7x16 Conversion from Georgia

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: 7x16 Conversion from Georgia

Postby m.colley » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:46 pm

flboy wrote:Martin, Thanks.. I just booked Vogel St. Park for 8/27 - 9/1... getting out before the Labor Day rush... Got any good riding places you can recommend... send them my way. Appreciate it. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Depending on how far you want to get from where your staying (Vogel) check them out on Google Earth.
**Ga Hwy 348 comes out north of the campground and takes you back over towards Ga Hwy 75A which is the bypass around downtown Helen, its a beautiful curvy scenic view,
**Ga Hwy 180W comes out right behind the campground and leads you out to Ga Hwy 60, take Hwy 60W towards Morganton and BlueRidge, its a really nice scenic ride with long sweeping curves.
**Us Hwy19/Hwy 129 from Dahlonega to Blairsville is a scenic ride with some serious "TWISTY's "going both up and down hill.
These are literally right outside Vogel State Park.

If you want to take a good several hour ride let me know, I'll send you some directions/hwy/roads that will show you several waterfalls some really nice curves and some beautiful back country roads along with some beautiful overlooks all rolled into one. Since you seem to be the adventurous type it'll be ride you'll love. I'll give you a fair warning though. ITS A RIDE and one I've taken a few on but share with very few people.

Since I've taken some really long rides up in that area and logged as many as 1500 miles in three days up there in a 3 day weekend, I can hook you up. You tell me your and the wifes threshold for riding... :thinking:

Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club

Postby flboy » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:19 pm

m.colley wrote:
flboy wrote:Martin, Thanks.. I just booked Vogel St. Park for 8/27 - 9/1... getting out before the Labor Day rush... Got any good riding places you can recommend... send them my way. Appreciate it. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Depending on how far you want to get from where your staying (Vogel) check them out on Google Earth.
**Ga Hwy 348 comes out north of the campground and takes you back over towards Ga Hwy 75A which is the bypass around downtown Helen, its a beautiful curvy scenic view,
**Ga Hwy 180W comes out right behind the campground and leads you out to Ga Hwy 60, take Hwy 60W towards Morganton and BlueRidge, its a really nice scenic ride with long sweeping curves.
**Us Hwy19/Hwy 129 from Dahlonega to Blairsville is a scenic ride with some serious "TWISTY's "going both up and down hill.
These are literally right outside Vogel State Park.

If you want to take a good several hour ride let me know, I'll send you some directions/hwy/roads that will show you several waterfalls some really nice curves and some beautiful back country roads along with some beautiful overlooks all rolled into one. Since you seem to be the adventurous type it'll be ride you'll love. I'll give you a fair warning though. ITS A RIDE and one I've taken a few on but share with very few people.

Since I've taken some really long rides up in that area and logged as many as 1500 miles in three days up there in a 3 day weekend, I can hook you up. You tell me your and the wifes threshold for riding... :thinking:

Martin

Martin... so far my wife has only been on the back for short rides to dinner and local group rides with my friends and etc. Maybe not more than 100 - 150 miles a pop with a stop half way for a meal. She is good for more distance I am sure... but I am thinking a 250 mile loop would be pushing my luck first outing in the mountains with her. I have to break her in easy.... I just got her on the back a few years ago and I thought that would never happen, but just glad it did.

If I were solo.. 7 hours would be a good ride as long as I could stop for some good BBQ along the way. Anything 250 miles round trip in a day would probably be pushing the limits and be a good run for her I am thinking. She loves waterfalls if that can be had relatively nearby even if we have to park nearby and hike in a mile or so.

I really appreciate your help/time here.. I will pull up Google Earth/Maps and take a closer look at the area and routes you suggested. . :thumbsup:
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby m.colley » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:07 pm

Don,
Check out this map/route I created on Google maps. https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Vogel+S ... 667385!3e0

Its about 150 miles loop. There's numerous waterfalls on the route. Most are just a short hike from the parking areas.
On your trip up to Vogel (your camground) you'll find DeSoto Falls just before you get to the park entrance. Not the biggest waterfall but nice if they've had any rain up that way.
On Hwy 356 just outside Helen you'll find Anna Ruby Falls. Its a beautiful place and a short hike from the parking area.
Between Highlands and Franklin NC, on Hwy 64 you'll find several waterfalls, my favorite is called Dry Falls, you can actually walk under and behind the falls, further down Hwy 64 you'll find Bridal Veil Falls and even further down you'll find several smaller falls on the LH side of the road. I've climbed out several guard rails and climbed down to see them :D .

Take some cash for parking. Most of these sites are in/on USFS land and they have between a $3-5.00 parking fee.

Anna Ruby & Dry Falls are a must see kinda thing. If you get bored one day ride over to Amicola Falls State Park. Its known for two things, the beginning of the southern end of the Appalachian Trail & home to the highest waterfall east of the Mississippi River. Its a $5.00 parking fee to get in the park and its a nice ride.

Let me know what you think.

Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club

Postby flboy » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:40 am

Thank you so much Martin!! That is perfect!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I love Google Maps. I sent it directly to my phone which is also my GPS when I am on the bike. Will take some pics and post when we go!

WHen we leave that Friday 9/1 for home, instead of going directly home now, we are running down to SC to stay at my brother's hunting camp. We'll camp there and ride with my brother's Saturday and Sunday. They decided to have Labor Day there so we should have a good time.

A total of 8 nights in the CTC.. I should have a real good Idea after that how my wife is going to like the CTC toy hauler life on the road for extended periods.

On the way up to Georgia on the Saturday 8/26, I am going to boondock one night in a rest stop or truck stop parking lot somewhere. Our check in isn't until Sunday 8/27 and I am really wanting to test out the capability to boondock in a parking lot or etc. overnight with the bike loaded and running the AC and etc. with showers, breakfast, and etc. in the A.M. before we move out. Will be a good test and specifically what I designed a lot of this trailer's capability around.
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby m.colley » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:38 pm

Don,
Your more then welcome. One thing you might want to consider to get the maximum view is run the route in reverse, reason being the views between Franklin and Highlands are better running North/West to South. This holds especially true once you get between Franklin and Highlands. The river/ falls will be on your RH side as you climb and you won't have to try and look over a lane of traffic to see them. You can see what I mean if you look at the route on Google Maps in Topo view.

I think your wife will love the scenery and views she'll get. If you notice there is very little four lane, most of the route is two lane. You'll find alot of picture opportunities along the way so enjoy it.

Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions