7x16 Conversion from Georgia

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: 7x16 Conversion from Georgia

Postby m.colley » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:37 pm

chiefairwrench wrote:That made mine look like I slapped it together great job :applause: Looks awesome

Thanks Chief for the kind words. You've done a great job on yours as well, I've gotten alot of inspiration and ideas from your build as well as from others here on the forum.

Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club

Postby Augie Dog » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:36 pm

I am stalking everyone on here before I start my CT build! 8) Lots of great ideas and talent. I have two questions for you (1) Where did you purchase your CT (2) Regarding your A/C what are your thoughts on the portable floor A/C units that can cool,dehumidify and heat? It requires a window or some form of outside access. My build is for camping only! I do not intend to use it as a toy hauler. I have been the RV route and after spending $20K for a 25 ft. TT the roof rotted out and it was no longer usable. I'm thinking 8.5 wide x 18 ft. long. with barn doors. I will build a false wall in back approximately 1 1/2 ft. deep to use as storage. Raised bed in back full flush rv style toilet somewhere in front plumbed to a portable black tank under left front side of CT. Just some basic thought now but like I said in beginning I am storing ideas!! Your build looks good also very impressive.
Augie Dog
Teardrop Builder

Postby m.colley » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:59 pm

Augie Dog wrote:I am stalking everyone on here before I start my CT build! 8) Lots of great ideas and talent. I have two questions for you (1) Where did you purchase your CT (2) Regarding your A/C what are your thoughts on the portable floor A/C units that can cool,dehumidify and heat? It requires a window or some form of outside access. My build is for camping only! I do not intend to use it as a toy hauler. I have been the RV route and after spending $20K for a 25 ft. TT the roof rotted out and it was no longer usable. I'm thinking 8.5 wide x 18 ft. long. with barn doors. I will build a false wall in back approximately 1 1/2 ft. deep to use as storage. Raised bed in back full flush rv style toilet somewhere in front plumbed to a portable black tank under left front side of CT. Just some basic thought now but like I said in beginning I am storing ideas!! Your build looks good also very impressive.

Hey Augie,
I bought my trailer thru a local dealer here named Chattahoochee Trailers. Their a great bunch of people. The trailer itself was built by Cynergy Cargo in Douglasville, Ga. I bought local because they have a local shop, stand behind and will fix warranty items here and for what I paid I couldn't have driven the 6 hour round trip drive and bought it any cheaper. I checked with several supposed "factory direct" people and priced my exact trailer and the difference was $150.00, and I'd still had to take a day off work and drive 6 hours, ohh and if I had warranty issues take it back to the factory for repairs. The model I had built already came with quite a few upgrades. I bought the ADVANCED model in a 7x16.

I really wanted to look at a Arising Industries model but I couldn't find a local dealer closer than 100 miles away. To me Cynergy was the next best one and I've looked at all the major brands built out of South Georgia.

The portable AC units have very mixed reviews, most owners give them a thumbs down. Its the way their designed that handicap them. With you considering doing barn style doors and the false wall I'd seriously consider a window AC mounted in one of the doors but that's just my opinion. If you want a great example look at Mtn Don's build.

Martin

PS, your experience with your TT was the exact reason I decided to build my own.
m.colley
The 300 Club

Postby Augie Dog » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:05 pm

Thanks for the reply Martin. I will look into Synergy. My tent camping trailer is a Diamond Cargo but probably comes out of the same factory as yours. Lol Funny you mentioned the barn doors and my false wall. I was thinking before I read your reply I could install a window unit in the false wall and that would solve my A/C issue. Glad to know about the portable units have not seen any reviews on them yet. Another idea I had was I really want interior space for those days it's not nice enough to be outside. I am visualizing a ramp door and use it as a bump out bunk. In the down position I would engineer stabilizer legs for supporting the ramp. The bed would be on some type of a roller system capable of moving onto the ramp in the down position. Here is the part I'm trying to figure out. I need to design a "tent" or method to enclose the bed area. This would open up the inside of the trailer to one big huge room. Sounds good in my head but I need to get it out! :thinking: :thinking: If I can come up with a design like this I could go to a shorter CT and save some money.
Augie Dog
Teardrop Builder

Postby m.colley » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:50 pm

Augie Dog wrote:Thanks for the reply Martin. I will look into Synergy. My tent camping trailer is a Diamond Cargo but probably comes out of the same factory as yours. Lol Funny you mentioned the barn doors and my false wall. I was thinking before I read your reply I could install a window unit in the false wall and that would solve my A/C issue. Glad to know about the portable units have not seen any reviews on them yet.

Hey Augie,
Check out the electrical section for a few threads about the portable ac's. Here's a link that gives several opinions on them, granted its spread out over multiple pages viewtopic.php?f=30&t=44561.

Diamond and Cynergy are two different companies but their built within 30 miles or so of each other. I actually took a tour thru several plants prior to my purchase compliments of my local dealer. Some are real similar in build others not quite so much.

Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club

Postby EZDog » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:04 pm

Augie Dog wrote:Thanks for the reply Martin. I will look into Synergy. My tent camping trailer is a Diamond Cargo but probably comes out of the same factory as yours. Lol Funny you mentioned the barn doors and my false wall. I was thinking before I read your reply I could install a window unit in the false wall and that would solve my A/C issue. Glad to know about the portable units have not seen any reviews on them yet. Another idea I had was I really want interior space for those days it's not nice enough to be outside. I am visualizing a ramp door and use it as a bump out bunk. In the down position I would engineer stabilizer legs for supporting the ramp. The bed would be on some type of a roller system capable of moving onto the ramp in the down position. Here is the part I'm trying to figure out. I need to design a "tent" or method to enclose the bed area. This would open up the inside of the trailer to one big huge room. Sounds good in my head but I need to get it out! :thinking: :thinking: If I can come up with a design like this I could go to a shorter CT and save some money.

Mine is a Cynergy too.
I picked it up in Douglas Georgia down the street from the factory from another distributor there but not before accidentally going into Cynergy directly and trying to get it from them. The whole thing was a little confusing really at the time and they were none too friendly at the factory about it too.
Mine came from MaxxCargo and they were OK to deal with in general but they had not done the things we agreed to before I showed up there for pickup and I had to wait while they tried to get things together for me.
Overall it is a decent trailer but the quality of materials and attention to detail during manufacture are clearly not real high on the list of things that they do.
Cranking them out as fast as possible seems to be the only real goal they have there.
But they are cheap to buy too and worth it overall I think.

If you can find a way to use a Window AC for around $100 I think you will be in the game. Room units just do not do the job in my experience for several reasons and they are pricey too. RoofTop models are great and even more expensive and add a lot of height that I am not interested in hauling around myself,YMMV as they say!

Try to Have Fun with it all above anything else too!
EZDog
Teardrop Master

Postby flboy » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:10 pm

Hi Martin. I hope all is well. Didn't you say you had 4 days off in a row to work on your CTC? How did that go? Did you settle on what you are going to do about your AC?
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby m.colley » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:56 pm

flboy wrote:Hi Martin. I hope all is well. Didn't you say you had 4 days off in a row to work on your CTC? How did that go? Did you settle on what you are going to do about your AC?

Hey Don,
Yes I had four days off in a row and worked on the trailer all day Thursday and Friday, a little on Saturday afternoon and again a little on Sunday. The wife and I got up Saturday morning and took the Roadking out for awhile, stopped for breakfast and did a 100 mile loop. The trailer is coming along. I got all of my trim hung with the exception of a couple of little ceiling strips that hide the edge seams, I got all of my touch-up paint done. All of my LED's are hung and working. I started on my plumbing tonight and should have it finished before the weekend if my faucet gets here, if not that will be all I'll lack.

I laid out my bed design and got my welder out, now its just time to practice a little and I'll be starting on it and the AC framing. Yes I finally decided on the AC. A window AC will be in the ramp similar to your first build but higher up and to the left side of the ramp. I'll build a door similar to yours as well.

Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club

Postby flboy » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:01 am

Sounds very nice. I look forward to seeing some pics. I bought a cheap Flux welder to weld up my loft bed and generator box when I build them. I have never welded anything in my life, so this should be interesting. Never too old to learn something new. :-) Good luck on the plumbing this week. Sounds like the finish line is in sight for you. Way to go!

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby McDave » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:08 am

@ flboy,
It's all about penetration. No, really. Gotta use enough amps to penetrate and enough rod to make a puddle and keep it moving. It just sounds dirty. Once you try it, you'll see what I mean.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:49 am

flboy, Howdy;

Awhile back I was thinking about getting a small 115 wielder and ran across this;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzSNpsLT40Q
to see about learning something about "How To"...
Thought I'd pass it along. Best of luck to ya .

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby lrrowe » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:25 am

flboy wrote:Sounds very nice. I look forward to seeing some pics. I bought a cheap Flux welder to weld up my loft bed and generator box when I build them. I have never welded anything in my life, so this should be interesting. Never too old to learn something new. :-) Good luck on the plumbing this week. Sounds like the finish line is in sight for you. Way to go!

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

I am learning also. Bought a used (brand new actually) 90 amp unit to learn on. If I am successful, I have my eyes on some 170-190 amp units.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby m.colley » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:41 pm

McDave wrote:@ flboy,
It's all about penetration. No, really. Gotta use enough amps to penetrate and enough rod to make a puddle and keep it moving. It just sounds dirty. Once you try it, you'll see what I mean.

McDave

Dave is right, once you get your wire speed and voltage right, its a piece of cake. I've welded off and on for years. I just haven't picked up a mig gun in 5 years or so so I'm rusty. Not to mention that I moved 4 years ago and my shop now doesn't have enough power to run my welder sooooo I'm using my generator to run my welder. I had to drive a 8ft ground rod in the ground for the generator. Its all good though, atleast now I can run anything I need in my shop.

Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club

Postby McDave » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:09 pm

Hey Martin,
If you get a chance to watch the vids that hank posted, and just let them keep coming on, there is some great refresher info on speed, angle,push/pull etc.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby m.colley » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:15 pm

hankaye wrote:flboy, Howdy;

Awhile back I was thinking about getting a small 115 wielder and ran across this;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzSNpsLT40Q
to see about learning something about "How To"...
Thought I'd pass it along. Best of luck to ya .

hank

Thanks Hank for the link. I've watched it a couple of times along with a few other videos on YouTube. Eventually I'll remember everything I use to do, it'll just take time.

Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions