plunging on another build

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: plunging on another build

Postby Wolfscout » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:51 am

I got a call late yesterday. My Trailer is supposed to get there today. I'm ready to get started on it; :twisted: besides the wife is ready to get all the camper items I've been gathering out of the living room and 2nd bathroom.
Larry Fulmer, Jr.

2016 8X20 Homestead Patriot CTC
CTC 2

'90 6x12 Wells Cargo Trailer Conversion
my 1st build= CTC 1 FB album history.
Wolfscout
500 Club

Postby aggie79 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:40 am

Wolfscout wrote:I got a call late yesterday. My Trailer is supposed to get there today. I'm ready to get started on it; :twisted: besides the wife is ready to get all the camper items I've been gathering out of the living room and 2nd bathroom.

:thumbsup: :applause: :thumbsup:
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby flboy » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:18 am

Looking forward to pics!
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wolfscout » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:11 am

Picked up my trailer friday.
Attachments
100_2698.JPG
really liking the 2 RV doors
100_2698.JPG (107.34 KiB) Viewed 4653 times
100_2699.JPG
dealer installed spare tire mount.
100_2699.JPG (58.34 KiB) Viewed 4653 times
Larry Fulmer, Jr.

CTC 2

Wolfscout
500 Club

Postby flboy » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:57 am

Very nice. Now the fun can start! Enjoy.
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby chiefairwrench » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:03 am

Wow that looks awesome and alot of room :shock:
chiefairwrench
Teardrop Master

Postby Maximus » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:35 am

That's ginormous. Curious...What is your TV ??

You have a lot of work on your hands. I just started tearing into my trailer over the weekend. Getting ready for windows and insulation. I made a list of parts I need. That's a big list and it keeps growing. Yours must be a really big list. Good luck. keep the pics coming.
Some say a dark side will lead to no good... I say, I certainly hope so. Stay thirsty my friends.
Maximus
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Wolfscout » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:04 pm

My TV is either '91 Ford Explorer or if it's heaver I use the Wife's Toyota Tacoma . The tacoma has a max of 6500. Explorer is 5000.
Either one we probably won't be at the limit of either vehicle.

Luckily I have been buying up parts and filling my lists for about 2 years. The only thing I don't have is the toilet and I might not even put one in as the portapotty serves us well enough.
Larry Fulmer, Jr.

CTC 2

Wolfscout
500 Club

Postby m.colley » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:40 pm

Looks Good Larry, its the same size as I had originally started looking out before going with my 7x16.

Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club

Postby Wolfscout » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:17 am

m.colley wrote:Looks Good Larry, its the same size as I had originally started looking out before going with my 7x16.

Martin

I originally was looking for a 7x16, but when I ran across this 8x20, for the price difference I couldn't let it go. LOL
I'm glad I pulled the trigger on this one though. I've been inside working on some insulation and wiring up 12v lights and 110 lights & receptacles, all the tools and supplies laying around and nothing's really been in the way. They extra room has been more than nice so far. We were too cramped in our 6x12 Plus it didn't have the head room. I'm putting in insulation as I do the wiring. Makes it easier. Insulation is going to be more expensive than I thought. AC wired up yesterday and works great. All my 12v lights and a couple cig lighters to charge the phones or something else when needed are also working great.
Larry Fulmer, Jr.

CTC 2

Wolfscout
500 Club

Postby m.colley » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:18 pm

Wolfscout wrote:
m.colley wrote:Looks Good Larry, its the same size as I had originally started looking out before going with my 7x16.

Martin

I originally was looking for a 7x16, but when I ran across this 8x20, for the price difference I couldn't let it go. LOL
I'm glad I pulled the trigger on this one though. I've been inside working on some insulation and wiring up 12v lights and 110 lights & receptacles, all the tools and supplies laying around and nothing's really been in the way. They extra room has been more than nice so far. We were too cramped in our 6x12 Plus it didn't have the head room. I'm putting in insulation as I do the wiring. Makes it easier. Insulation is going to be more expensive than I thought. AC wired up yesterday and works great. All my 12v lights and a couple cig lighters to charge the phones or something else when needed are also working great.

I don't blame you on making that decision. When I first started considering buying and converting a CT I was looking at a 8.5x20 on the dealers lot I bought thru. It was a new 2014 model that they had ordered and came with alot of upgrades that I didn't need or want to pay for. The price was within a couple hundred of what I paid for my 7x16. The deciding factor was it had a slant V-Nose and I wasn't sure that my current TV would pull it once built out without struggling and I'm not ready to replace it just yet.
I'm in the interior painting phase now, then I'll be finishing out my ceiling.

Good luck on your build, I'll keep checking in on you.

Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club

Postby msnglinc » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:29 pm

Wolfscout wrote:My TV is either '91 Ford Explorer or if it's heaver I use the Wife's Toyota Tacoma . The tacoma has a max of 6500. Explorer is 5000.
Either one we probably won't be at the limit of either vehicle.

Luckily I have been buying up parts and filling my lists for about 2 years. The only thing I don't have is the toilet and I might not even put one in as the portapotty serves us well enough.
The Explorer isn't going to pull that worth a crap. I have a 98 with the V8, tow package and brake controller and I tried to pull a lightweight 25ft camper. Only had to go about 50 miles on the interstate and it was a white knuckle ride. I'm not one to be afraid of trailers either and I hated it. Wouldn't hook back up to it. Its not the weight as I have pulled a loaded 2 horse trailer without an issue at all. The trailer has way to much sail area and it's gonna move you around something awful. The wheelbase, light weight and narrow track of the explorer will work against you. Other than that, Nice trailer!
7 x 26 Cargo Craft V Nose
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=63350
msnglinc
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Wolfscout » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:09 am

m.colley wrote:
Wolfscout wrote:

Martin

I don't blame you on making that decision. When I first started considering buying and converting a CT I was looking at a 8.5x20 on the dealers lot I bought thru. It was a new 2014 model that they had ordered and came with alot of upgrades that I didn't need or want to pay for. The price was within a couple hundred of what I paid for my 7x16. The deciding factor was it had a slant V-Nose and I wasn't sure that my current TV would pull it once built out without struggling and I'm not ready to replace it just yet.
I'm in the interior painting phase now, then I'll be finishing out my ceiling.

Good luck on your build, I'll keep checking in on you.

Martin

I think I made the right call on it. I'm hoping to be at a primer painting stage by Saturday. I put two 12x18 windows and my kitchen ezhaust fan in this AM.
They look ok and I did the nozzle test to see if they leak. No leaks with just the rope weatherstripping. so I'm happy.
I plan to do the ceiling insulation and paneling last. Might want to add a few more receptacles too for when I have inshore power hooked up.
Battery planning, wiring and install is done for now.
Larry Fulmer, Jr.

CTC 2

Wolfscout
500 Club

Postby flboy » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:15 am

Larry, on the window installs, did you have to cut through the wall studs? Did you weld in frames for the windows? I am looking for some details as I am fixing to do the same on my build. I bought a welder.. so I will probably go that route. Thanks
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby flboy » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:15 am

Larry, on the window installs, did you have to cut through the wall studs? Did you weld in frames for the windows? I am looking for some details as I am fixing to do the same on my build. I bought a welder.. so I will probably go that route. Thanks
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions