Fresh Meat....16x7x7

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Fresh Meat....16x7x7

Postby pvangel » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:44 pm

Looks good!!!
Glad I am (almost) done with wiring, beds are next and I have to find some legs like that.
pvangel
Teardrop Master

Postby roadinspector » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:13 pm

pvangel wrote:I have to find some legs like that.

pvangel,
Thanks! Hope you can find some, I couldn't. Necessity is the mother of invention. I did these the hard way. I cut up an old bed frame and 1" square tubing with a cutoff blade on my circular saw. Burned up a few drill bits too. It would have been nice if I would have had a Harbor Freight $100 welder. It would have saved me some grief and time, but oh well. If you would like more tech info on how I built them PM me and I'll be glad to help.

Earnest
Dadgum it! I cut that board 5 times and it's still too short!
2001 quad-cab Dodge Cummins 3/4 ton camper special, 16x7x7 CT work in progress toyhauler, 01 HD Ultra Classic, 98 HD Heritage Softail, 88 HD 1200 Sportster. viewtopic.php?f=42&t=51510
roadinspector
500 Club

Postby roadinspector » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:52 pm

Time for an over due update. I'm not running a race except to get as much done as possible before summer sets in. Mostly just working on it on the weekends. It keeps me out of the wife's hair when I'm home. I had planned on doing my wiring next but realized it would be best to take care of some other things first.

I added a 1x4 down the middle of the roof for ceiling material support.

I then framed out for the roof opening for my propane/electric refer vent.
Cut the opening and installed the vent. The vent has mesh in it to keep the mud dobbers out. I double sealed it. I put strips of butyl under the vent edges and screwed it in place using stainless screws. After it was mounted, I put Eternabond roof seal tape around the edges.

103558 103559 103560

I added another 1/2" of insulation between the 1x4 supports. Then installed my 1/4" plywood for the ceiling material and used 1x2 to support and hide the plywood edges.

Earnest
2001 quad-cab Dodge Cummins 3/4 ton camper special, 16x7x7 CT work in progress toyhauler, 01 HD Ultra Classic, 98 HD Heritage Softail, 88 HD 1200 Sportster. viewtopic.php?f=42&t=51510
roadinspector
500 Club

Postby poordad » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:36 pm

nice work love the bed/dining table :applause:
looking in as many places as possible
poordad
Teardrop Advisor

Postby revorunner » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:32 pm

Coming along very nicely. :thumbsup: Keep up the good work.
revorunner
Teardrop Advisor

Postby roadinspector » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:16 pm

Thanks! By taking my time I have found better ways to get what I want and sometimes it even leads to overthinking a problem. :thumbsup:
roadinspector
500 Club

Postby roadinspector » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:25 pm

Long time no update. Finally got quite a bit of work done.

Salvaged water heater installed.

Upper cabinets across nose, storage cabinets and power panel installed with converter.
I will have a door at the end of counter for easy access to power panel. I have most of my wiring done but do not have any pics of it yet.

more upper cabinets against side and the tall one is for salvaged refer & salvaged furnace.

My foam from the foam factory arrived. This my dinette cushions/mattress. It was $100 cheaper to order in a big piece and cut my own cushions. I will have some left over to play with as needed. I will mark it off with a chalk line and cut with an electric knife. I have a friend that will make my cushion covers for me.

Another hole cut in wall for my ac. Installed a cargo door. It is oversized so below are pics of my mod to fit the ac and keep it in place.

I used the piece that I cut out of the wall for the door to make the inside piece. I backed it with 1/4" plywood to get my thickness. They are glued together. The notch outs are for the latches to be able to work. I put a piece of insulation strip between the door frame and the insert. The opening is cut to fit my ac. The insert will be framed with 1x2. The exterior of the insert will be paintedto prevent weather damage.

Cargo door installed. As you can tell there is a total of 8 holes on this side of my CT. NO LEAKS!!!! :worship: Water heater, Water intake port, elec port, refer side vent, furnace, 2 windows and a cargo door.

2 driving lights installed for ramp lights and back up lights when needed. I have more done but need to get pics.

Thanks again to everyone for all the help and ideas. :beer:

Earnest
roadinspector
500 Club

Postby roadinspector » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:29 pm

Cut lines marked off with chalk line on my foam.

I cut the foam to size with an electric knife. 2 @ 16"x60" and 2 @ 24"x60". This will give me nice size cushions for the benches and convert into a mattress 2" short of a queen size bed. Now they will go to my friend who is a excellent seamstress to get them covered. Going to use a heavy denim for durability and will be able to throw the covers in the washing machine.

I have a piece of foam left over that is 14"x82". This will come in handy for something I am sure. I may cut a couple of pieces to make small throw pillows would work nice. :thinking: If they are comfortable enough might just use them for regular sleeping pilows.

Earnest
roadinspector
500 Club

Postby roadinspector » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:24 pm

Long time since last update. Sorry no pics yet. I will try to take a few and post tomorrow evening. I have gotten lots accomplished. My wiring is 99% complete. I just need to install a water tank drain and sink drain to complete my water system. To finish my porta potty box I just need to install the lid latch and shocks that hold the lid open when in use. I am about 95% completed with all my cabinets. I am not a cabinet builder by any extent but they will be very functional and strong. IMO the finish work is rough. So stain and poly is out of the question. Wood putty and paint is the way I am going to have to go. 2 computer fans are installed in the roof vent. Another is installed at the window by the stove. LP system has not been installed at all yet. Forced air furnace is installed, all ducting is complete except for the covers. Thermostat is connected and tested. I still need to cut my table. My seamstress came by and picked up the foam pieces that will be transformed by her magic into cushions. It will be pushing it but I will have it completed enough for vacation again. We are leaving on Oct. 3rd and returning on Oct 12th. I was shooting to be thru a month before we leave but that is out the window. I will be doing good to have it done a week before. I really want some time to dry run all systems before we depend on them.

Earnest
roadinspector
500 Club

Postby roadinspector » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:32 pm

Well ,we got back from vacation a week ago and now have time to slow down and get caught up.
Completed duct work for furnace. Thing to remember with furnaces is that they require X sq. inches of flow. So if you design anything other than the size of duct opening it has be sure to calculate the area.

113606 113607
This duct is going under my porta pot storage box. My intent is to raise the short porta pot to the same heigth as a regular seat. The floor of the box is the roof for the duct. This duct transition is for a single 4" diameter duct. It flows towards the rear of the CT.

113616 113617
Porta pot completed. The lid is the right heigth for a comfortable seat after I put a 4" cushion on top. You can see the hole at the floor that is the furnace duct opening. The hole above it is access to the porta pot bowl slide valve. I installed spring loaded cabinet door supports to hold the lid to the box open. Nothing like getting smacked in the back while trying to take care of business in the middle of the night. I also put a latch on the lid to keep it closed while traveling. After I installed the supports, I realized that I probably didn't need the latch since the supports applied enough down pressure when closed.

113601 113602 113603 113604 113605
This homemade duct transition is for two 4" ducts. The part that I made is the end piece that converted a 5.5" sq down to the rectangle. This will come out from under the oven towards the front of the CT. The furnace is the only thing I used from my donor trailer that didn't work. The thermostat works, the blower turns on but I do not hear the igniter clicking to ignite the propane. I will try to diagnose the problem later. Could be the sail switch or the control board or...... No prob. All other appliances worked very well and I am happy with that!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Water system completed. I installed a 15 gal. tank and also shore water connections. I used valves instead of inline check valves to switch from tank to shore. Valves were less costly and more reliable than inline check valves. This is at the left front corner of the CT.

113609 113610 113611
Front cabinets and power panel completed. The wife likes to hang clothes so I built a hanging closet on the right. More storage on the bottom. The top is a slide out used for what ever. It ended up being food storage. The panel is accessed thru a door at the end of the counter. The vent on the face of the cabinet is for air circulation for the 12v converter. I also set the converter on blocks to expose the bottom for cooling.

113612 113614 113615
Cabinets completed, appliances (microwave, stove and refer) installed & counter complete except for epoxy paint. LED lights are installed over counter and stove. The side splash by the stove is black diamond plate. A computer fan is installed by the window for a vent fan. Most if not all cooking will still be done outside. It is nice to have options depending on the weather.

113623 113618 113620 113619 113621 113629
I got my covered cushions back from my friend. I would have prefered blue denim but off white denim was ALOT cheaper. I don't know if anyone remembers cloth flour sacks but that is what the material reminds me of. 100% cotton, so there is no problem about washing and dying em! :beautiful: I got the table top cut out. The dinette/bed worked great. It is very sturdy and easy to set up and take down. The Lux HQ foam I got from http://www.thefoamfactory.com/opencellfoam/LUX-HQ.html Their customer rep suggest this since my wife needed extra firm for her back. She didn't lie!! It is very FIRM. We ended up going into town and getting a 1-1/2" memory foam topper. That was the ticket to the most comfortable extra firm mattress I have ever slept on. :applause: :thumbsup: :applause: :thumbsup: The last pic is actually how we transported the table top. I originally was going to put it against one of the benches but it didn't allow me access to one of my motorcycle tie downs.

Bike loaded and ready to go!! I do have room to haul both bike if I want but for hauling just one I put it over the axles.

113628 113630
The bed in place and then back up for the trip home.

113624 113625 113627
A few shots of our camp site. We ended up at DeGray State Park in Arkansas. Its about 30 miles south of Hot Springs on AR7. We usually go to Joplin area at Lake Ouachita but thanks to the Gov shut down we had to seek alternate camping. It was very nice and quiet for the most part. As usual the wifes family raided us the first Saturday for a reunion and the rest was ours.

You can see the drip caps over the door and windows. They work great. Especially over the door. When only using the rv door latch the door did not seal well. I added extra foam to door to fill the gap at the top but my extra step was to install the drip cap. On the nose of the CT you can see the extra light added.

113657 113658 113659
I installed the diamond plated on the tongue with a cross brace under it and the tanks. I did not like the movement front to back of the tanks so I added the brace to the front wall. It does not interfer with removing or replacing the tanks. It worked great.

This is my new (to me) bike. This is part 2 of the main reason for this build. I have been building with the purpose of relieving as much stress from my wife's back as possible and still be able to do what we both enjoy, camping and riding. We have to haul the bike since she can't ride long distances any more. I had to get her off the ground and out of a tent. I also had to provide a comfortable bike she could be on. For the first time in a long time she only had as much back pain as if she was home. Everything that I did worked great for her. The bed was perfect for her. The bike, she rode with me 2 days. Before she would be stiff and hurting after a ride and totally shot for riding & anything else for a couple of days. Not now, she said this was the most comfortable and perfect ride she had had ever been on. No pain during, after or the next day. I would call this project a complete success with her positive painless (well no additional pain any way) feedback.

As for me, you can tell I enjoyed some time off with some much needed rest. I am not thru, there are things I still need to do to finish up what I have. I also have other ideas to add later. As I have mentioned, I suffer from improvementitis, :twisted: I can never leave thing alone. Many thanks to all for the help, ideas and harrassement (Jerry) :D .
:beer:
Earnest
roadinspector
500 Club

Postby OverTheTopCargoTrailer » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:09 am

Hey Hey Earnest

I'm always willing to offer unlimited free harassment :twisted:
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

So far only Big Daddy Don has gone totally off the rails with my joking around.
I love the California BASHERS the most - since I live here & I like to BASH THEM TOO.
They are stealing us blind .... But we are drowning in CHINESE Cash so they can do it for now.
The BASHERS from Texas - are great since I have a place there too ....
So I have lots of AMO ... How they are both screwed up in their own way.

Really great job on the trailer :lol: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I was just really hoping to see your Harley towing the trailer
Now that would be bitchen

Jerry :pictures: :pictures: :beer:
OverTheTopCargoTrailer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby hankaye » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:31 am

roadinspector, Howdy;

Very nice and well thought out build... adhering to the old saying
"If Momma ain't happy ... ain't nobody happy" safest way to travel. :thumbsup: , :thumbsup:

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Prem » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:05 pm

:thumbsup: Well done Earnest :EXP :beautiful:

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby lrrowe » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:44 pm

Earnst,
Can you describe more on how you set up your AC unit?
Or have you posted it earlier?

Bob
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby Rainier70 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:15 pm

Nice work. It looks very comfortable and well thought out.
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions