New Here.New Project!

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: New Here.New Project!

Postby EZDog » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:47 am

Yes
I found 4'x8' 3/4" sheets at Menards already finished natural with 4 coats of Poly they claim.
It looks pretty nice and I like the exposed edge of plywood too so I just need to ease the edge a little and poly the edge to match.

It is not Baltic Birch and it does not cost what a 4x8 sheet of baltic would either!
But its not bad for the price and labor saving at all.
EZDog
Teardrop Master

Postby EZDog » Mon May 02, 2016 4:15 pm

Twin bed size plywood hinged with 24" front and 14" rear sections.
Added 1/2" Blue Closed Cell foam and carpet covered,what a pain in the rear!

ImageImageImage

It is hard to see here but there is a 2x4 across the front an inch or so from the edge and it slips into ETrack brackets both flat and when made into a couch so all I need to do is pull up the front edge and slide into the bracket set I need.The 2x4 wrapped in carpet makes really good connection in the bracket too and the whole bed/couch is rock solid in both setups!
The foam and carpet make the plywood amazingly comfy alone but I am still looking for a foam or futon bendy mattress to top it with.

You can sort of see the flip up table here too in the front on the left side from this view from the back door?

Sent from my iPhone don't expect too much
Last edited by EZDog on Mon May 02, 2016 4:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
EZDog
Teardrop Master

Postby EZDog » Mon May 02, 2016 4:16 pm

I also made a shelf above the couch/bed with strut as the beams and a plywood deck. I considered mounting some upper cabinets on it but think I will just make a 3" lip all the way around for less formal storage.

I also added another level to the front cabinet and have not decided whether to close shelves in or leave them open but there is a lot of storage space now there.

Also another view of the flip up table flipped down against the side wall and I made a matching folding table too that will slide under the flip up table or the counter and as you can see it all nests pretty tight too for travel.

ImageImage

EZDog
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Tue May 03, 2016 2:05 pm

I'm lovin' the bed/bench. You've got some fabricating skills for sure.
P.S. I am stealing the carpet idea. Not the exact material as the nearest Lowes/HD is over 200miles away, but I found a similar material/color in 6'x8' pieces, which happens to be the exact dimensions of my cargo area walls and ceiling! I ordered a taupe color for the ceiling and granite for the walls. I also got some extra for the galley/bathroom area but will only need (2) 3x4 pieces. Best part, only $17.99ea. shipped! Indoor/ outdoor waterproof UV etc. Hope they look as good as yours does, we'll see.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby EZDog » Tue May 03, 2016 4:31 pm

McDave wrote:I'm lovin' the bed/bench. You've got some fabricating skills for sure.
P.S. I am stealing the carpet idea. Not the exact material as the nearest Lowes/HD is over 200miles away, but I found a similar material/color in 6'x8' pieces, which happens to be the exact dimensions of my cargo area walls and ceiling! I ordered a taupe color for the ceiling and granite for the walls. I also got some extra for the galley/bathroom area but will only need (2) 3x4 pieces. Best part, only $17.99ea. shipped! Indoor/ outdoor waterproof UV etc. Hope they look as good as yours does, we'll see.

McDave

Well Thanks!
I have been using this carpet for a long time in a lot of ways and here it really softens everything inside,especially noise from outside.
It is not too easy to see from my pics but the bed is Taupe and the walls Gray but in the pics they look about the same?

The carpet also sucks light right out of the trailer which I am not so sure is a good thing just yet?
It will make for good sleeping but also will need lights inside when lighter interiors would not but it is already in place so I will reserve judgement for after having it on the road a few times first.

We have a little place in a little town in Colorado and whenever I need to do anything there it can be frustrating trying to get materials for sure!
One upside to City Life I guess.
EZDog
Teardrop Master

Postby EZDog » Mon May 30, 2016 6:22 pm

Took the Maiden Voyage a few weeks ago at an Egg Rally and the cargo was even better than i hoped for!

ImageImage

Here I am in Indiana at Shakamak SP was much roomier than i imagined and it got down to around 30 degrees a few nights but was cozy with a tiny cube heater run for 5 minutes the insulating really paid off
ImageImageImage

EZDog
Teardrop Master

Postby aggie79 » Tue May 31, 2016 10:50 am

Congratulations on the maiden voyage! I really like your layout and gaucho style bed.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Iconfabul8 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:58 am

What mattress/futon did you end up going with? Trailer looks great btw. :thumbsup:
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby EZDog » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:54 pm

Iconfabul8 wrote:What mattress/futon did you end up going with? Trailer looks great btw. :thumbsup:

I already had a 4" Memory Foam Topper that I forgot about and it is about perfect so far!
It bends easily and almost stays in the couch config. as needed and is comfy too and I usually just use a single or 2 sleeping bags joined as needed and have a long body pillow so it is still sort of a couch or Daybed maybe when in the bed position.

The trailer has worked out better than I imagined really and everyone wants to borrow it of course.
A friend took it and his 3 kids to chase the Eclipse and he rigged a small window A.C. into it and of course he enjoyed the event but the kids would not come out of the trailer?

I also have a 17' Casita Freedom which is completely self-contained and 3' longer than this rig too but this Cargo feels so much more roomy it is crazy!
I am glad I did just minimal build-out as it is still so simple to retask as needed though I do still want to finish the storage some and trim everything with finish wood too.

Now if would just stop freezing here.
EZDog
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions