First post, my 5x10 v-nose build

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: First post, my 5x10 v-nose build

Postby beachguy005 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:40 pm

Great call on the film. I'll go with the 3M product. Another question I had on your build. I recall that you were installing vinyl plank flooring. If so, how is it holding up, particularly with temperature swings we have here in Florida. Any issues with the seams parting or expansion, contraction movement? I was looking at some vinyl waterproof planks that were 9"x60", not cheap but I liked the larger size for fewer seams.
Thanks for your help.
beachguy005
Teardrop Master

Postby tsyj » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:02 am

It's actually holding up very well. I left enough room at the perimeter for movement, and the joints have remained tight and flush same as the day I installed it. I've gone about 350 miles with the flooring down, and no issues travelling either.
First time we camped with the flooring down, I was running the AC Friday Night, and Sunday morning it was 30 degrees when we were packing up with the space heater running inside. No issues.

It's holding up very well to wear as well. We throw everything inside as well as buckets that I put extra firewood in. We've been careful not to gouge it, but it's fairly tough.

Here's a pic showing it and the finished cabinet doors.

I've ordered some 1/4" dia. rare earth magnets for a screen door project I'll start this weekend. Want a screen door, but need it to be a quick on/off deal. I have an idea. :)
My Mom finished the curtains for us as well. Wife picked out the material. It's like a little cabin in there now.

tsyj
Silver Donating Member

Postby beachguy005 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:45 am

Good to know on the flooring. I've got doors on both sides and one of the doors I'm going to use the screen window frame kits you can get at HD and some small alu U channel to slide it into. Should work like the screens in the sliders on my house.
beachguy005
Teardrop Master

Postby tsyj » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:29 pm

We need a screen on the main door. I was going to hang a dangling screen thing like you can buy for your home doors and cut it down to size, but I didn't really care for that idea.
I want a real door, one that you can open and shut and not have issues with, so that's what I came up with.

The door had to be removable because it sits in the same track that the regular door closes into, and shares the same weather stripping for a sealing surface. So I bought a 25 pack of rare earth magnets on Amazon with the plan of recessing some in the hinge side of the door, and a matching set in the door jamb so that I would simply put the screen door unit in the hole, and the magnets would catch each other and hold everything in place until I pulled the door back off.

Like this:

I built a lightweight door frame out of 3/4" thick cypress and made the stiles and rails 1" wide. I reinforced the corners with blocks and glued and shot everything together.

Epoxying the magnets in door side:

Test fit once epoxy dried and both sets of magnets installed:

All I do is set it in the hole, and the magnets self align and snap the door in place. I used 9 magnets per side.

Screened and painted black:

tsyj
Silver Donating Member

Postby McDave » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:27 pm

Nice Job!
I can see that design being stolen, right now.....
Thanx!!

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:33 pm

tsyj, Howdy;

Fantastic idea and outstanding execution of it!!! :thumbsup: , :thumbsup: !!!!

:beer: 's to ya!

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby flboy » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:59 pm

Wow... very creative idea. Outstanding work! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :applause: :applause:
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby tsyj » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:24 pm

Well, had another successful weekend in the trailer. Went to Juniper Springs in the Ocala National Forest http://www.juniper-springs.com/. The inside is 100% done except for some wall decoration. It is pretty cozy.

All the sites are no hookups, and luckily the weather was perfect mid 70's during day and mid 40's at night. The screen door worked great. Kept the trailer at almost perfect temp all day.
This has me looking into a small DC system that I can throw into the trailer when I know I'm going somewhere without power.
Our next off-grid camp is mid May, and I know I'll want some cooling ability then.

So now I'm going to work on a DC system that will probably have a solar option. I need to do some more reading.
tsyj
Silver Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:58 pm

McDave wrote:Nice Job!
I can see that design being stolen, right now.....
Thanx!!

McDave

Yep!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby MatthewWorks » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:02 pm

Love what you've done, TSYJ, you've given me some things to think about to make my upcoming conversion a bit more visually friendly. I ordered a trailer made by Arising last week, excited to get it home. (I needed shorter, so it's 5x8 sharp v-nose, but it's taller, so I end up having 2' of flexible cargo space underneath, with 4' on camper space on top. Going to be some odd proportions, but it works.)

Two questions if I may...
Since all of the structure of the trailer is steel tube, did you just run your wiring in front of the beams, in some sort of channel? Under the 3/8 plywood, or??? I'm going to be running more DC than I am AC, but I still hate to just have things running in conduits/wire wraps.

Other question: are you happy with your window sizes? I was thinking up putting in a few 18 x 24 windows (two per side), but now I'm wondering if I should do bigger/less... I recognize everyone wants something different (which is why we're here!) but thought I'd ask since you've had it out camping. Your way I think is more affordable, which is nice...

Cheers. Thanks for posting all you've done!
Matthew.

lost, but enjoying it so far.

18Jan2018:
total days in camper 92 (since Apr 2017)
camper has paid for itself with hotel/rental savings: 209%
MatthewWorks
Donating Member

Postby tsyj » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:32 am

Hay Matt, thanks. I ran the wiring up in the corner where the wall "studs" meet the roof "joists". Just like the stock wiring was run. If you use screws on the top piece, you can always access the wiring later on if you need to.

As far as the window sizes, they are perfect for us. Only thing I wish I did differently was had a screen in the door window, but we can live with it how we have it.
tsyj
Silver Donating Member

Postby MatthewWorks » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:40 pm

That's an amazing way to answer my question, thank you. Wiring shouldn't be bad at all.
Matthew.

18Jan2018:
MatthewWorks
Donating Member

Postby McDave » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:18 pm

MatthewWorks wrote:That's an amazing way to answer my question, thank you. Wiring shouldn't be bad at all.

I agree. Can you tell me how, or what program you use to make those excellent drawings?
Keep in mind I am not well versed in computers. But my wife is...

Thanks,

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby tsyj » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:23 am

MatthewWorks wrote:That's an amazing way to answer my question, thank you. Wiring shouldn't be bad at all.

No problem!

McDave wrote:

I agree. Can you tell me how, or what program you use to make those excellent drawings?
Keep in mind I am not well versed in computers. But my wife is...

Thanks,

McDave

I use a program called SoftPlan http://softplan.com/ for my drawings. It's meant to be used for Architectural drawings, but I punish myself and use it for technical stuff as well. I've been using it since I was 13 designing houses and commercial. That's what I do for a living.

I've always wanted to sit down and learn SketchUP for drawing stuff like this, but I just haven't had the time.
tsyj
Silver Donating Member

Postby MatthewWorks » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:42 pm

hey tsjy -
Do you by chance know what the inside width of your trailer is? I'm expecting 56", but since your trailer came from the same people I was wondering if you could verify. (mine is a 5x8) I'll be getting on the road about a week after my trailer gets here, so hoping I can build my bed platform beforehand... I just realized it's right between a double and a queen, so deciding which way I'll roll.

thanks for your help, if you have a chance.

Matthew
Matthew.

18Jan2018:
MatthewWorks
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions