Another way to skin a cat.

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Another way to skin a cat.

Postby Hader » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:01 am

Some of the ideas that I drafted (14x6) before deciding on the final plan.
We decided against the bathroom being in the back over concern with tanks and driveway drag.
The challenge that we have now is how to do the grey tank in the tongue area without raising the floor. We are looking into removing the cross member under the shower.

Hader
Silver Donating Member

Postby flboy » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:14 am

I don't think the gray water will be a problem on where you put that tank vs the sinks/shower. You can run a flexible drain hose to the tank inside the CTC (under and behinds cabinets and etc.. ). That is how I did my front sink when the tank is mid-ship. I have 2 sinks and a shower that drain to the gray water tank. I think the blackwater is more of a issue where it needs to drop directly into the tank. That is why my toilet is where it is in my CTC. I wanted the tanks mid-ship so 1) would not be in the back and possibly drag on driveways and etc.. 2) would not interfere with cross members of the trailer tongue. I figured out where best to put the toilet and then worked around it. The only way to avoid that is build the floor up for a tank under the toilet . I had considered building the floor up for the Blackwater tank (my second option) but was given the perfect size tanks (and larger capacity) to fit between the floor joists so I used them.

You will need to build the shower off the floor a about 4 inches or so to accommodate the plumbing/trap and etc. in any case.
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Hader » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:15 am

flboy wrote:would not interfere with cross members of the trailer tongue.

I would hate to have to raise the floor. I understand your concern about structural integrity of the frame.

I'll need to find a way to compensate for that cross member (Blue), maybe I'll weld a steel plate or strips under the plywood.
Hader
Silver Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:40 am

Hader, Howdy;

Don (flboy), is right about the tank not having to be directly under the shower or sink.
In the first RV that I lived in I only had one gray tank and it was aft of the Black tank and
about 18 feet from the kitchen. As long as you have a slope of about 1/4" per 10' would
work nicely.The kitchen drain in my RV ran under the cabinets and couch connected with
the bathroom sink and tub/shower and dropped into the tank there.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Hader » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:11 am

My dilemma with the shower drain is that I don't have any cabinets to run under or behind as Don suggested. The only other solution is to raise the floor for the bathroom, which I'm trying to avoid.

I certainly appreciate you all's input. :thumbsup:
Hader
Silver Donating Member

Postby Hader » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:16 pm

I'll be following Don & Hanks suggestion. I looked for an alternative but there were none.
Since I have no cabinets to use, I will have to raise the floor by 2" or so in the bathroom.
Hader
Silver Donating Member

Postby Iconfabul8 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:31 pm

I am about to this point as well. I didn't have enough ceiling height to raise the floor of the shower. I am hoping that I can go under the cross member and back up and have that be my p trap. I should only have to drop my gray tank a couple inches to allow access into the top of the tank. Anyway this is my hope, I haven't actually put anything in place to see. But hey, it works in my mind!
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby Hader » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:59 pm

Good to hear from you Iconfabul8, hope all is well.

[quote="Iconfabul8"]"I am hoping that I can go under the cross member and back up and have that be my p trap. I should only have to drop my gray tank a couple inches to allow access into the top of the tank"

I thought about that as well. The problem, I would still need at least 3" to 4" gap between the tank and bottom of the floor to be able to tap into the top of the tank.
I'm thinking about raising the floor just enough for a 1 1/2" pvc to go over the floor then down into the tank. That well mean I will have to cut the floor under the shower, let the P Trap hang under the floor, come back up over the floor pass the cross member and drop down to tap into the tank.

Tomorrow I may be able to draw a sketch explaining all gibberish above.

Up date us on what you are doing.
Hader
Silver Donating Member

Postby flboy » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:09 pm

Just a thought.. you could create a sump with a small submersible pump and have it pump over to a tank all underneath the trailer. Same idea as a lift station. If it is just shower water, it should work withput clogging up.
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Hader » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:20 pm

flboy wrote:Just a thought.. you could create a sump with a small submersible pump and have it pump over to a tank all underneath the trailer. Same idea as a lift station. If it is just shower water, it should work withput clogging up.

That would be a very practical alternative.
Hader
Silver Donating Member

Postby McDave » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:25 pm

Hepvo, Hepvo, Hepvo! I have only black tank, so black grey combined. Shower runs to the shallow end of tank, away from valve, and enters at the top/side of tank. 90 right after shower drain exits floor, then Hepvo, then 90 into side of tank at top, I also added a diverter valve to allow grey water only to drain to ground.

McDave

PS., Works flawlessly.
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Hader » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:55 pm

McDave wrote: I also added a diverter valve to allow grey water only to drain to ground.

McDave

PS., Works flawlessly.

That sounds doable for us, you just gave me a idea that would work for us. I still would want gray separated from black, our gray will be limited in size by the tongue and the cross members. But, we can have a much bigger black tank, drain (diverter valve) and dump the excess in the black tank. I'm only talking about 2 to 3 days for 2 people.

Thanks McDave.
Hader
Silver Donating Member

Postby McDave » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:44 pm

I went with 29 gal black, 25gal fresh. So there should be little if any chance of an "overage"...Remember, as Hank would say, "Water is your friend" when dealing with black tanks. Being able to divert grey may give you the option to extend stay by having additional fresh supply. Be sure to use plenty of water for "Black Ops".... just sayin'..

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Hader » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:38 pm

McDave wrote:I went with 29 gal black, 25gal fresh. So there should be little if any chance of an "overage"

McDave

Got it.

Funny but clear :lol: :thumbsup:
Having a beer in your honor. :thumbsup:
Hader
Silver Donating Member

Postby Hader » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:13 pm

Squaring the Squircle.

Tomorrow We'll be working on squaring the round-corner for the shower.
These photos show how the Round-Corner is and how we plan to square it.

The idea is to minimize lost square footage 'inches'.
We are using the panel that came with the trailer, cut it into strips, attach it horizontally to the uprights, panel it with a 5mm Luan, then glue the shower panels .

Any input?

Hader
Silver Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions