2013 Mirage XPO 6x12- Mt Air Express

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: 2013 Mirage XPO 6x12- Mt Air Express

Postby abqlloyd » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:15 pm

Home Depot carries 3' wide rolls. I think they are 50'.
abqlloyd
Teardrop Master

Postby walkrdg » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:39 pm

You might try ebay... I bought a 6' x 9' piece of Tyvek for about $16.00 (shipped) to use as a lightweight tarp. Look under "Tyvek sheet".
walkrdg
Teardrop Builder

Postby AZ_Desert_Rat » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:22 pm

Hi Cindy,
Thanks a bunch for the update ... :applause: :applause:
I had an old cab-over camper in the early '70's that would just touch the cab of my old truck. I remember stuffin all the floor cavities (The underside) with 4" thick fiberglass insulation packed to 2", and then sealed a piece of 3/4" plywood (4' x 8') and screwed it to the 2" x 2" floor joists. I was hoping to help the cold floor and it was a remarkable improvement. On a hunting trip that froze a 5 gal. Jerry can of water (setting outside of the camper) solid over night, the limolium floor was not really cold to bare feet in the morning, and the little propane stove making coffee in the morning caused one to open the windows!!

Thanks again and I will let you know when I get it insulated, but it has not warmed up above zero for the last few days ... so, I'll probably wait till we get warmer days and we are supposed to get more snow tomorrow ... :snow :snow
Happy Camping & Building,
John (JC)

The Arizona Desert Rat 6x10' Cargo Conversion

The FunFinder a 19' Toy Hauler

An AZ Desert Transplant
Gallery: gallery/album.php?album_id=3168
AZ_Desert_Rat
500 Club

Postby hankaye » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:02 pm

AZ_Desert_Rat, Howdy;

It was 60*F today, stayed in my shirt sleeves most of the day while I tossed Rascal his Aqua-Kong
and went for a short walk across some dusty fields. :R , ;) .

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby abqlloyd » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:25 pm

My buddy had a truck camper from the 80's. It sat directly in the bed of the truck. The floor was 2x4's laid flat and the space was filled with fiberglass. We decided to upgrade the insulation and pulled the camper, set down foam on sleepers and put the camper back. It made an amazing difference.

I've got 2" of Formular150 under mine with a 3/4" air space. Using great stuff to seal the edges. I'll cover the bottom with Tyvek.
abqlloyd
Teardrop Master

Postby lrrowe » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:36 pm

Cindy, I just sent you a PM.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby Rainier70 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:24 pm

Bob, if you don't mind I will try and answer your questions here on the forum for the benefit of others that may have similar questions.

Bob asked, "When you burn your NuWay stove at night, what do you do for the CO dangers? Do you crack a window? Run your vent?"

I have burned my stove all night, and I am sure I will again on some future trips. If it isn't really cold I will just light it early in the morning and maybe for a bit in the evening before I go to bed. Since I insulated my floor I usually only burn it in the mornings.

I always have a vent open. It keeps everything fresher and drier. Just breathing puts out a lot of moisture that needs to be vented. There is also a 1 1/2 inch opening right by the stove that the gas line comes in. Then there is the gap around my door. My side door does not seal tight on the inside latch, and occasionally I will have a window on the lee side of the trailer cracked open. So plenty of air coming in.

Since it isn't a sealed stove there is always a faint possibility of CO. I have a CO monitor, and I am very careful about being sure that it is drawing properly. I also taped all of the stovepipe joints especially the elbow where it turns to go through the wall. ...aluminum tape.

When I was having wind problems I didn't run it while sleeping. A flickering flame or getting blown out are indications that the wind is backdrafting the exhaust slightly. Not good.. that is a possible source of a small amount of CO escaping into the room. The monitor never did register any at all, and my hypersensitive lungs didn't notice any exhaust either, but always best to be safe. That is why I was testing my exhaust in the gale force winds were were having last week.

When I first got my stove I ran some tests on my thermocouple to make sure it was working. I ran it with a really low flame then blew out the flame myself...the thermocouple shut the gas off immediately. Good to know that the valve is working properly. Always make sure you are getting good draw on your exhaust. When a propane stove blows out the thermocouple shuts off the gas.... End of any exhaust or leaking propane gas.

Last thought, the NuWay stove would be very easy to modify and seal the firebox to use outside air for combustion. A piece of metal across the bottom with a 2 inch pipe nipple and metal flex pipe from that and through a vent in the floor.

Bob also asked about this:
"I noticed in one of your NuWay photos you showed the burning chamber. It is a chamber with the exhaust going off to the side and then up. I wonder if one could add the typical fireplace logs in there and let them warm up. Then as the flame dies down, the warmth of the logs could then give off heat for a period of time, thereby cutting the gas burning time."

The firebox is quite small. You might be able to get the ceramic in there, but I don't think it would be very efficient. Slim fire bricks along the insides might also work. But how will you keep that stuff from bashing around in there and doing damage when you travel? You want to be careful also that you aren't tricking your thermocoupler into thinking there is heat when the flame is out.

The heat retention is by mass, so you would be adding weight also. I don't think you will get enough mass there to have the effect last very long. A home propane stove has not only the ceramic logs and stuff in the firebox, it has much thicker metal in the firebox, cast iron frame, glass grills, and so on....basically a lot of mass besides the logs that retains the heat when the flame cycles off.

I have a covered 2 or 3 qt pot of water that sits on the top of the stove and heats up when the stove is running. It stays warm for quite awhile. I don't really use it as a heat retention device, but it does act in that capacity. The water is weight that I carry anyway and use for my shower in the morning. A metal water container next to the stove would probably give you more mass to heat than the ceramic logs.
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Rainier70 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:39 pm

Here is a picture of the square Coleman "vintage" cook set that I use on top of my Nuway Stove. It fits perfectly.

These pictures are from an ebay auction. Mine I have had since it was new (I too am "vintage") and it is in a much more USED condition! :shock: :oops:

Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby lrrowe » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:07 pm

Cindy, thanks for the detailed reply and saving me the work of having to restate it all in the forum.
Just about all you mentioned I thought I recalled seeing posted, or I thought of it also.
Sometimes I just need it restated.

Right now, while I would love a Dickerson stove and given the monies I have spent or have to spend going forward, it is on the "luxury" list or later. But I think your Model 2000 stove offers me a very reasonable heat solution for now. If I go with it, I will try some of the brick/firelog experiments: especially keeping in mind the transit issues. What the heck, it cannot hurt to experiment.

I do have one other experiment I will try as soon as I add the ceiling insulation and that is with a hydronic holding tank radiant concept. I have all the "stuff" it takes to try it.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby Rainier70 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:01 pm

One thing that I don't remember if I mentioned earlier either. When I got my stove and pipe we ran a torch over all of it and heated it up good. Then we connected it all and burned the heck out of it before putting it in the camper. That was to burn off any paint/metal fumes before it was used inside.

I also installed a 3 inch cast iron damper about 18 inches up from the stove. I got my damper from ebay. If you search on there for 3 inch cast iron stove damper, you should find quite a few. Ebay is also where I got my inside stove pipe collar, for where the pipe goes through the wall. Where you live finding 3 inch pipe and parts may be easier.

These guys have some information on venting it and they carry parts.

http://clancysoutdoors.com/venting-your-nu-way-stove/

If you use galvanized pipe, you have to burn the galvanizing off of the section that will get hot. Galvanized metal fumes can make you very sick!
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby lrrowe » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:22 pm

Thanks Cindy,
I am all too experienced with that new stove paint burn-off. We also go through something like that for our gas fireplace each year. I can only rationalize why it happens yearly is that it is dust burn-off. But that somehow does not seem to really answer the question, why?

The Clancy article is a good one to keep on file. I notice that the Ne-Way's site says to keep the stove 9" away from a combustible surface. But yours seems closer then that. I trust the heat shield you have up is more then up to the task.
Bob

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby Rainier70 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:07 pm

Mine is about 6 inches from the aluminum heatshield and the shield is offset a little more than an inch from the wall. My stove distance varies as I keep my stove removable. Each time I set it up the wall distance depends on how far I put the pipe through the wall. It can be out further than 6 inches, but I generally don't bother. I know I didn't bother to have it out all the way when I took pictures as I was only running it for a few minutes. So the stove in the pictures maybe in closer than I usually set it up to run if it is really cold. I didn't think about it when I took the pictures.

I run it on a pretty low or at the most a medium setting when I use it, so neither the shield nor the wall get hot. The shield I am using is a cutout from one of my window installs. If It got very hot, I would probably have to take the paint off of it.

If your ct is well insulated, you should have no trouble heating it with the stove on low. My side and back doors are still not insulated, and I have a few spots yet to finish with foam on the underside. It still heats up quickly and stays pretty comfortable in both the heat and the cold.
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby lrrowe » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:25 pm

This may be crazy, but I cannot wait to get out in the cold and test something out.
Bob

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby AZ_Desert_Rat » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:07 am

Hi Hank ... it is good to hear from you again :applause:

What's this 60 degree and walk in the dust ... I miss the winters in Arizona :cry: and am hoping to get that way before it gets too hot ... I need a fix on the desert and the sweet smell of sage in the morning :(

How's that new trailer of yours coming along ... have you done anything more with it :thinking:
Happy Camping & Building,
John (JC)

The Arizona Desert Rat 6x10' Cargo Conversion

The FunFinder a 19' Toy Hauler

An AZ Desert Transplant
Gallery: gallery/album.php?album_id=3168
AZ_Desert_Rat
500 Club

Postby hankaye » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:01 pm

AZ_Desert_Rat, Howdy;

John, No I haven't done anything with it since I got back from Mt.
Last June, (shame on me...). Truth is I had the truck in the shop in July
over in Mesa, Az. had a short-block in frame overhaul done at BulletProof
Eng. that set me back a bunch of coins... So, I'm looking at using tax
refund $'s for doing a basic job, something like Gonefishin's, to get me
running later this Spring. How are you surviving the Winter 'oop' yonder?

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions