2013 Mirage XPO 6x12- Mt Air Express

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: 2013 Mirage XPO 6x12

Postby Rainier70 » Sat May 18, 2013 4:09 am

Okay, here is my fairly simple idea that I will be replacing this temporary arraignment with next year. I was going to wait to post this after I built it, but I thought that I would throw this idea out there for others to use or adapt, as it may be awhile before I get a chance to build this myself. I have enough other things to get done that this part will wait probably until winter to get finished.

Instead of using an adjustable shower curtain wall I am going to build an extremely lightweight full height bathroom "drawer" to slide in and out. The front of it will be a door/wall with two short sides and no back. Think of a drawer with no top, bottom, or backside. This will run in and out on drawer slides and maybe bottom wheels. Probably 4 drawer slides...two on the bottom and two close to the top.

Kind of a pocket door concept, but it is a 3 sided room/wall sliding. By doing it this way my bathroom/shower area will only take up half the space when not in use. When using it, it will be a simple pull out, open the door, and step in. By expanding the front it gives the area enough elbow room to be more useable.

For my use I will still be showering in a small non-permanent arrangement of shower curtains and tub. The loo will still be a Lugagable or a Porta Potty. It will just be hidden behind a more cabinet looking front. If others want a more permanent, plumbed in arrangement, I think a toilet and small sink could be done.

I hope this explains it clearly enough. I don't have any drawings or mockups to show. I am interested in knowing what others think of the concept, and if it will be useful to them.
Cindy
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby pmowers » Sat May 18, 2013 10:30 am

Rainier70 wrote:As I was playing with this, I may change it more. I think I will go with one size larger pipe for the back 1/2 of the two sides. That way instead of using a bungee cord I could just slide the front half of the curtain rod holder out and then slide it back into the larger pipe to store. I would have to use a hook support in the front, but other than that it should work. It might give it a more finished appearance.

Instead of a bungee, have you thought about using a fastex buckle and nylon strap?
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Build log:http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=51193
pmowers
Donating Member

Postby Rainier70 » Sat May 18, 2013 3:29 pm

No, I hadn't, but I am not sure what the advantage would be.
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby crumvoc » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:26 am

Rainier70 wrote:Okay, here is my fairly simple idea that I will be replacing this temporary arraignment with next year. I was going to wait to post this after I built it, but I thought that I would throw this idea out there for others to use or adapt, as it may be awhile before I get a chance to build this myself. I have enough other things to get done that this part will wait probably until winter to get finished.

Instead of using an adjustable shower curtain wall I am going to build an extremely lightweight full height bathroom "drawer" to slide in and out. The front of it will be a door/wall with two short sides and no back. Think of a drawer with no top, bottom, or backside. This will run in and out on drawer slides and maybe bottom wheels. Probably 4 drawer slides...two on the bottom and two close to the top.

Kind of a pocket door concept, but it is a 3 sided room/wall sliding. By doing it this way my bathroom/shower area will only take up half the space when not in use. When using it, it will be a simple pull out, open the door, and step in. By expanding the front it gives the area enough elbow room to be more useable.

For my use I will still be showering in a small non-permanent arrangement of shower curtains and tub. The loo will still be a Lugagable or a Porta Potty. It will just be hidden behind a more cabinet looking front. If others want a more permanent, plumbed in arrangement, I think a toilet and small sink could be done.

I hope this explains it clearly enough. I don't have any drawings or mockups to show. I am interested in knowing what others think of the concept, and if it will be useful to them.
Cindy

I think I get what you are proposing.... and I like it. But could you perhaps post a simple drawing or maybe make a small cardboard model to make it clear? I am envisioning it as basically a small room on wheels? THanks!
Living in the high-desert.
crumvoc
Teardrop Master

Postby Rainier70 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:43 pm

I don't have a drawing etc right now.

Not so much a small room on wheels as a large drawer front that slides out of a cabinet... Think of the back half being a U shape that a slightly narrower U shape slides into. U is flat on the back not curved. Three sides on each half.

The back sides would be fixed in position, but only measure a little more than half of the finished depth of the room. The front panel, which contains the door, along with some short sides would slide in and out of the fixed back half. The sides of the front half would then extend in front of the door, and into the walkway about half way, but it's no big deal as it isn't there but for a short time. Although I can envision my hubby trying to slide it in on me for a joke! :o

So just like a drawer you would slide the front half of the bathroom out, then open the door and go in. There would be enough room in the back half for the porta-potty etc. to stay in there. The extending out of the front half would just give nice leg and elbow room. When finished with shower or other business, just step out, close the door and slide the front section back into the back half. Good drawer slides and maybe some skinny wheels on the bottom should be able to handle the weight. Positioning the drawer slides so that there isn't leverage or twist from the tall face may take some experimenting, or maybe two sets. Wish I had time right now to build it. I want to play with the idea!

I hope this helps to clarify what I am thinking of.
Cindy
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: 2013 Mirage XPO 6x12- Mt Air Express

Postby Rainier70 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:37 pm

I am not finished with the Mountain Air Express by any means, but I am already changing and remodeling it. I thought I had better document how I had my solar panel set up before I get done changing it.

I have a 100watt solar panel that is about 2 ft by almost 4 ft. I had it set up where it could hang inside on the wall. Then when I needed it, I could hang it outside on the side of the CT with the same type of hangers. What I came up with was using $2.50 gate latches from Walmart.

Since my panel was just short of 4 ft it made it so that the receiving part of the latches would have at least two screws in the wall studs. It was very simple to put up or take down. Just slide the posts into the latch and clip a mini biner through the hole so that it couldn't come out. Then on the wall, when it was riding inside, I had a strap over the middle to keep the bottom from bouncing out.

For a portable panel set up it was great, because I could use two padlocks and lock the panel in. It wouldn't stop someone with time and tools, but it did semi-secure it from the casual pickup. Another nice feature was that I could prop the bottom of the panel out.

Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of it on the outside of the CT. I have already removed the holders there. I do have a couple of it on the wall inside and strapped down.

Even though this system worked great, I am changing it. I found that I would just plain forget to hook the panel up. But for those of you that are more on the ball it should work.

I have ordered the ABS corner mounts and VHB tape for mounting it on the roof. I just need to pick up some stainless steel screws and hardware to mount the panel on to the ABS.
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby OverTheTopCargoTrailer » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:16 pm

GREAT IDEA with the gate latches. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

your roof looks pretty curved, are you sure the ABS corner mounts will sit square ?
OverTheTopCargoTrailer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Rainier70 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:17 pm

On the roof curve: we won't know for sure until we try it. I plan on first taping the feet on and see how the sit. For sure the panel will have a degree of slant to it.
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Rainier70 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:03 pm

The ABS feet won't work. There is too much curve for all four of them to sit completely flat. I could do it with metal angle, but for now I am going back to using the side mounts. Even if the trailer is oriented north to south, the sides pick up quite a bit of sun. When the trailer is parked east to west then the sides work even better than the roof would.

I do like that I can put locks on the latches. At least it discourages the "unprepared" light fingered lifters. No locks in this picture as it is at home. The bottom is propped out with a temporary set up using one of my blocks and a bungee cord for the wind.

Last edited by Rainier70 on Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Gonefishin » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:05 pm

I like the attached panel idea. I'm still taking my little 40w panel in and out at each site. Only takes a few minutes though, and its inside when trailering. When you get it all done, we need to rendezvous on some river and compare trailers/ideas some day. Henry's, SF, Silver Cr?
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Postby Rainier70 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:22 am

The panel riding inside is more protected, and I really don't mind setting it out. It only takes a few minutes, but I think I get so excited to go fishing ... I forget to do it!!

Meeting up and comparing notes sounds like a lot of fun. I need to add heat soon, as it is getting pretty chilly in the high country now. I still love your Dickinson Heater, but I think I am going to have to go for something that is a little less money. Either that or save for it all winter.

It will be awhile before I can get this more finished as I keep having to use it right now, I need a just about guaranteed period that I won't need it, in order to get some finish on wood etc. It will need to air out again before I can use it.

The good thing is it is usable and comfortable now, and.......the fish are biting! But I think that I fish smaller rivers than you do. I wouldn't begin to know how to fish the SF or Henry's unless it is the Outlet.

This Colorado Cutthroat is a big boy for the tiny Uinta stream it was out of.

And this is about the usual size of stream I fish! :lol:

I think it rained every single day I was in the Uintas. -- a week and a half of mud! But the fishing was great. ----Sure glad I wasn't in a tent or the truck canopy anymore! :)

(Uinta's trip is here: http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gf ... ost=839098 )
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Gonefishin » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:11 am

I saw your Uintas post on BFT. Looked like fun. I like the smaller creeks too. I fish some tribs. in MT that are pretty tiny, but the fish are spookier than those in the high country. I fish Flat Creek in Jackson a few times too, and its a tiny trickle this year. The bigger rivers have those big heads slurping bugs though, and there's just something about making those long drifts with 18-foot leaders to a 20-incher that keeps me going to them. I have some pics of some of the smaller waters on my blog.
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Postby ZombieSoldier » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:52 am

i was looking at the pic of the solar panel you have in the one picture. A few questions about it

- where did you get it?
- what is the amount of power it provides?
- what can you adequately run off that solar system?

I am looking for one adequate enough for a 12 cup coffee maker
ZombieSoldier
Teardrop Builder

Postby hankaye » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:31 am

ZombieSoldier, Howdy;

I'm thinkin' it would depend on the amperage draw
of the coffee maker. When camping I prefer to
use a perk style and either a campfire or the propane stove.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Rainier70 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:44 am

The panel is a 100 Watt one made by Grape Solar. I got it from Costco online.

http://www.costco.com/Grape-Solar-100-W ... 54656.html

It is to recharge my CT's deep cycle battery. I am not sure what all it will run (recharge from use), as I generally only use my battery for led lights, fan, and computer/cell phone recharge. I don't use any larger appliances.

You would need a large inverter to run a 12 cup coffee maker off of the battery. Then depending on the number of watts used, you might need a good day of sunshine to replace the power used from your battery.

You could probably do it with a good pair of deep cycle batteries, an expensive inverter, and one or two solar panels.

I would think you could probably find a smaller coffee maker that uses less watts. Or I think there are 12 volt coffee makers out there also.
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions