plunging on another build

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: plunging on another build

Postby Wolfscout » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:18 am

msnglinc, I came home the long way pulling that trailer with the Explorer. I the trip was about 52 miles as I went backroads out so I could zip home for about 28 miles on the interstate.
I had pulled several heavier items with my Explorer so I had helper springs and other items previously installed. I didn't have any issues getting up to the speed limit on back roads or interstate. I did notice some lagging pulling up a particularly steep section. But it's to be expected with this trailer.
Would I do it again? in a minute. I don't see the concern.

By the way, my Explorer is a '91, with very low serial number.
Larry Fulmer, Jr.

2016 8X20 Homestead Patriot CTC
CTC 2

'90 6x12 Wells Cargo Trailer Conversion
my 1st build= CTC 1 FB album history.
Wolfscout
500 Club

Postby Wolfscout » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:22 am

flboy wrote:Larry, on the window installs, did you have to cut through the wall studs? Did you weld in frames for the windows? I am looking for some details as I am fixing to do the same on my build. I bought a welder.. so I will probably go that route. Thanks

I have two 24x36 windows going on the curb side. I'll have to cut one stud for each window.
My plan is to install some 2x4s screwed into the walls for window support top, bottom and one side. I think the stud between the windows will catch the edges of both windows and not need reinforcing. I've already seen how mine's framed so I think the curb side is framed the same way. I'll probably be on that tomorrow if things go well.
Larry Fulmer, Jr.

CTC 2

Wolfscout
500 Club

Postby flboy » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:25 am

Thanks for your reply on the windows. On your Explorer pulling the trailer. . Regardless of the springs, a weight distribution hitch and anti sway kit will make a world of difference on the highway and in cross winds. I am doing that with mine and I am pulling with an F150 and 5l V8.
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby msnglinc » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:46 pm

Wolfscout wrote:msnglinc, I came home the long way pulling that trailer with the Explorer. I the trip was about 52 miles as I went backroads out so I could zip home for about 28 miles on the interstate.
I had pulled several heavier items with my Explorer so I had helper springs and other items previously installed. I didn't have any issues getting up to the speed limit on back roads or interstate. I did notice some lagging pulling up a particularly steep section. But it's to be expected with this trailer.
Would I do it again? in a minute. I don't see the concern.

By the way, my Explorer is a '91, with very low serial number.
Larry, Power was not my issue. I've added several pieces of speed equipment, like headers, catback exhaust, intake spacer and cold air kit and a shift kit. I also pulled a much heavier horse trailer without issues. My concern was when being passed by a semi. It pushed me and the trailer over as it approached and then sucked it over toward the larger vehicle as it passed by. Several times it pulled me across the white line. I was supposed to pull it to Bristol TN for a race weekend and ended up borrowing a truck. I had a load lever hitch installed just for good measure but it was still an issue. There are differences between your body style and suspension and my 98 so maybe that's the difference. Glad it works for you. I'll stick to my F250 Super Duty for my 26 footer.

PS. What's the significance of the low serial number on your Explorer?
7 x 26 Cargo Craft V Nose
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=63350
msnglinc
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Wolfscout » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:19 pm

it was one of the first ones when they first came out
Larry Fulmer, Jr.

CTC 2

Wolfscout
500 Club

Postby flboy » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:50 pm

flboy wrote:Thanks for your reply on the windows. On your Explorer pulling the trailer. . Regardless of the springs, a weight distribution hitch and anti sway kit will make a world of difference on the highway and in cross winds. I am doing that with mine and I am pulling with an F150 and 5l V8.

Larry, Harbor Freight has the Weight Distributing hitch on Sale for $209 and you can take another 20% off that with a coupon code #35064939. Also, the Anti-sway kit is on sale for $39.00. You can get the whole thing shipped to your house for $206.00. That is a steal of a deal. I am picking both up this weekend.
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wolfscout » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:08 am

I already have a swaybay kit... just need to purchase another trailer end ball for moving it from one vehicle to another.

Yeah I've been considering a weight distribution hitch as well. Soon perhaps.
Larry Fulmer, Jr.

CTC 2

Wolfscout
500 Club

Postby flboy » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:27 pm

Larry, How did you do on the windows installation? I am anxious to see the pics. I have to start cutting holes on my brand new CTC also soon... it always make me nervious. :NC
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Maximus » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:42 pm

Larry, I can't imagine your 91 Explorer pulling that trailer after it's completed... helper springs or not. The tranny wouldn't last one summer. That vehicle might tow a horse trailer locally on flat country roads with no issues, but take your completed CT on a camping trip in the mountains with plenty of grades to overcome... no thanks. I would bet money you couldn't get your CT up to 65 mph on even the slightest incline, or flat ground for that matter, without putting a lot of strain on your vehicle. Now throw a cross-wind into the mix... huge trailer, small tow vehicle. That's not a white knuckle trip I want to go on. Camping is supposed to be fun and enjoyable. My GMC Yukon has plenty of engine power, the problem is the gear ratio. Higher gears will make the uphill climbs easier on my TV. Looking into changing to 411's. Anyone have any experience with changing gears?
Some say a dark side will lead to no good... I say, I certainly hope so. Stay thirsty my friends.
Maximus
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Wolfscout » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:43 pm

flboy wrote:Larry, How did you do on the windows installation? I am anxious to see the pics. I have to start cutting holes on my brand new CTC also soon... it always make me nervious. :NC

I've only put in two of my four windows so far. I put in the two 12x18s on the road side and the one exhaust fan.

I am unsure about where exactly I want the location of the other two windows. 24"x36"

We had a very heavy storm last night. There were no leaks in the cuts I made or the ones the factory made with the roof fan and AC. So... so far so good.
Larry Fulmer, Jr.

CTC 2

Wolfscout
500 Club

Postby flboy » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:30 pm

Good to hear you made some progress. :-)
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wolfscout » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:14 pm

I've gotten a few more things done. see the pictures.
Attachments
100_2709.JPG
two 24"x36" windows installed with wood and aluminum framing.
100_2709.JPG (84.55 KiB) Viewed 4516 times
100_2708.JPG
bathroom area with two sets of curtains so they can be pushed to the side to allow Golf cart in.
100_2708.JPG (76.94 KiB) Viewed 4516 times
100_2706.JPG
wife's 4 cabinets installed with her ...um.. .personal touch.
100_2706.JPG (89.52 KiB) Viewed 4516 times
Larry Fulmer, Jr.

CTC 2

Wolfscout
500 Club

Postby flboy » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:23 pm

Wow. You got a.lot done. Did you insulate the walls already? What type of insulation did you use. I have to pick up 18 4*8ft sheets of R5 foam type for this weekend. It should be enough for all walls, ramp door and ceiling.
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wolfscout » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:09 am

I have been insulating as I go installing electrical and window. I've not gotten my ceiling insulation and ceiling panels yet. Can't decide what I want to use. I'm considering doubling some Lowe's R4 on the ceiling when I do though.
Larry Fulmer, Jr.

CTC 2

Wolfscout
500 Club

Postby flboy » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:04 am

Wolfscout wrote:I have been insulating as I go installing electrical and window. I've not gotten my ceiling insulation and ceiling panels yet. Can't decide what I want to use. I'm considering doubling some Lowe's R4 on the ceiling when I do though.

I think I am going to double insulate the roof to get to R10. I am going to lay R5 between the existing roof beams that are an inch deep, and then I am going to add 1 inch furring strips to screw the ceiling panels into. I will lay another inch of the same foam in between the furring strips. A lot of my wire runs will be in hidden the ceiling so the furring strips will help with that as well.

I have decided to use luan plywood for the ceiling and then paint it in a gloss white. I did that in my last CTC build and it worked well.

Keep up the good work. I'll hopefully make some progress this weekend mounting tanks and taking down the plywood for insulation and etc. I also have a few window holes to cut.
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions