Suggestions for my electrical service?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Postby eamarquardt » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:01 pm

8ball_99 wrote:Seems like this is debated about a lot on here and I've never understood why. I see it the same way.. If you don't ground to the frame and you do have a hot wire contact the frame then you just made your self ground when you step in or out..

IMHO there is nothing to "debate". The electrical code requires that your hot leads be wired to your loads and should be isolated from neutral and ground which is pretty understandable. The neutrals should be wired to a common point that is isolated from ground and connected to your neutral feed to your supply (campground receptacle). As much metal as practical on your trailer should be connected to a common ground buss, all the ground wires for your ac system should be connected to this buss and then this buss should be connected to the ground of your supply (campground receptacle). The neutral and ground wires should not be connected to one another anywhere on your trailer.

There is specific reasoning as to why things should be done this way and deviating from this standard may earn one a "Darwin Award".

And, of course, a GFI never hurts.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions