Canadian 6 x 10 toy hauler conversion, eh!

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Canadian 6 x 10 toy hauler conversion, eh!

Postby shepoutside » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:54 pm

New to this forum, but was happy to see info here as I was about to undertake this concept.

First the dream Image

Then reality set in, with the wife's help :roll: and now I am deciding between two 6x10 trailers I now own. This will also need to haul my DP bike Image
with camping a close 2nd.
So now the trailers Image
One is a ramp door with a side door and roof vent in black, the other is a barn door, no ramp/vent or side door, in white. :thinking: leaning to the ramp door for the bike, but the white one is really low to the ground, so no ramp would be needed. The white one is in new condition, while the black one is a little more experience. As it is coming into the winter months, I will plan and gather parts, and hope to have it completed in the spring. It needs to go to BC next summer with me and my daughter. That's about it for now, now time to do some planning. :twisted:
shepoutside
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Canadian 6 x 10 toy hauler conversion, eh!

Postby roadinspector » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:00 pm

Keep us posted. I'm interested in what you come up with. :twisted:
Earnest
Dadgum it! I cut that board 5 times and it's still too short!
2001 quad-cab Dodge Cummins 3/4 ton camper special, 16x7x7 CT work in progress toyhauler, 01 HD Ultra Classic, 98 HD Heritage Softail, 88 HD 1200 Sportster. viewtopic.php?f=42&t=51510
roadinspector
500 Club

Postby hankaye » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:18 pm

shepoutside, Howdy;

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with...
and so it begins, ... slowly he turned ... step by step...

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby shepoutside » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:38 pm

Ok, so first step, well, I did this a few years ago, and will just do the same, or mount this tool box on my personal truck, as it has worked out so well. Mounted a portable Honda genny in the truck tool box, and wired it to the out side of the box. Has fans that will come on if it gets to warm in there. I use it for work ( core drill to install road signs ) so this will double as the portable power for the trailer. Might upgrade as the next size up is electric/remote start, but as I'm cheap.........er.......thrifty :roll: I'm sure this will be the one. I'm planning on running everything off 12 volts/propane. I will have a window rattler planned for this build, for the odd time my wife comes along ( has MS needs the A/C) but would stay in hydro camp sites or bring my bigger genny, but the norm for me is to be off grid.
shepoutside
Teardrop Inspector

Postby pchast » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:56 pm

That's an interesting method of mounting the Generator. Good security vs. other methods.
Is the system loud with box covering vibration?
:thinking:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Rainier70 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:04 pm

I love your generator setup. Very nice!

On the trailers: For camping a vent and a side door are great to have. The vent is an easy and inexpensive addition. Putting in a side door is more difficult, but several on here have done it. The other thing, is that if you haul your bike too, it is nice to have an impervious floor for those unexpected spills.
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby shepoutside » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:42 am

pchast wrote:That's an interesting method of mounting the Generator. Good security vs. other methods.
Is the system loud with box covering vibration?
:thinking:

I have put the genny on anti-fatigue mat, and it just purrs in there, no vibration. Then nice thing is, it pops out of there in a few seconds if need be, and can go anywhere.
shepoutside
Teardrop Inspector

Postby shepoutside » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:49 am

Rainier70 wrote:I love your generator setup. Very nice!

On the trailers: For camping a vent and a side door are great to have. The vent is an easy and inexpensive addition. Putting in a side door is more difficult, but several on here have done it. The other thing, is that if you haul your bike too, it is nice to have an impervious floor for those unexpected spills.

Thanks for the kind words. I'm leaning towards the black trailer as it has the side door/vent/ramp, and the white trailer has more wall space for hanging stencils ( I paint lines in parking lots ) The flooring will be built for ease of cleaning up spills ( gas/oil/beer/chiken wings) so looking into that now too.
shepoutside
Teardrop Inspector

Postby orcadigital » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:02 am

Welcome to the forums!

I would do the black one, but I love the side door, and have found the ramp door to be more versatile for use as a trailer, though the barn doors seem to be more useful from the camping perspective. I also prefer the non-white trailers.

Looking forward to seeing the progress!
orcadigital
Teardrop Advisor

Postby shepoutside » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:29 pm

So planning a chuck box to attach to the outside, so as to save room inside. This one is 3 x 5. Will weatherproof and line with wood, but this is the start anyway.
shepoutside
Teardrop Inspector

Postby shepoutside » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:35 pm

I am basing mine off the ones you can buy, (see below) and may end up buying one if I can't get them sealed good :?
http://www.alum-line.com/
shepoutside
Teardrop Inspector

Postby shepoutside » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:38 am

Not much to report, but I have made up my mind which trailer. The white one wins. No side door, and I don't think I'll add one either. Barn doors on the rear, and not sure I will build a wall inside these doors ( best for loading my bike in and out), or take them off an put a RV door on the rear and skin the rest, make it like a truck camper ( bike will live in the back of the pickup). Need windows, and has no roof vent, so need to add that. :thinking: Now the planning starts!!
shepoutside
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Rainier70 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:51 pm

I am looking forward to seeing more of your build. Especially how you go about closing the barndoors from the inside.
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby shepoutside » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:17 pm

Not much to report, still in the planning stages, or more like re-planning stages :lol: Waiting for warmer weather to start the build. Now back to ice fishing!
shepoutside
Teardrop Inspector

Postby roadinspector » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:08 pm

Work in progress! Glad to see the wheels are turning.
Dadgum it! I cut that board 5 times and it's still too short!
2001 quad-cab Dodge Cummins 3/4 ton camper special, 16x7x7 CT work in progress toyhauler, 01 HD Ultra Classic, 98 HD Heritage Softail, 88 HD 1200 Sportster. viewtopic.php?f=42&t=51510
roadinspector
500 Club

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions