7x16 Conversion from Georgia

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: 7x16 Conversion from Georgia

Postby flboy » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:48 pm

m.colley wrote:They wife and I are heading out Wednesday morning to a State Park right up the road. It'll give me a chance to see how she likes the CTC.

Once I get back I have a wiring problem to fix. Its nothing with anything I did, its factory wiring. I have a dead short in the running/parking lights that is blowing the fuse in my TV. The part that sucks is now I have to take down my upper trim along the ceiling. I'm not even worried about finding it even though I know I will. I plan on re-running that circuit with new wire instead of trying to fix their mistake. They love using those damn scotch lock splice connectors. I'll make up my own pigtail connectors.

Martin

I hope your camping went well and you enjoyed the CTC. Anxious to hear about it. :thumbsup:

I certainly understand your frustration with the trailer factory wiring.... I'd do exactly what you are doing. Cut their wires off from the power and just run new ones. I fixed a few of the connections I my trailer while the walls were apart. Very sloppy work..
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby McDave » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:32 am

Scotch locks will get ya home, but that's about it. Almost guaranteed to fail at the worst possible time. It won't be in the driveway. But yeah, when you're pulling down the highway at night, you know it will be the running lights that go.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby m.colley » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:21 am

McDave wrote:Well, it's good to get the ol' Lady's input and seal of approval on these things. I know if it wasn't for her, I probably wouldn't have done all this. I was doin' fine with a change of clothes and a wad of cash in the saddle bags, but she requires a little more civilized travel these days. You know what I mean.
Good Luck and Enjoy!

McDave

Yes I do and same here. I was completely happy with my duffel bag full of the bare necessities and a change of clothes.

Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club

Postby m.colley » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:24 pm

Made it here to FDR State park around noon today. Originally we were gonna stay until Saturday because they didn't have a spot open for Sat. night. Got to the park office to check in and asked about Sat. night and the ranger found us a spot without moving. We'RE right next to the lake, sandwiched in between a couple of high dollar motor homes. The rain let me get setup before it started and is now outta here. I'lol post some pics once we get back.

Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club

Postby flboy » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:35 pm

I hope you have a great time Martin! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby McDave » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:19 pm

Wow. That sounds great. I just googled that park. That looks real nice.
Snowing here. 22f, wind at 30, gust 50. Not quite as nice, but not boring...
Enjoy!

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby m.colley » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:26 pm

McDave wrote:Wow. That sounds great. I just googled that park. That looks real nice.
Snowing here. 22f, wind at 30, gust 50. Not quite as nice, but not boring...
Enjoy!

McDave

It is a beautiful place Dave. This whole area was FDR's home away from home after he was diagnosed with polio. The CCC built most of it. Pic to come soon.

Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club

Postby m.colley » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:38 pm

Well we made it home around noon today. It rained Wednesday off and on, then cleared up that evening. Thursday and Friday were beautiful weather. Saturday was cloudy for most the day, it started drizzling late Saturday afternoon. The rain really started again that evening so we retreated to the CTC where it was warm and dry. I listened to the SEC championship game by streaming it from Tune In radio. This morning while coffee was getting ready I started breaking camp. We had actually planned on staying until mid afternoon but with the rain coming down I wanted to get out before it got worse. The wife made breakfast inside while I got things broke down. She got everything taken care of inside the CTC while I loaded up gear outside.

Here's a couple of pic's.
We had a beautiful spot for our trip. When we first got there the park was pretty empty. I found out later due to the "open fire ban", alot of people had canceled their reservations. The park is broke up into four classes of sites, Yellow sites are 40', red sites are 25', white are 15' and then tent only sites.
The site we chose was a "red" site and backed up to Lake Delanor a 15 acre hand dug lake.
This was the first trip in the CTC for both the wife and our 8month old Lab/Boxer mix. It ended up being a great trip. The wife and I had a chance to relax, spend some "US" time together and give the CTC a good once over. Our dog did great for his first camping trip.

We saw several CTC type trailers. One converted gooseneck horse trailer, a 28' cargo conversion that looked like a "work & play" style toy hauler, and a small 6x10.
We had a great time and the trailer did what I had hoped it would do. It kept us warm and dry during the cold wet weather. It gave us a place to keep our stuff secure while we weren't at camp. Next time I'm taking the fishing rods and canoe. Yes the wife and I have started a list of things we'd like to do as well as things we need to buy but none of it is major stuff.

Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club

Postby Donut757 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:02 pm

Looks amazing. Glad the trip went well, minus the rain.
Donut757
Teardrop Master

Postby flboy » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:03 am

Hi Martin... We're looking at going camping in ONF Jan 26-29.. Actually may be there after dark on 1/25.. Any chance you can make it down for all or part of that?
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby flboy » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:40 pm

Hi Martin. I hope all is well and Happy 2017. Just wanted to let you we are still planning Ocala NF late next week and weekend. If you can escape that would be nice. I certainly understand if you can't. Life gets busy and jobs are demanding. Take care.
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby m.colley » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:45 pm

Since hunting season is over for us I finally got around to finding the source of my "no parking lights/ fuse blowing culprit". After pulling down the trim I used to create the wiring channel at the roof/wall intersection I started disconnecting the upper run/parking lights one at a time, verifying that each one worked when directly connected to a 12v source. It took longer to find then I anticipated but I finally found it. My 7x16 has dual axles and has lights on the flat surface of the fender. When applying 12v to the light and wire as run from the factory it was arching. Bypassing the wiring and going straight to the light there was no arc. Reinstalling all the lights but that one and powering it from the TV run/park light circuit I now have have running/parking lights.

Now I just need to decide how I'm gonna rerun that wire without pulling down any of my interior panels. I may just run a new wire back to another spot that gives me access to the master run thru the floor. Now just to run that wire and reinstall the trim. Then I can get started on the bed I've been putting off.

Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club

Postby flboy » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:11 pm

Good luck with the wiring Martin. I am sure that is frustrating. You'll like having that Permanent bed. I really enjoyed mine the last two trips.
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby m.colley » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:56 pm

Well after much procrastinating I finished the fold down CTC bed. I'll post pictures soon. After another leaky air mattress the wife and I upgraded to a actual queen size mattress. We thought about another air bed w/ a memory foam topper but found a deal at our favorite china mart (WalMart) on a 8" memory foam mattress for about the same money. Now the wife wants one for the house :lol:.

We're leaving out in the morning for 5 days of camping, fishing, hiking and canoeing. I'm actually loading my 14ft canoe in the CTC and using it for my original plans, a toy hauler!!

Ya'll have a good week..

Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club

Postby McDave » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:58 pm

Hey Martin,
Good to hear you are taking some time off. I always feel recharged when I get out in the woods for a day or two.
Just loaded the Harley up, and took a little shakedown run down the highway at speed. Everything feels and sounds right, and nothing flew off.
Ironhorse Rodeo and Beartooth rally this weekend at Red Lodge. It's a great time and a great place to ride, plus we'll see all the old gang and get caught up.
I'm out Thurs. night late or Fri. AM obscenely early, to try to beat the heat here. Forecast for 106 in Cowtown, 78 in Red Lodge. I know where I want to be...
Have fun and be safe! Don't forget the bug spray and sun block.

McDave

PS. oh yea, beer too!
McDave
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions