Newbie w/ a 5x10 V-nose

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Newbie w/ a 5x10 V-nose

Postby tucked » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:15 am

Hader wrote:Would you recommend it?

Thank you!

Very much so. I just noticed it's currently about 30% cheaper than what I paid... But I love it. No problems for my wife or I either one.
tucked
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tucked » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:06 pm

Just got back from the best test yet. Week in Moab... boondocking in the middle of BLM land.

In the Colorado Mountains enroute to Moab

Long exposure shot of our camp site.

For this trip I added a Restop commode & a 10x10 popup canopy with sidewalls for privacy (even though where we were you couldn't get much more private). Broke a leveling jack off trying to get it off road, so my next idea (i think i saw somebody on here) is to use 2 high lift jacks mounted at the rear for leveling/off road purposes. Really wanting to do spring over axle conversion and get it lifted in the air with some bigger tires... someday.
tucked
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Padilen » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:59 pm

Nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby Donut757 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:41 pm

Beautiful shot there
Donut757
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:11 am

Very Nice! And yes, you take some great pics. Are those from your phone? Really nice, I wish I was there right now. It's a magical place.
Thanks for the update.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby tucked » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:14 pm

Thank you. No... That shot was a 30 second tripod mounted exposure, using a Canon 60D under a nearly full moon. I have a couple other shots that I used a flashlight to light up the foreground that turned out pretty interesting.
tucked
Teardrop Advisor

Postby beachguy005 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:07 pm

Interesting thread. I've been looking at either a TD or building something as you have and I have a couple of questions. What is the track system you installed for supporting the bed? I'm also concerned with the suspension and ground clearance on the cargo trailers. I've done some dispersed camping from my Dodge Durango on some of the BLM and National Forest and the roads can be a bit rough. How has your handled on the dirt roads?
beachguy005
Teardrop Master

Postby tucked » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:03 pm

beachguy005 wrote:Interesting thread. I've been looking at either a TD or building something as you have and I have a couple of questions. What is the track system you installed for supporting the bed? I'm also concerned with the suspension and ground clearance on the cargo trailers. I've done some dispersed camping from my Dodge Durango on some of the BLM and National Forest and the roads can be a bit rough. How has your handled on the dirt roads?

The track is called E-Track. Very inexpensive, strong and configurable. (They have horizontal and vertical track, long sections, singles, a variety of accessories that lock in). The trailer as configured, has no problems on dirt roads... has been "off road" on some mild trails. My goal is do switch suspension to spring over axle, a wider axle and much larger tires. (I really want 35" tires to match my Jeep so they share a common spare and provide much higher ground clearance). The main issue with the height that it is now is the rear overhang and distance from the Jeep to the trailer axle. I don't want it set up for extreme off-roading... just be able to go over some of the rougher terrain out there. This last trip was our first real dispersed camping trip and I loved it. Cannot wait to be back.
tucked
Teardrop Advisor

Postby beachguy005 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:24 am

Thanks for the track info. I'm curious about what you mean by this point.
"The main issue with the height that it is now is the rear overhang and distance from the Jeep to the trailer axle."
beachguy005
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:07 am

They want to nose in or taildrag when your going over un-even terrain. If you raise the trailer frame you gain clearance when jeep front goes up and trailer front goes down, and visa versa ....

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby tucked » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:30 am

Beachguy...McDave got it right. Dirt roads are fine... Off-road it sits too low. The overhang drug several times but I took it places i should definitely not have been with that trailer. I had the scissor jacks mounted at the rear for leveling and drug them both off. Want to use hi lift jacks mounted to the rear sides now that will not reduce clearance at all but will be able to level easily.

I'm not trying to build it to tackle tough trails but want to make it trail worthy.
tucked
Teardrop Advisor

Postby beachguy005 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:14 pm

Thanks guys, I understand the issues. Thanks for clearing it up. In getting bit more flexibility, I've been looking at TDs like the Hiker Trailer units. Any feedback on them would be welcome, but I don't want to hijack your thread.
beachguy005
Teardrop Master

Postby tucked » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:59 pm

I don't know much about them but they are sharp looking. What I have now is the smallest I could go personally due to health problems with my wife. Gaining a little extra clearance with an axle flip and larger tires will provide the clearance and light off-roadability I'm looking for while keeping costs down.
tucked
Teardrop Advisor

Postby arbakken » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:11 pm

If you don't mind sharing, where'd you camp near Moab? Last time I went down there I ended up going into the LaSalles
arbakken
Teardrop Builder

Postby tucked » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:21 pm

arbakken wrote:If you don't mind sharing, where'd you camp near Moab? Last time I went down there I ended up going into the LaSalles

Further from town that I wanted but loved the cove in the rock that we had. Off Needles Overlook Road. Exact coordinates were as follows

38.194833 -109.478426
tucked
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions