7 x 14 Trail Boss

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: 7 x 14 Trail Boss

Postby JRAnt74 » Thu May 31, 2018 5:08 pm

Stormcrow,
That's one sweet little trailer ya built for your sprayer! Gives me an idea or three for my busted out frame on the little dump trailer i have for my mower. Also looks like a miniature version of the utility trailer I'm currently building for myself!
JRAnt74
Teardrop Builder

Postby Stormcrow » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:45 am

JRAnt74 wrote:Stormcrow,
That's one sweet little trailer ya built for your sprayer! Gives me an idea or three for my busted out frame on the little dump trailer i have for my mower. Also looks like a miniature version of the utility trailer I'm currently building for myself!

Thanks! A nice flat-bed trailer for car-hauling is on the list (way down the list) of things I’d like to either make or acquire.

Finally installed the hatch set-up. Put the butyl tape in the fridge, thanks Hank! You posted that tip on another thread and I think it really helped out. I can see where that stuff would get pretty gummy, especially when it’s 100+ out. Was worried about gaps and water intrusion, but after cutting the excess that squished out I was surprised that it still kept coming out, quite a while after initial install. Pretty sure there’s plenty in there to water-proof. I also put some underneath the carriage bolt heads, hopefully that works. Still need to clean some of the sticky residue from the old Harley sticker.
Image20180605_184546

Image20180605_184555

Also added this feature – cut a large chain link in half and welded them to the frame
Image20180602_104257

The distance corner to corner is just about perfect for hanging a hammock. :)
Image20180602_104315
Todd.

7x14 Trail Boss: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=64755
Stormcrow
Teardrop Builder

Postby Stormcrow » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:43 pm

Well…drug the trailer down to Mexico for an extended weekend and put the A/C unit to the test. Happy to report that everything went smoothly. It wasn’t too horribly hot, maybe 90-ish with some humidity. Didn’t really need to use the A/C as much as I thought I would. Hanging out in/around the campsite during the day there wasn’t much need as the ocean breeze felt pretty good in the shade. It was really nice to have in the morning, though. At sunrise that box started to heat up. Made sleeping in a couple extra hours enjoyable. Thought about sleeping with the ramp down and door open, but felt more comfortable, security-wise, with the doors all locked up tight.

Here it is all set up. I just ran an extension cord into the trailer through the hole where the old double-sided outlet was. I made a temporary removable patch-panel for traveling/storage.
Image20180607_192843

The hammock was fantastic in there. Back of the trailer faced south towards the ocean, so inside was always in the shade. With the ramp down and side door open a nice breeze flowed through. Naps happen.
Image20180608_114834

Night-time set-up. I kept the A/C box with the foam inserts for traveling and used it as a nightstand. Also took advantage of the shore power and extension cord for use with the air mattress and some LED rope lights, held up with a few magnetic hooks.
Image20180607_192940

Tried the Porta Potti out for the first time. Worked great, and didn’t stink up the trailer. At least nothing that I noticed over the sunblock, sweat, and ocean salt I brought into the equation.

My buddy tagged along with and crashed in a tent. He said it was actually a little chilly at night, but in the morning it heated up a bit. Here’s our site
Image20180610_112805

I think my next logical step on the trailer is to address the flooring. I’ve Googled multiple variations of “best cargo trailer floor” searches and read a bunch of threads from this site, to moto-cross, to drag car sites talking about what works best. A lot of opinions out there and think I’m going to go with some sort of epoxy/paint type coating with the flakes for added traction. I like the idea of having something oil/gas resistant for the quads and also ease of clean-up for anything else. Preparation seems to be key to success for those applications so thinking of throwing down a new layer of plywood over the original, since it’s already oil-stained in several spots. Using elevator bolts as the primary attachment method with some liquid nails thrown in for good measure to bond the two together, prevent squeeks and such? It looks like the trailer framework was built on top of the deck, so simply removal/replacement would be problematic/impractical. The ramp plywood is easily accessible, so replacing that with new shouldn’t be too hard. Hopefully. And since I’m in there I might as well work out a bracketry solution for a spare tire carrier for the outside of the ramp door. Should have plenty of clearance for the spare with the ramp down since I put the axle spring-over kits in.
Todd.

7x14 Trail Boss: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=64755
Stormcrow
Teardrop Builder

Postby McDave » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:04 pm

That looks like a place we used to go in the early 80's called Puerto Escalero. Good times. What happened in Mexico stayed in Mexico. Glad you are getting a chance to camp with it. For little toy haulers they work pretty darn good. I use a air mattress as well. I love it. Sleep better than at home.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:10 pm

Stormcrow, Howdy;

Maybe it's me just being an old fart, but I kept hearing the theme for
"The Rockford Files" bumpin' around in my head while I was remembering
what it's like to be on a beach. Was raised near one and until 1995 never
lived more than an hours drive from one ... I miss the beach (not ex #1,
3 nor 2 & 4 spit!).

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Iconfabul8 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:08 am

hankaye wrote:Stormcrow, Howdy;

3 nor 2 & 4 spit!).

hank
Somehow I missed this, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby hankaye » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:45 am

Iconfabul8, Howdy;

Iconfabul8 wrote:
hankaye wrote:Stormcrow, Howdy;

3 nor 2 & 4 spit!).

hank
Somehow I missed this, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Having lived in Utah for a few years I want to clarify, each was a separate event, not all at the same time ... ;)
:lol: :lol:

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions