Tom's ToyBox

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Tom's ToyBox

Postby Treeview » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:55 pm

On January 5 I flew to Tampa to buy an '89 Toyota one ton box truck that used to be in U Haul's fleet. It will become my version of a camper.

I do realize that this build isn't a tear or TTT. It mostly resembles a cargo trailer. When I found this site a few months ago I was thinking of building a trailer. As my thoughts changed I realized that this unit would fit my needs better. I hope that I'm not too much of a rogue :o

Today I put up a few pictures in my gallery. I'll add a few more to update where I'm at.

On Monday a friend of mine rode down to San Antonio with me to strip out a travel trailer. I got windows, furnace, 12/120 power panel and lots of odds n ends. Any windows that I don't use I'll put up for sale here before Craigslist.

Pics are in my gallery.

Tom
Treeview
The 300 Club

Re: Tom's ToyBox

Postby Pyrofish » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:38 pm

I actually have two of these u-haul boxes in my back yard. My company purchased two of the used U-haul trucks years ago for about $1500 each. We ran them till the wheels fell off. I removed the 2 - 16' storage boxes, and took them to my back yard as handy storage sheds.

That's a unique way to carry your kayak. My 16'er just fit in with the nose up and the tail down at the back.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it if you can keep it running. That was our problem. U-haul ran them till they were about to die, we saw them as disposable work vans.

I'm sure you've looked at them already, but make sure those bolted hinges are in good shape. A few fell off mine and the rollers came out :o Wasn't a big deal to fix at home. Might be when you're camping though :)
Pyrofish
Teardrop Master

Postby Treeview » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:10 pm

Pyro,

The rollup door is going away. I need the head room plus its soooooo heavy. My plan is to make a barn door setup with a 60/40 split to match the bed size.

The longest term idea would be to make the box into a slide-on camper. Build a flatbed on the Toy so that I don't have to haul the Box all of the time. Or...slide a newer chassis under it.

Tom
Treeview
The 300 Club

Postby Pyrofish » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:43 pm

Sounds like you've got it worked out. I was actually thinking that I wouldn't stay in one of those things with a lockable roll up door :D My buddies would have too much fun with that.
Pyrofish
Teardrop Master

Postby Treeview » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:16 pm

Yeah...kinda like jamming the door on the porta pottie, huh?!

I'm going to add an eye bolt through the door so that I can lock the handle open.

Tom
Treeview
The 300 Club

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions