6X12 SS&S

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: 6X12 SS&S

Postby Hader » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:50 pm

"I was thinking about it for a mini split that would not actually go through the door, but be used on a ramp door set up."

We used 2 mini splits on a 34' conversion, it was a long time before most people knew what a mini split was. They were great, one on the Tongue for the bedroom, and one on an add-on platform in the rear of the trailer for kitchen and living-room.
Unless a person is rich (why would they do a Conversion?), window unit is the way to go. No need for a service call when they go down, just go to the nearest store and buy a new one for under $200.
Hader
Silver Donating Member

Postby Iconfabul8 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:48 pm

The wood is all up! Put the extra 1/2 inch of foam in the ceiling, and got the vinyl ceiling up!!!! :) You can also see the exhaust fan hole has been routered in the front of the trailer.

I even got my "bad guy" light mounted around 10:00 tonight.

Hader wrote:Looking good Iconfabul8.
Your door placement was what I was thinking as I'm still in the planing stage of my own conversion. :thumbsup: Thank you.
I would love to see your layout plan.

I was kind of putting this off, but since you asked, here it is, my big plan!!! :designing:
There is not a lot of room in a 6X12 but my goal is a comfortable warm shower (4 to 5 min on self contain, long as I want on full hookup) hence the Aquah Plus direct vent water heater, nice big porcelain toilet, and a place to sleep. Everything else is secondary. I am not that fond of cooking, give me a sausage McMuffin and I am a happy man (you thought I was going to say camper didn't you?) Truth is I am not a big camper, this is essentially a hotel room for me.
Last edited by Iconfabul8 on Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby Hader » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:53 am

We are going for the same layout. Shower will be 32".
Tankless water heaters are great if you have a water source. This is the one we used camping when running water was available. https://www.eccotemp.com/eccotemp-l5-po ... er-heater/
Hader
Silver Donating Member

Postby Iconfabul8 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:07 am

Well I did it!! I went with the 36" shower. :shock: Man it sure looks bigger in the trailer than you imagine when the blue tape is on the floor. I figured since a nice shower was high up on my list of importance I would just figure a way to make it work. I did however have a little scare when I got it home and tried to put it in the trailer... I couldn't stand it up and the back door wasn't tall enough to put it in standing up. I removed part of the ceiling and insulation and it still wasn't enough. :x I knew I had to cut some off the front side to fit under the flashing or what ever that thing is, so we (my Son and I) put it up on saw horses and I anxiously, fearfully, nervously, whacked a big chunk out of a new $400 shower stall ( pic 2.) Well luckily that was enough to get it stood up. Now I just have a million things to figure out to get it mounted.

Last edited by Iconfabul8 on Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby hankaye » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:21 am

Iconfabul8, Howdy;

Congratulations on having whacked off the right amount, measure,measure, measure :worship:

I think this is the first time I've seen someone install an all-in-one shower unit in a CTC. Generally ,
just a floor pan then self constructed sides. But, ... you are an ambitious type. :applause: , :thumbsup: , :thumbsup:

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Camp Wags » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:13 pm

I too purchased a 36" all in one shower... fortunately it was 1" to big to fit in my truck with camper top so returned right on the spot and got the shower pan and three piece sides and that went in much easier. The 36" shower sure looks big when you get it in, but a 32" shower is just to small to take a good shower in.

Like your build.

:thumbsup:

Gary :beer:
Camp Wags
Donating Member

Postby Hader » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:23 pm

Are you going to install a Water Tank and a 12V Pump?
Hader
Silver Donating Member

Postby Iconfabul8 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:30 pm

Camp Wags wrote:I too purchased a 36" all in one shower... fortunately it was 1" to big to fit in my truck with camper top so returned right on the spot and got the shower pan and three piece sides and that went in much easier. The 36" shower sure looks big when you get it in, but a 32" shower is just to small to take a good shower in.

Like your build.

:thumbsup:

Gary :beer:

Man, I'm glad to hear someone else say that a 32" is too small. When it came right down to it, I just couldn't bring myself to buy the 32". I actually went to get one.

Hader wrote:Are you going to install a Water Tank and a 12V Pump?

I am using the Aquah plus tankless water heater. But I have been thinking of having a separate tank to refill so that I could pre measure the amount of water and also use it slower than the tankless likes to deliver. I wasn't aware of anyone doing this.
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby Hader » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:57 pm

Check this out: http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produc ... yer-15-gal
You can't beat the price, the pump alone would cost $49.99.

I have used Tankless heaters before, they are great, the one we had needed a little bit of temperature adjusting (water going down the drain) every time you pause it. I don't know how will it would work with a limited supply of water as you would have with the tank.
Hader
Silver Donating Member

Postby Iconfabul8 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:13 am

Built a wall today, a single 2x4 wall! :lol:

The back side. It is kind of camouflaged but the 2x4 is screwed to a piece of osb that allowed me to reach a steel stud. Very solid.
However the trailer wall was bowed slightly so I had to build some shims (It was after 10:00, Home depot was closed)
Last edited by Iconfabul8 on Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby Hader » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:26 am

This is what 'tnriverluver' did with his Tank-less (same brand I used before) back in 2012. see 3rd post: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=52488&start=30
Hader
Silver Donating Member

Postby Iconfabul8 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:42 pm

I am waiting for some wire to come, but I wanted to get the shower mounted, so I ran a piece of conduit. The pex is for the toilet.

I didn't want the conduit to rattle so I anchored it with bailing wire!

Front view. The hole in the 2x4 is a wiring access hole. I felt I needed access to the connections of the cargo light and exhaust fan. I am sure they will need replacing some day. Ultimately it will have a box cover over it.

Had to get the cargo light mounted before installing the shower. These are really bright lights. And for around 7 bucks, I'm very Impressed! Time will tell if they hold up. http://www.ebay.com/itm/351771776246?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Since I am a pretty big guy, my shower floor needs all the help it can get. So to transfer some weight to the floor I found this stuff. I am very impressed with it. The baggie next to it, is a quick proof of concept test i did. I mixed a little, filled the sandwich bag about half full and set it under the shower or I should say set the shower on it. An hour later, presto! Hard as a rock, just like the box says.

I Used 3 bags around the hole. The pic shows 2 of them and the hole in my floor.
Last edited by Iconfabul8 on Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby m.colley » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:15 am

Iconfabul8 wrote:Had to get the cargo light mounted before installing the shower. These are really bright lights. And for around 7 bucks, I'm very Impressed! Time will tell if they hold up. http://www.ebay.com/itm/351771776246?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

I used the same lights on the ramp door end of my CTC as loading/spot lights and your right, their bright and well worth the money. I liked them so much I went back and bought another pair to mount on the 4 wheeler/ATV.

Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club

Postby hankaye » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:05 am

Iconfabul8, Howdy;

Nice job with the support for the shower floor, always thinkin'
outside the box. A lot neater then big blobs of the stuff they
use for just the floor pans in homes and RVs.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby McDave » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:36 pm

8) I see what yer doin' there...I like it... I'm gonna use it, too...Already had those ramp lights, but I like the RapidSet.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions