6x12 Vee Toy Hauler Lite build

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: 6x12 Vee Toy Hauler Lite build

Postby sdiver68 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:43 am

2 more pictures, 6.5' Etrack secured to the L-R walls with the bottom of the Etrack at 42.5" high. 20 #10 self tapping screws per track, somehow I managed to get all screws into the 1/2" metal flares of the hat post wall studs. Lots of measuring with walls off and could use the existing screws also as guides.

sdiver68
Teardrop Builder

Postby sdiver68 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:50 am

Loft Bed

So the Etrack in my prior post allows this:

Add some more Etrack stud holders, 2x4 studs, 1/2 Hardwood Plywood, and a full sized futon mattress I purchased from Craigslist for $40

sdiver68
Teardrop Builder

Postby sdiver68 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:00 am

Just thought I'd share my space numbers for road race bikes in case other racers are reading this thread. I've taken a bunch of measurements from several different models (Suzuki GSXR, Honda CBR, Kawasaki ZX, and Yamaha R) and arrived at 30"Wx82"Lx48"H as safe space requirements. Do your own measurements of course but these have proven to be great planning numbers.

Posts are not complete without a picture so I'm just going to share 1 of my dream race trailering set-ups...ex-SWAT I found for sale near me 8)

sdiver68
Teardrop Builder

Postby sdiver68 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:29 pm

While working on the trailer interior today I tested my small ceramic heater. Remember I have only insulated the roof. With a garage temp of 40 degrees, it took awhile to heat to 65 degrees but easily maintained that temp. The walls actually were fairly warm but the floor was definitely cold. I'm pretty sure I'll be insulating the floor next and retesting.

I stood there looking at my bed and it occurred to me that taking it apart to move bikes or for living space if it was raining outside would be a pain. Also, where would I "store" the mattress during the day? Problem solved with a trip to Menards for their heavyweight diamond plate track shelving which was conveniently on sale:

sdiver68
Teardrop Builder

Postby sdiver68 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:59 pm

Using 2 smartphones...

1) Older Galaxy S3 I had lying around re-purposed for its Camera, thanks to IP Webcam application https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .pro&hl=en
2) Galaxy S5 I currently use as my everyday phone, configured for mobile WiFi hotspot and camera controller/monitor thanks to tinyCam Monitor https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .pro&hl=en

...a 12V DC power outlet and 360 phone swivel mount.

I was able to do this, Trailer Cam! (see notes after picture)

Almost any WiFi Camera will work, I'm also adding a second weatherproof camera to the outside for pit security. I'm looking mostly at Foscam and Tenvis options.

The 7 fps transmission rate you see is from inside and the other side of the house from the garage. From my tow vehicle, it's about 15 fps. Either are more than enough for the peace of mind peak into what's going on in the trailer while on the road.
sdiver68
Teardrop Builder

Postby lrrowe » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:14 pm

Please excuse my limited knowledge in this area, but you are saying with this app and almost any wifi camera I can buy, that is all I need to make this work. That means to me, if the camera and my smartphone are on, I use the app and I can view these type images?
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby Rocky5000100 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:45 pm

That's awesome! I may try that for a backup camera, or even to just keep on while driving to see who's behind me!

Perhaps one like this
http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayIS ... 5325718931
Rocky5000100
Teardrop Master

Postby sdiver68 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:17 pm

That means to me, if the camera and my smartphone are on, I use the app and I can view these type images?

Yes, exactly...once installed and configured.

Although any IP addressable WiFi camera should work, tinyCam website has an extensive list of official compatible cameras and any additional functionality such as lights, audio, etc.. supported here:

http://tinycammonitor.com/support.html

For instance, I'm using IP Webcam to turn my Android based phone into a full time video camera. The supported list says "Android: IP Webcam (mjpeg, 2-w audio, motion detection, sensors, auto focus, led)"
sdiver68
Teardrop Builder

Postby sdiver68 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:21 pm

Rocky5000100 wrote:That's awesome! I may try that for a backup camera, or even to just keep on while driving to see who's behind me!

Perhaps one like this
http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayIS ... 5325718931

Thanks.

That camera should work on the generic camera setting. Sticking with the supported list has its advantages. Since you are a Racer...if you have a GoPro 3 or 4 then you could use that. tinyCam supports a bunch of cameras streaming at once so you can monitor several cameras at once...backup, inside, and outside.

I splurged a whole $8 to buy the "Pro" versions of the apps :lol: but you can download the advertising supported apps with most functionality for free to test.
sdiver68
Teardrop Builder

Postby Rocky5000100 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:48 pm

Thanks.

That camera should work on the generic camera setting. Sticking with the supported list has its advantages. Since you are a Racer...if you have a GoPro 3 or 4 then you could use that. tinyCam supports a bunch of cameras streaming at once so you can monitor several cameras at once...backup, inside, and outside.

I splurged a whole $8 to buy the "Pro" versions of the apps :lol: but you can download the advertising supported apps with most functionality for free to test.

Oh I forgot about the gopro! Gives me an excuse to buy the 3 or 4 haha. I've had the Hero 2 for 3 summers now and I have to tape the SD card and wedge it in otherwise it stops recording haha.
Rocky5000100
Teardrop Master

Postby sdiver68 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:57 pm

Wheel Mounts

First a picture from Daytona CCS during my Amateur season :D

With racers and many track guys a spare set of wheel (or 2) is nice to have. Mounted rain tires or simply having the luxury of a fresh dry set mounted are requirements for chasing titles. Here's a pic of my old trailer, notice the wheels mounted on the wall. These mounts are awesome for protecting your wheels and in particular the brake disks mounted on the fronts. I also like that they are removable when you want or need the space. Note the tie down straps in the picture above are not structural...they simply helped keep those tires in place.

So here's how I do it using 1/2"W x 6" to 8" galvanized pipe, 1/2" galvanized pipe flange, galvanized pipe cap, a few large fender washers 3/4ths hole, some leftover plywood in 1/2 or 3/8ths, and IMPORTANT #14x1.5" sheet metal screws and/or 1/4 x 1.5" lag screws. Each mount costs about $15.

1) Mark location of wall studs and where you want your wheel holders to go. Mine are hat posts with the middle of the "brim" 2 inches apart. Use 29" as the safe diameter of the Wheel/Tire combination...at least for almost all commonly raced 17" Sportbike Tires.

2) Prepare Flange/Plywood assembly as shown in pictures:

3) Place Assembly where you marked it on the wall, use a hammer to indent each screw into the wall to mark their locations. Take assembly off wall.

4) Where the indentations are in the wall, use a drill bit first where the flange screws go to make sure you have hit the studs. If so, go ahead and drill the rest of your pilot holes into the studs. Make sure to use a spacer on the drill so as not to accidentally drill through the outer skin...ask me how I know. :oops: DO NOT USE self tapping screws IMHO...my 1 failure of this system over thousands of miles of trailering was due to broken self tappers...and also before I added the plywood backing and additional screws...the flange was mounted directly to the wall.

5) Holes are drilled, everything is good...just tighten everything up

Now you can screw on your galvanized pipe, 6-8" works well depending upon if you are mounting a front or rear. Add a washer over the pipe, the wheel, some washers or spacer for a tight fit and the cap to hold everything on.
sdiver68
Teardrop Builder

Postby Rocky5000100 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:08 am

Awesome idea! When I get extra wheels I will have to steal that idea.
Rocky5000100
Teardrop Master

Postby sdiver68 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:36 pm

OK I've gotten a ton of work done, but most important was floor mounts for up to 3 bikes and tie downs for various cargo. I'll label the spots for the bikes Front (F), Right Rear (RR), and Left Rear (LR)

F or RR, STS Axle Stand
F or LR, Condor Chock
LR, Pingel Chock with or without Aussie Tyre Down
PitBull Trailer Restraint System bike can be FR or RR

Painting the walls will probably be done in season, less than 2 weeks before the shake-down weekend practice at Hallett Raceway!
sdiver68
Teardrop Builder

Postby sdiver68 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:38 pm

Also, added the mount and most of the wiring for Trailer Cam. I would be done with the wiring but the marine grade 12V power outlet I ordered was too deep for my walls so I ordered a flush mount version.

Use this:

Instead of this:

And the mount:
sdiver68
Teardrop Builder

Postby sdiver68 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:28 pm

"Model Shot"

sdiver68
Teardrop Builder

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions