Added Windows.

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Added Windows.

Postby southpennrailroad » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:25 pm

Just cut out for my new Picture window on the foot of my bed area. Great view.

The window is quiet as I added low e argon and the window is quiet as the generator sits just outside the window and it is quiet. Going to add trim inside and maybe a sill.

Also because I cut through the insulation I experimented with the wasted piece and used it for the template for the curve of the ceiling. Cutting the curve for the ceiling curve I tried 1/4 inch cuts but that was not good. Then tried 1" cuts and that turned out great. Now I need sheets to do this. But as the weather has been good. Nahhhh! I will do it anyway. Save on fuel. :) Will be great for the heat in the summer.
Long time researching the abandoned South Pennsylvania Railroad along the Pennsylvania Turnpike. God will guide me. As he has done so in the past. southpennrailroad.com
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:50 pm

In relation to the size of your abode, that's a nice, big picture window! It will allow a good amount of light and warm winter sun to brighten your interior. You must be having a warm spell, to put in a window now. I see that there is no snow on the ground.

You have shelf brackets on either side of the window. Are you going to put shelves there and potted plants or....?
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby southpennrailroad » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:30 pm

S. Heisley wrote:In relation to the size of your abode, that's a nice, big picture window! It will allow a good amount of light and warm winter sun to brighten your interior. You must be having a warm spell, to put in a window now. I see that there is no snow on the ground.

You have shelf brackets on either side of the window. Are you going to put shelves there and potted plants or....?

When I would camp out I would use those to put dishes up and cook out. A tray is at the bottom to work on.

Yes the temps have been like fall and it's planned that way til at least 10 days yet. I now need curtains as a light on the company building shines in at night.

Thanks

Russ
Long time researching the abandoned South Pennsylvania Railroad along the Pennsylvania Turnpike. God will guide me. As he has done so in the past. southpennrailroad.com
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:54 pm

Just an idea, you could add a rod above the window and hang a bath towel there. Terry cloth is good insulation and a pretty good light filter.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby southpennrailroad » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:08 pm

S. Heisley wrote:Just an idea, you could add a rod above the window and hang a bath towel there. Terry cloth is good insulation and a pretty good light filter.

Thanks!

Thinking about that. For tonight it's lights on. No rod. I will make due.

Russ
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby mskobier » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:35 pm

Russ,
Excellent job. I'm sure you will enjoy the window. Kind of makes the closed in feeling go away. I'm using snaps to hang my curtains. The wife has been working on getting them made. As soon as she finishes, I'll install the snap butons on the curtains and matching pieces screwed into the plywood. I figure I'll use 3 snaps across the top and one on each bottom corner. You can get the snap kits at your local big box store.

I used 1/2" sheets to make the corners on my CT. The 1/2" doesn't need any cuts to bend the radius. Of course, I used two layers to get 1". You could buy 1 or 2 sheets as money , do a complete 1/2" layer pass first, then double up when time and moeny allows. Just a suggestion. The 1" will work fine, just a lot of cuts to make the bend.

Mitch
mskobier
Silver Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:36 pm

That looks good Russ. I'm surprised you put in such a big window. You're pretty conscious of energy consumption and all...

Mike...

P.S. This has been a great winter though, hasn't it? I'm thinking about taking my snowtires off the car already. Haven't needed them this year. :duh:
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby southpennrailroad » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:00 pm

mikeschn wrote:That looks good Russ. I'm surprised you put in such a big window. You're pretty conscious of energy consumption and all...

Mike...

P.S. This has been a great winter though, hasn't it? I'm thinking about taking my snowtires off the car already. Haven't needed them this year. :duh:

Thanks Mike but I have Low E and Argon gas in between the double pane glass. Insulated It does two things. Insulates by replacing just air with Argon gas which also stops noise. I know it works as the large windows at the company store have it and it stops the noise from the highway. I have the generator running just under the window and I hear the gen more from the insulated walls then I do from the glass. But I will let you all know when the moisture appears or doesn't. Worse comes to worse, I could always put in triple pane and that will work. Also 30 years in the window business says I am an expert on glass. Cost to put the glass in was $25.00 Cutting the trailer and installing the window was less then one hour. It is attached only with double back tape in double layers side by side. I tried pulling on it and it just pulls the skin of the trailer. Worked with it for years. Piggy backed on the skin not in the walls of the trailer.

Russ
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby southpennrailroad » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:10 pm

mskobier wrote:Russ,
Excellent job. I'm sure you will enjoy the window. Kind of makes the closed in feeling go away. I'm using snaps to hang my curtains. The wife has been working on getting them made. As soon as she finishes, I'll install the snap butons on the curtains and matching pieces screwed into the plywood. I figure I'll use 3 snaps across the top and one on each bottom corner. You can get the snap kits at your local big box store.

I used 1/2" sheets to make the corners on my CT. The 1/2" doesn't need any cuts to bend the radius. Of course, I used two layers to get 1". You could buy 1 or 2 sheets as money , do a complete 1/2" layer pass first, then double up when time and moeny allows. Just a suggestion. The 1" will work fine, just a lot of cuts to make the bend.

Mitch

Hi Mike and thanks

I like the 1" and have plenty of time to work with it. By cutting the window I got the wasted piece and cut just seven cuts to get the bend. Works great and I am comfortable withe the outcome. Three sheets will do the job. Can't wait! I am envisioning the heat staying lower to the bed and staying in the trailer longer cutting the furnace time on at shorter times between off and on.

The present tank has been on for a week now. Last year I was using one tank per three days. The temps have caused me to shut the furnace off during the days and at night. I get a week out of one tank. $15.00 per tank.
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby southpennrailroad » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:12 pm

Thinking of a cloth roll up blind. Help insulate and keep that light out. :thinking: :worship:
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby southpennrailroad » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:18 pm

When it was cold I felt the difference and think I would have re cooped the money spent on the insulation that I did install this past fall. So doing the ceiling will pay for itself in the savings of propane. Who was it that suggested I do the ceiling first. (Mike) but wasn't sure how to do the corners but will do them now as I get the money for the supply of insulation.
Last edited by southpennrailroad on Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Re: Added Windows.

Postby southpennrailroad » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:45 am

Well I think last night was to be the coldest night of the year and on the subject of my new double glass window at the foot of my bed turned out to be just great. No moisture except a thin layer of ice formed where the blankets keep the air from circulating on the sill area. It is a vynal frame around the double glass which is double taped to the outside face of the trailer. Got to get a double glass for the door next. That one always gets moisture on it.

New topic:
I just knew I should have covered the spare propane tank before the freeze yesterday. Last night about 10:00 the spare propane tank needed to be put on and the safety inside the tank was frozen and the gas would not flow. I had the generator running so temporarily to keep some heat going I ran the hot plate. While the hot plate was trying to keep up with maintaining what heat I had left in the trailer, I ran the truck and placed the spare tank on the drive side seat to get it warmed up. 1/2 hour later the tank was warmed up enough to get the furnace working. Slept like a baby. Good thing Monday it will warm up again and remain warm in the 40's until at least the 20th.

Today I will have to get the four tanks filled up again. I expect to spend $55.00 for those four tanks as I did last time. Not bad really, one tank per week as opposed to one every three days as last year was and considering this winter kept the heating bill low. During the day I always shut the furnace off when not in the trailer. Since November I have only filled the tanks 3 times @$55.00 a month to keep warm. By the time these four get empty it will be the end of March and the temps will surely get better. Maybe one more fill up in the middle of March which will get me well into the end of April.
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:33 am

OK looks like I missed a transition from the tear to a cargo trailer?
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby pete42 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:46 pm

shadow catcher I think Russ's trailer has always been a cargo trailer.
Russ looks like the foam has helped you have first hand knowledge of what it can do.

pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby letterman7 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:05 pm

That's a replacement window for a house?? Don't get me wrong, the install looks great... just don't hit any bumps. Vehicle glass is tempered for a reason; standard window glass, even double glazed, is going to crack in a heartbeat with the wrong bump.
letterman7
Teardrop Inspector

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions