HALLMARK 6X12 CONVERSION

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: HALLMARK 6X12 CONVERSION

Postby Padilen » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:12 pm

Wow, how did they come up with that?
Your ramp angle is going to be steep. With your cables even let it down all the way?
I'd not run it with the axle bowed the opposite way. Sorry I'd take it back and tell them to correct it.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby Tommy B » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:48 am

Good Morning all!

After sleeping on it all, I came out this am and after seeing it again, all's I can say is, I love it. Exactly what I wanted. The shop/people who did this are really pros at this and have been around for ever. I have been under that trailer many times and I am 90% sure that axle is just a large straight 3-4 inch pipe. I think that's why they proceeded with the modification. I have done business with them many times and trust them. We shell see.

BUT... although the ramp door does drop fine it is steep and I was watching the cable dance a little loosely as it played out on one side. May have to adjust it?

And the jack post will always need a large block underneath when deployed as it will not crank down enough now and I still need to purchase a higher hitch, like 5 inches total. Not sure yet.

I may level it and place the atv and a full tank of water in side and tow it a bit down the interstate to see whats what this weekend. Let you know how it goes.

Yes Hank, two stepper for sure. Maybe a portable step latter. Another project for after surgery.
Tommy B
500 Club

Postby flboy » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:35 am

I like the way it looks too. Certainly no clearance issues now.

If your axle has no camber to it, then tire wear should not be a factor. Not sure you can typically see the bend if there were one. The bend is kind of gradual over the entire length as I understand it??

One way to find out... just use it and watch the wear and check them often

Btw.. you probably could pull your CTC right through your front swale when it is dry now without using the driveway. It is a backwoods boondocking machine now! :-)

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tommy B » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:52 pm

Hell yes! Right through the swale now! Perfect in many ways. Just pull right up to the dump station. No fuss no muss. 8)

I called the shop and inquired about the drop down axle camphor issue. They said they did not think it would be an issue and if it was we could install another axle for 350.00 approx. I feel better now. :D

Don I have your tire back and will return it shortly.

Come on November!
Tommy B
500 Club

Postby McDave » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:57 pm

Oh Hell Yes! I love it!
I'd be lookin' for some all terrain T/A's to fill up those wheel wells now. Maybe even a rattle can Camo job and a rifle rack?
Oh, and a big ol' whip CB antennae with a Jolly Rodger flag. Sweeet!
But that's just me....

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby dmrogers » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:07 am

Years ago, we had had a 6x12 enclosed built to haul race bikes. The manufacturer did a great job, with one exception: the axle was installed incorrectly.

It was spotted by a friend that was riding behind me. When we got to the destination, we looked at the tires, and they both showed excessive wear due to the incorrect flip of the axle.

To check the camber of the axle, you really need to place a straight edge (a metal yard stick would be perfect) to see the gradual curve.
Proper camber will show like this:
With the straight edge placed on the top of the axle, you will see that each end (of the straight edge) not touching the axle.
With the straight edge placed on the bottom of the axle, you will see the center (of the straight edge) not touching.

This was with a straight axle. I'm not sure how they obtain the camber with a drop axle. It could be that the actual axle (pipe) is straight and the camber is created with the "drop" portion.

It would certainly be something worth checking out.

In any event, keep a close check on your tire wear. If you see extreme wear on the inside of the tire, you will know you have problems.

Hope this info helps (and makes sense).
dmrogers
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Tommy B » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:04 am

dmrogers thank you for that info. It will be interesting to see what happens. For what ever reason the guys who pulled the axle thought it would be ok. You would have to check for that curve when pulled. I did find one such picture on the web of just that. A 6x12 CT trailer drop axle pulled and it had a very noticeable curve to it when pulled. I can only surmise that they saw no or very little axle bow. Time will tell. They are very good at what they do at this shop.

Here are two more angles.

The step will be interesting to figure out. :thinking:
Attachments
doorstep.jpg
doorstep.jpg (85 KiB) Viewed 3961 times
rampdrop.jpg
rampdrop.jpg (107.25 KiB) Viewed 3961 times
Tommy B
500 Club

Postby flboy » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:14 am

Looks good Tommy! You have some clearance now! Looks like the ramp will accommodate the extra height also. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Iconfabul8 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:42 am

Another thing you need to measure is toe in. The distance between the front of the wheels should be a little closer than the rear. Maybe 1/16" or so. That is if the axles had it built in to begin with. If it did have any toe in, flipping the axle the way they did, would reverse the toe in, unless they also turned it end for end. In any case I would check it and if it is toed out I would rotate the axle.
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby Tommy B » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:42 am

Well I loaded the ATV in plus 20 gallons water up front. Yes it is level and all BUT....

I took a good look at that axle and oh yes there is a very noticeable bow in the down ward way as it is set up now. :oops: I was going to take a run down the interstate for just a few miles but am thinking about it now. A new straight axle with labor would be app. $350 or a little less. But what about the tow in and what not for a after market mod. Would a new set up run true and all? I will call the shop.

Imma take a run up 95 now briefly then check tires. 6 miles or so
Attachments
20180915_083859 (Custom).jpg
20180915_083859 (Custom).jpg (114.02 KiB) Viewed 3892 times
20180915_084853 (Custom).jpg
20180915_084853 (Custom).jpg (177.34 KiB) Viewed 3892 times
Tommy B
500 Club

Postby hankaye » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:02 am

TommyB, Howdy;

I was going to suggest looking at the Dexter Axle site but for some reason, on my computer (it may just be google),i
can't seem to get it to show. Perhaps you can from yours. I know they have a yuge amount of info that might be helpful .
:thinking:
Another thought is to mark the tires with some chalk so you can more easily see where the wear is.

hank

PS, EDIT: Tommy, hey, found another way to get to the folks at Dexter;
http://www.dexterpartsonline.com/page/461809580
Should be some helpful info there and click the HOME tab and there should be some contact info so you can call
an get it straight from the horse's mouth so-to-speak.
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Tommy B » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:17 am

hankaye wrote:TommyB, Howdy;

I was going to suggest looking at the Dexter Axle site but for some reason, on my computer (it may just be google),i
can't seem to get it to show. Perhaps you can from yours. I know they have a yuge amount of info that might be helpful .
:thinking:
Another thought is to mark the tires with some chalk so you can more easily see where the wear is.

hank

PS, EDIT: Tommy, hey, found another way to get to the folks at Dexter;
http://www.dexterpartsonline.com/page/461809580
Should be some helpful info there and click the HOME tab and there should be some contact info so you can call
an get it straight from the horse's mouth so-to-speak.

Hank Good Morning sir. I will research that site thoroughly and report back my findings. I very much appreciate your tip.

The C.T pulled great down the interstate at 75 mph loaded up with atv/water. Very smooth. It pulled just the same I think or better. No obvious wear marks on the inside of the tires but it was a short distance. Just info. Keep you updated. Thanks every body for you input. Iconfab,hank, Padilen and cant forget Don!

I cant reach the awning release or the pull strap so I need to pull the awning down and check that out too. Also the CT is shaky when disconnected. I dont know yet if the rear stabalizers will be long enough now. The front jack is waay up. :thinking: So this mod changed MANY little things. Some good, some not so. But I do prefere it.
Tommy B
500 Club

Postby flboy » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:53 am

Tommy... you may be in luck... I have some rear stabilizers that are longer I could not use on my first CTC. If they will work for you, they are yours. Also there are some other options I use for my CTC in the front.

They do make extensions for the front jack with a landing pad on the bottom. It would be very easy to modify if longer was needed. Easy fix.

https://www.amazon.com/Red-Hound-Auto-D ... k+drop+leg

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (23.54 KiB) Viewed 3813 times

BTW... when you were driving off yesterday, you can easily see the "bow legs" on the tires. It is not huge, but noticeable. Will likely be more pronounced with the more weight added.
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:14 pm

Tommy B, Howdy;

As for the Awning, look for OR make one of these.
https://www.amazon.com/Carefree-901035- ... JNBG4XNKWW
It's about 1/8" steel rod with a slightly more then 90 angle on one end and any type of flair
at the other end to hold on to. The ring works ok, or you could get fancy and fix a chunk of cypress
on it to personalize it. Just about every regular RV with an awning comes with one.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Tommy B » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:48 pm

Don will those stabs drop down far enough and do you have four?

I have read so many utube comments on this and sooo many say no for all the right reasons but a few people did do it anyway. Seems the only con was faster tire wear. I will only be carrying a dirt bike if that for sometime and dont use the CT all that often so I will try this. What's to loose?

Hank Dexter closed until Monday But I will call and ask a few questions.

I really just want THAT height for the axle and the trailer and I would like it right. Dunno :thinking: I don't like bow legged tires!
Attachments
20180916_184609 (Custom).jpg
20180916_184609 (Custom).jpg (182.9 KiB) Viewed 3789 times
20180916_184532 (Custom).jpg
20180916_184532 (Custom).jpg (135.51 KiB) Viewed 3789 times
Tommy B
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions