Fresh Meat....16x7x7

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Fresh Meat....16x7x7

Postby roadinspector » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:41 pm

Thanks Jerry, all rocks chunked are welcomed!! Some of us crap too close to the fire and track it in but other roll in it! :?

Hank,
You are so right. I've been over the river and thru the wood for years by myself and I enjoy sharing experiences with the wife now. If I can make things where she enjoys it more, the better I enjoy it too.

Thanks Prem. I would have gotten it built but it is much better thanks to guys like you that have shared on this site. Thank you.

Bob,
The pics of the cargo door install are here on pg 5. All my windows, vents and this cargo door are framed with 1x1 square tubing. It is strong enough to support the AC without a problem. In the pics you can see what I did to fill in the void around the AC unit. If you still have problems understanding it, just let me know and I will be glad to go into greater detail.
In this pic you see the cargo door frame and the inserted plywood to fill the void around the AC. I attached 1x2 material to the wall to cover the edge of the cargo door and it is inset enough to hold the plywood insert in place. I will try to get a pic of it for you tomorrow and get it posted.

Rainer70,
Thanks, it is very comfortable with lots of room left over.

I greatly appreciate this site and the folks that are on it. (Even Jerry :roll: )
Dadgum it! I cut that board 5 times and it's still too short!
2001 quad-cab Dodge Cummins 3/4 ton camper special, 16x7x7 CT work in progress toyhauler, 01 HD Ultra Classic, 98 HD Heritage Softail, 88 HD 1200 Sportster. viewtopic.php?f=42&t=51510
roadinspector
500 Club

Postby roadinspector » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:19 pm

lrrowe wrote:Earnst,
Can you describe more on how you set up your AC unit?
Or have you posted it earlier?

Bob

Bob,
Sorry it took so long to get this posted for you. I installed my door and outlet before I bought the AC. I could have put the outlet down low on the floor because my AC power cord is fairly long. I may still do that later. It would make the outlet more user friendly.
Earnest
2001 quad-cab Dodge Cummins 3/4 ton camper special, 16x7x7 CT work in progress toyhauler, 01 HD Ultra Classic, 98 HD Heritage Softail, 88 HD 1200 Sportster. viewtopic.php?f=42&t=51510
roadinspector
500 Club

Postby lrrowe » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:48 am

Thanks Earnest, (sorry for the earlier spelling error)

From this picture I assume you are going to mount the AC unit in a permanent position as opposed to sliding it and out. Right?
If this is true, is there an issue with getting outside air to flow around the sides of the unit for proper "cooling" circulation. I say this b/c I thought I saw from one of your prior pictures that you had a '"cargo" door over where the AC unit is going and that all you did to use it is to lift the door up to use the unit.

Now if I am wrong with this assumption, I assume you have more construction to do on the inside and I need to wait and see.

Bob
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby roadinspector » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:47 pm

lrrowe wrote:Thanks Earnest, (sorry for the earlier spelling error)

From this picture I assume you are going to mount the AC unit in a permanent position as opposed to sliding it and out. Right?
If this is true, is there an issue with getting outside air to flow around the sides of the unit for proper "cooling" circulation. I say this b/c I thought I saw from one of your prior pictures that you had a '"cargo" door over where the AC unit is going and that all you did to use it is to lift the door up to use the unit.

Now if I am wrong with this assumption, I assume you have more construction to do on the inside and I need to wait and see.

Bob

Hey Bob! Not a prob on the spelling error. Nicest thing I've been called in a long time. :D
The AC is removable. The unit is light enough to handle without a problem. The cargo door is larger than the AC unit.

110722 110721
The plywood insert is to take up the empty space between the door frame and the ac. The insert was under-cut by 1/4" to fit inside the door frame.

110720 110727 113866
The insert is held in place by the 1x2 "picture frame". The hole for the unit is 1/4" larger than the AC housing. This provides a snug fit when sliding it in but it gives me a smaller crack to seal with the foam. The only things I took off of the AC when I took it out of the box is the window sliders. These are the achordian pieces that mount to the sides of the AC that slide out and attach to the home window frame.

I left the bottom rail and top rail on the AC. These keep the unit from sliding out too far when it comes in contact with the insert. Plus it helps stop an honest person from removing the AC from the outside. Another advantage of this is that the top rail and bottom rail are offset. Meaning the top rail is mounted more towards the front than the bottom. When both rails mate with the insert, the AC has a slight angle down at the exterior. This will help drain condensation away from the CT that will build up inside the AC during humid weather.

110724 113941(Crappy pic but you can see that the door hinges up when AC is slide in.)
Unlatch the cargo door from the outside and slide it in from the inside. Put foam around it to help seal it, plug it in and enjoy the cool. Unplug it, slide it out from the inside, foam comes out on its own, latch the cargo door from the outside and your good to travel. The unit stores on the floor below its hole in the wall.

Hope this helped explain a little of the method to my madness. If not let me know, this is easy to disassemble (another part of my madness :twisted: , not my cabinets tho, that would be a royal PIA :cigar: ) I will be glad to do it and take more detailed pictures for you.

Earnest
roadinspector
500 Club

Postby lrrowe » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:36 pm

If I learned to read slower, I would catch the key words. Which in this case was that you said the AC was "removable". Now I see how it works.

Get to the site, lift it up and slide it in----simple. But you had better get a light AC. Have you thought about a sliding mechanism that I have see in other posts?
The small AC units from Frigidare as listed in Amazon are about 45 to 50 lbs. I guess one of these would not be that bad for someone like me to lift and put into position.

Bob
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby roadinspector » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:22 pm

Bob,
I did consider a slider mount for it and it would be easy to install. Only problem with a slider is the rails would be in the way at one time or another or the unit itself would be. I wanted it completely removable when not in use. I would guess that this unit weighs about 40 lbs and is not much of a problem to put and in place and remove. Maybe at a later date when lifting 40+ lbs becomes a problem I'll need to rethink a lot of things. :(

Earnest
roadinspector
500 Club

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions