Its sort of mine!

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Its sort of mine!

Postby jwh92020 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:56 pm

Padilen - What kind of awning do you have?
jwh92020
Teardrop Master

Postby flboy » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:58 pm

Where did you get that roll up window shade? I need one like it for my CTC door window also. I like that. Tx.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Its sort of mine!

Postby Padilen » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:06 pm

It's here! And FedX driver took Gen so I don't have to take it to Cadillac

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkImage
Last edited by Padilen on Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:08 pm

flboy wrote:Where did you get that roll up window shade? I need one like it for my CTC door window also. I like that. Tx.

I'll check but I think it was Amazon 2 pack. I didn't like them gave them to my mom for her TT bedroom door window. Hung hers and liked it so I took one back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Its sort of mine!

Postby Padilen » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:14 pm

Here you go Don,
Car sun shades - SODIAL(R) 2pcs Black Retractable Sun Shade Roller Car Curtain Window Shade UV Cut / Protection (40*60cm) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FTLR7HS/re ... O838x5cKGb
I have an old one that's much nicer but to small. It works like the old blinds.

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:17 pm

I'm very sore and tired, I washed my moms TT and Awning yesterday. So I was just going to veg today. NOT. I washed my awning and roof.
Got fridge in TAZ but have not plugged it in. Going to wait just incase it was tipped.

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby flboy » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:34 pm

Thanks for the link. Good idea to wait on the fridge
Certainly won't hurt it to wait.

Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:19 pm

jwh92020 wrote:Padilen - What kind of awning do you have?

Sorry I missed this earlier.
Dometic, it was originally on my mother's TT. It was 18' long. Awning fabric was ripped, she wanted powered. So I took it cut it down and bought & new awning fabric.

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:26 pm

Order # received for gen replacement.
Hot and windy, got done with my doing and checked out TAZ.
Turned AC on around 4:30- 84*. Went in around 5:00- temp was back and forth 84-78. AC was set on 70. Same thing as last year, when I read to place a fan blowing back at intake.
Took awhile to get fan in correct spot. Then the temp stayed at 75* I lowered it to lowest setting 62. No change. Outside temp dropped 1 -2 degrees so the AC also dropped those 2*. So if it's 90* out an I only going to get TAZ to 80.*?. 74 or so in good and ELI is too but 80* maybe to much.
So I've got some planning & work ahead.

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby McDave » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:59 pm

You need to stop exchanging air. The same air needs to be conditioned over and over. Somehow, the condenser needs to be fed outside air, and the evaporator inside air. So, I think I would take a floor jack and jack that unit up and slide a better system in its place.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Its sort of mine!

Postby Padilen » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:08 pm

McDave wrote:You need to stop exchanging air. The same air needs to be conditioned over and over. Somehow, the condenser needs to be fed outside air, and the evaporator inside air. So, I think I would take a floor jack and jack that unit up and slide a better system in its place.

McDave

Just PM Don with some questions on his build.
But I'll let you in on it too.
I can't be moving an AC around outside.
I have 2- window units an 8000 and a 10000. I just bought 2- 6" inch deck plates.
I have some duct work
I have 1-6" inline duct fan.
I just got, plugged it in today a small fridge 120 only. - should run out and see what temp is in it.
I'm thinking - I know cause my head hurts. That I could build some sort of something over the fridge. A window AC would the go over it. One duct for intake and one for exhaust. One fan or get another and have a fan in the exhaust and another in intake.
I've spent all I can on "big" stuff, for TAZ. I can try selling all 3 but I don't believe I get enough for one small window AC.

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby McDave » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:23 am

Hey, now your using your noodle.
Ok, so I have a Norcold RV fridge, small 18 x 24". Mounted at eye level. Underneath is the microwave that sits on the countertop behind the sink. Under the sink is a sealed compartment with access from outside, the door is vented. I Keep the propane and the pump and the stinky slinky in there. So I made a duct that runs behind the microwave up to the ceiling. Then I put a opening just big enough for the condenser coil of the fridge to fit into the duct. There is a foam seal around the opening that seals the duct to the fridge back outside wall. The condenser is inside the duct. Then I put a vent to the outside at the top of the duct on the outside wall. So now when the condenser throws out heat it is vented to the upper vent,(heat rises) and cool fresh air comes in through the lower vented access door. This is the chimney effect.
So the condenser removes the heat from the fridge to the outside, not into the cabin. The cool air coming in the access door rushes over the condenser coils and out the top vent removing the heat very efficiently. This allows the Freon to expand and absorb the heat inside the fridge very fast. Then pumps that heat outside, not inside. If I hold a flame to the access door it gets sucked in, and if I hold a flame to the top vent it gets blown away, confirming the chimney effect. When the fridge is not running, little or no air movement. But when fridge is running definite verifiable air flow.
Whew, that was a long one. The point is you could use the same basic principle and get a two-fer. Since the AC, window air needs fresh air and a exhaust vent, if it was sitting on the reefer and the reefer condenser coil was in the duct as I described, when the AC was running it would pull outside air across the reefer coil then thru the AC coil then exhaust. When the AC was not running, you would get the chimney effect. Either way the heat from the reefer goes outside, not into cabin. A huge plus. Otherwise the reefer cond heat just goes back into the cabin and makes its way back into the reefer and goes around and around until you remove it, with an air conditioner. This way is more efficient for both units.
Bingo! A two-fer. I know, it's brilliant. Now I don't share that with just anyone, you know. But you are my favourite so I will let you in on it. As an added bonus, should decide to move forward with this cutting edge design, I happen to have a spare vented access door that I would gladly gift to you. So here is your chance to move out in front of the crowd and be a mover and a shaker, a visionary if you please. I've given you the fundimentals, but you will have to design the system to work with your machines and trailer. if you have questions I'll be happy to help. I can almost promise you there will be people to talk you out of it. But eventually, they will have to concede and adopt this system, then claim it as their own. You see, Physics are not just good ideas, They are the laws.
Think about it,

McDave

Here is a pic of the vented access door, and the upper vent. The duct is about 4" deep or so and runs form the top of the door to the upper vent. Propane, pump and stinky slinky are stored below.
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:22 am

Good morning,
Thanks McDave, still a lot of thinking to do on this. I have those wonderful 16 on center and less "studs", so I have to consider that. I have to go play on a tractor skidding logs today. Check in later.

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby flboy » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:34 am

Padilen, here is some information on my AC build as you requested in the PM. This should give you some ideas. You can obviously get creative and do something on the floor, midway or etc.. Just need to isolate intake, exhaust , and interior from each other and have adequate volume for intake and exhaust with a free flow so as to not labor the AC fan too much.

Will have to do this in two posts. They only allow 3 attachments per.

Build the frame with the exhaust (side of trailer) vent and Intake (top roof). If you built this on the floor, you could build a standoff and put the vent intake on the floor similar fo ceiling. Exhaust still through side.

AC1.JPG
AC1.JPG (29.41 KiB) Viewed 3235 times

See placement of aAC on shelf relative to vents. Make sure the Intake is where it needs to be to not be wher the exhause chamber is built. Bolt AC to shelf and get drain hose ready.
AC2.JPG
AC2.JPG (62.84 KiB) Viewed 3235 times

You can see all I did then was take 1in Blue foam and cut to build the walls to isolate the exhaust from the intake and inside of trailer. All goes outside through vent. AC just bolts to shelf.
AC3.JPG
AC3.JPG (64.63 KiB) Viewed 3235 times

Remainder on next post.
Last edited by flboy on Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby flboy » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:40 am

View of exhaust area. Just tape and caulk blue foam. This seals it all in and hold it in place. I put some flooring material on the shelf in the rear in case water blows in the vent so as to not affect the plywood. You could just paint it well.

AC4.JPG
AC4.JPG (41.28 KiB) Viewed 3233 times

Blue foam on face and sides to isolate intake from inside CTC. Now you have a complete intake and exhaust that is iolated from the interior. If you ever need to replace the AC and it is a different size.. just cut new foam. Foam is literally cut slightly large, pressed into place and taped off. The you just build a nice face for the AC and panel. This can be done on the floor also as mentioned... just flip the intake to the bottom and standoff from floor some to allow airflow up sides.'

AC5.JPG
AC5.JPG (32.51 KiB) Viewed 3233 times

See outside view of vents. Uses normal LP Fridge Vents that can be bought on Amazon of EBay. These are the Camco type. Other Venting can be used... up to you. Just make sure the volume is adequate.

As I built this, this unit just thinks it is sitting outside a window as intended. :)

P.S. for your trailer...make sure your new Generator runs your 8,000 BTU. I'd use that one. It is more than large enough for your size trailer. 10,000 BTU would be overkill if your trailer is insulated well... and you'd also be pushing your generator harder than needed. If your fridge is a self contained electric.. I would not worry about the complexity of venting it... it is adding some minimal heat (the heat from the compressor running is the only additional), it is just exchanging interior air (zero sum game).. In the winter you may welcome that minimal heat.. Sure, you could vent it.. but I'd personally keep it simple.. You are not building the space shuttle... And if you just opened your trailer door one time less per day... got it covered. That 8,000 BTU AC has the fridge covered. I am running 6,000 BTU with a larger Fridge and Trailer in Florida.... it works just fine and will last a long time. You got this!

AC6.JPG
AC6.JPG (25.2 KiB) Viewed 3231 times
Last edited by flboy on Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions