hog » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:16 pm

Take a look at this tank!

This tank could be mounted in side with the tolit on top, has all the ports installed.

http://www.icondirect.com/holding-tank- ... ht630bsbd/

Johnnie
k1hog
Teardrop Advisor

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions