H&H 14x7 V nose conversion in MN

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

H&H 14x7 V nose conversion in MN

Postby nunrleft » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:17 pm

Edited 10-10-2018: Here's the video of the entire build so you don't have to read 10 pages:

Some of this information I previously posted in my introduction thread; http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=62686 But, since parts started arriving today and you guys like pictures, I thought I'd start the build thread.

The project: Conversion of a new H&H V-Nose cargo trailer into a toy carrier.
The objective: A comfortable place to stay while hauling a couple vintage motorcycles to shows and camping

My brother and his wife have been hounding us to get an RV for several years. The problem is I live in St. Paul and have a 40x120 ft lot. On this lot sits my house and garage, 3 motorcycles, 1 suv, 1 pickup a 10 ft snowmobile trailer and 2 snowmobiles and a 10x12 storage shed. Not much room left for an RV. More involvement in a vintage motorcycle club and lack of snow prompted me into considering selling the sleds and trailer. With much consideration and a little sadness my wife and I agreed it was time to look into a toy hauler and sell the sleds

We went to our big RV show in February to look at toy haulers. Way too much money, too many amenities and not enough hauling space. So we decided to build our own.

The first of March we went to an H&H trailer dealer and ordered a 7x14 V nose w/ramp door and a few options; 6-6 ceiling height, recessed E-tracks, opening windows with screens on both sides, an RV style side door with screen door, 30 amp external A/C plug w/o interior wiring, a roof vent with reinforcement for an A/C and radial tires. We also ordered it with two tone paint. We're supposed to take delivery by mid April.

I've since sold the snowmobiles and trailer to finance the interior build. I've also ordered some parts: Magic Chef mini fridge, Brisk II rooftop A/C with heat strip, 8700 Series 35 Amp RV Power Center Converter, 2 10 gallon fresh and grey water tanks, Shurflow Revolution water pump, strainer, fill tubes, 50 feet of 16/2 Marine grade wiring for the 12v system and 50 feet of 12/3 Marine grade wiring for the A/C system. I also picked up a Tekonsha P3 brake controller for my truck along with the appropriate ball.

When the trailer arrives I plan on insulating the walls and ceilings(most likely compressed fiberglass as it has a higher R value than 1 inch of foam), adding flooring and cabinetry (most likely from Ikea). I don't plan on doing hot water or a bathroom. Any place we stay will have facilities. Cooking can be done on the portable two burner stove we already have.

Arrived today from http://www.adventurerv.net:
1 x Dometic DuoTherm RV Brisk Air II Heat Strip Kit Air Conditioner a/c (3314998.000) = $59.99
1 x Dometic DUO THERM Brisk II RV Compact Air Conditioner 13500 BTU (B57915 3314851.000) = $378.00
1 x WFCO 8700 Series 35 Amp RV Power Center Converter (S119-554722) = $108.87

Insured shipping was only $100 and everything arrived in two days. Pretty incredible.

Arrived today from http://www.homedepot.com:
Magic Chef 4.4 cubic ft mini fridge $179.00

Arrived today from Ebay, http://www.ebay.com/itm/131447452077
50 ft of 16/2 Marine wire. About $20 shipped.

Last edited by nunrleft on Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nunrleft
Teardrop Master

Re: H&H 14x7 V nose conversion in MN

Postby Rainier70 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:22 pm

Wow sounds nice.

I would suggest that you reconsider the fiberglass insulation. Fiberglass's r value is only good for the depth of the material. If you take two inch fiberglass and compress it to one inch you lose half the r value. Add to that problems with it absorbing condensation, (possible mold issues), shifting with the vibration, and glass fibers working their way out the seams with the vibration while traveling..... Bad for breathing and itching.

The blue or pink foam has the higher r value for the thickness. It doesn't absorb any moisture, and it doesn't shift or produce fiberglass dust.
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Rainier70 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:24 pm

BTW I would love to see more pictures of your bikes too.
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby nunrleft » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:34 pm

Thanks for the reply Cindy. My reasoning for the fiberglass (and it may change) is as follows; I haven't taken delivery of the trailer yet but have been told by the dealer that my wall cavities are 2 inches thick. I was told by the manufacturer that the wall cavities are 1 1/2" thick. The insulation value of R11 fiberglass compressed to 1 1/2" is 6.1. The most I'd get from rigid foam is R6 for 1 inch and R9 for 1 1/2". However the cost of 1 inch rigid foam is approximately 5 times that of the fiberglass. Double that again for 1 1/2". Also, motorhomes and travel trailers are insulated with fiberglass. If I was to order the trailer insulated from the factory it would have been done with fiberglass.

I'd be using a sealed vapor barrier between the fiberglass and interior wall sheeting and the fiberglass would be taped at the seams. The sealed barrier prevents any particles from getting into the interior and the taped seams holds the insulation in place. I am a little concerned about it getting wet, but from everything I've read, cargo trailers nowadays are pretty much impervious to moisture inside the walls.

Like I said, I may change my mind, but I'm strongly leaning toward the fiberglass.

Since you asked for them...

The red one on the right

nunrleft
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:36 am

I'm watching you! 8)
McDave
Donating Member

Postby nunrleft » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:55 pm

Ran into the first hickup today. I removed my new power center from the box today and heard stuff rattling around inside. Opened it up and these fell out:

Looks like pieces of the circuit board of the converter. I've already submitted an exchange ticket with adventurerv.net We'll see how it goes.
nunrleft
Teardrop Master

Postby nunrleft » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:25 pm

AdventureRV.net has been awesome so far. They responded to my complaint first thing this morning and sent me a FedEx label to ship the damaged power center back to them. I also received more parts today:

From Ebay: 50 ft of 12/3 Marine grade wiring http://www.ebay.com/usr/aharwoody?_trks ... 7675.l2559 $40 shipped
Water fill hatch http://www.ebay.com/itm/301554013912 About $16 shipped
2 10 gallon tanks, one for freshwater, one for gray water http://www.ebay.com/itm/201082976718?it ... m=&vxp=mtr $73 shipped

nunrleft
Teardrop Master

Postby nunrleft » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:34 pm

Also received my water pump today.

From Ebay:

SHURflow Revolution RV Fresh Water Pump http://www.ebay.com/itm/291361443512?it ... m=&vxp=mtr About $64 shipped.

nunrleft
Teardrop Master

Postby Spotman » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:00 pm

:thumbsup: Progress, progress, progress... moving right along there nunrleft. :twisted:
Can't wait to see some nice build pics and the questions start coming in from you, we all learn from each other.

Bob
2018 Heartland Terry Classic V21
2018 Toyota Tundra DC
Spotman
500 Club

Postby Rainier70 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:25 pm

:thumbsup:
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby nunrleft » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:11 pm

Spotman wrote::thumbsup: Progress, progress, progress... moving right along there nunrleft. :twisted:
Can't wait to see some nice build pics and the questions start coming in from you, we all learn from each other.

Bob

Unfortunately the build pics have to wait since I'm still a couple weeks out on delivery of the trailer. I'm sure I'll have some questions down the road when I actually start the build, but I've been doing tons of research and I'm pretty confident in my a/c - d/c wiring and construction abilities. I'm hoping not to run into issues unscrewing my interior paneling like I've seen in other's posts, but my trailer appears to have less than 1/4" paneling so it wouldn't be that big of loss to rip it out and install a better interior.
nunrleft
Teardrop Master

Postby nunrleft » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:35 pm

More parts came in today.

Sink Faucet http://www.ebay.com/itm/GE-SMARTWATER-F ... 1788299586? About $12 shipped
5 12v electrical switches http://www.ebay.com/itm/220470217609 about $18 shipped
5 ft of water fill hose http://www.ebay.com/itm/331324333911?rmvSB=true About $15 shipped.

I also spoke with my dealer a couple days ago. He told me my trailer was built, but currently in the custom shop of the builder getting my custom additions completed. Hoping for delivery next week.
nunrleft
Teardrop Master

Postby MAC33 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:08 am

nunrleft, Very nice on the parts list. I'm still researching mine. Everyday I get closer and closer. I have to tell you that I will be watching your electrical install like a hawk. :? I am thinking I will have to restructure mine somewhat and could use the input. I had to cancel my previous order of a 16 footer to 14. So excited. :twisted: Looking forward to your posts and pics. :thumbsup: MAC33
MAC33
Gold Donating Member

Postby nunrleft » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:34 pm

Did some local shopping today.

Seating and bed, two click-clack style dark brown futons. These will work well for seating and are short and light enough to stand on end and tie to the wall when hauling the motorcycles. $300 for the pair including tax from Sleep Concepts and Amish Rustics in Brooklyn Park, MN http://www.sleepconcepts.com .

Made the run to Harbor Freight also. Picked up three wheel chocks, glue, spray adhesive, a 30A/15A pigtail, and some electrical and plumbing supplies. The wife also got a bag of stuff. About $150 not including the wife's bag.

My basement and garage are getting full. I need to get the trailer to store this stuff. :?
nunrleft
Teardrop Master

Postby nunrleft » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:42 pm

Another $190 spent today at Menards (big box & lumber store). Picked up a 15x15 bar sink, breakers, fuses, electrical connectors, stress clamps, GFCI outlets, boxes and plates. Also received my replacement power center from http://www.adventurerv.com . It came without the original box, is black (instead of the brown that I ordered) and a big chunk is broken off the cover. I notified them about the issues but I'm not going to return it as the interior components are not broken on this one, but hopefully they can send a new cover if they have one laying around. Even though their prices are really good, their packaging sucks. I won't be ordering anything else from them.

Got my breakers, fuses, and stress clamp in the panel. Pretty much set to wire in...once I get my trailer. I happened to be driving past my dealer today so I stopped in. He's thinking I should be able to pick it up by the end of this week. We'll see. After looking at another trailer on their lot I've decided against the fiberglass insulation. Only about 1 1/4 inch wall space so I'll have to do the rigid foam.

Broken cover:

Breakers and fuses in:

Stress clamps in for my a/c wiring, Wall-Nuts in place for easy connection of my 12v system.
nunrleft
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions