Screws or Staples?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Screws or Staples?

Postby k1hog » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:38 pm

I am at the time to install the paneling over the osb wall board on the chargo trailer conversion.

Qustion is to install the paneling with screws or staples?

What has worked for you?

Thanks

Johnnie
k1hog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Pyrofish » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:56 pm

I let my buddy convince me to use staples in a different application in a working CT... they eventually wiggled out and the shelving fell down after 3 years. That was only using it twice a year.

I like those wide head washer screws for my CT conversion :thumbsup:
Pyrofish
Teardrop Master

Postby elmo_4_vt » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:31 pm

I plan on using staples to attach my luan and bead board (waynes coting) to the base plywood. That will a little caulk or liquid nails, and it won't come off. Of course all the shelving and cabinets will attached to the base plywood with pockets screws, or screwed from behind.

That's the plan for now anyways. I'll see if it stays that way when I get down to it.

Don

-
Truck: '96 Ford Bronco, Modified for off-road stuff

Trailer in progress: Not a tear drop exactly, sort of a mut of a couple different designs.
elmo_4_vt
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Screws or Staples?

Postby nitro_mt_racer » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:34 pm

k1hog wrote:I am at the time to install the paneling over the osb wall board on the chargo trailer conversion.

What has worked for you?

Thanks

Johnnie

Great question Johnnie! I was about to ask the same thing. I'm getting ready to finish the ceiling in my trailer. Hopefully a few more will chime in with their experience!
nitro_mt_racer
Teardrop Builder

Postby Wolfscout » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:11 am

I'd think staples would eventually wiggle out. a CT isn't that sturdy and has to allow for some movement, eventually you'd just end up replacing staples with screws and hope for the best.
I can't imagine taking my camper off road like some have mentioned doing. All my "stuff" would fall down. :lol:
Larry Fulmer, Jr.

2016 8X20 Homestead Patriot CTC
CTC 2

'90 6x12 Wells Cargo Trailer Conversion
my 1st build= CTC 1 FB album history.
Wolfscout
500 Club

Postby pete42 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:28 am

most of my travel trailers had some staples and most had loose staples.
If you are going to use glue of some sort to hold panels then staples would hold the wood until glue sets.
but I like using screws for most projects
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Gadget Man » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:27 pm

I say "Screw-It"
No, really, go with the screws. I'm sure they will hold up much better.
Every camping trailer we have owned I have gone through and either replaced all the cheap factory staples with screws or put a screw right next to the cheap staple. especially on things that may not be seen, but are very important to the strength of the unit, like holding the cabinets to the floor or holding down the dinnet benches.
We all know time is money, that's why the factories use air staple guns where ever they can, because they are fast, easy and cheap. Once it makes it past the 1 or 2 year warranty, you are on your own-baby.

By-the-way, I love Liquid Nails glue.

Gadget Man
My kids may be smarter than me,
But I know more.
Gadget Man
Teardrop Master

Postby Trackstriper » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:58 pm

k1hog wrote:...... to install the paneling over the osb wall board on the chargo trailer conversion.

Most likely paneling over OSB is not a structural issue. Yes, RV manufacturers use staples structurally, with no glue....yuk.

1/4" crown staples would probably get the job done just fine, the OSB is carrying all the load. A little TBII here and there to make it permanent. But, screws would allow you to disassemble the wall if you had to do any repair work. Glue and staples would make that job extra tough. Staples by themselves could be removed easier.

Staples would not be as visually noticeable as screws.
Trackstriper
Gold Donating Member

Postby Larry C » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:11 pm

I use 1/4" narrow crown staples driven with pneumatic stapler. If you have ever tried to pull anything apart that has been fastened this way.. Good Luck! It just tears everything apart, but the staples hold. At least that's been my experience. Staples don't split wood, but screws do unless pilot drilled. Staples and glue for my build... Time will tell. :)
"If its worth doing it's worth doing Light"

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=35852
Larry C
500 Club

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions