California 7x16 Toy Hauler Conversion

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: California 7x16 Toy Hauler Conversion

Postby pyramid » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:19 am

Paden- that looks good, I am planning on doing the same thing as far as the springs go. Where did you mount your pulleys for it ? How well does the spring assist work ?
pyramid
Teardrop Inspector

California 7x16 Toy Hauler Conversion

Postby Padilen » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:03 pm

While it does work it's not perfect. The springs would either need to be longer or stronger to lift bed all the way to ceiling. But weaker to get bed to the stops. I have to "help" it all the way up. And force it to stops, in the down position. My pulleys mount to unistrut near the top.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkImage
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby pyramid » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:13 pm

Padilen thanks for the info. Definitely had to go with solid steel for the frame after all the perforated steel did not have the strength I would like after it was all together. Here's a few pics of it. Need to still put the plywood in and then get the mattress

pyramid
Teardrop Inspector

Postby pyramid » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:21 am

Well I haven't updated the progress in a few weeks. I have been busy with work, but this weekend I was able to put some time aside to get some work done on the trailer. I got the faces for the lower cabinets cut and hung. I also did veneer on the edges and got most of the pulls installed. I still have one more pull to install on the lower cabinet. I started making the faces for the upper cabinets, I wanted to go with a frosted glass look. So I got acrylic, applied a frost tint, and then countersunk the acrylic into the wood frame. Next up is to do the frosted panels on the other upper cabinet and then paint the upoer cabinets a lighter grey.
pyramid
Teardrop Inspector

Postby McDave » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:37 am

Dang, that's coming along real nicely. Your really gonna have something when she's done.
Nice work. Keep that stuff up... :thumbsup:

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:33 am

Yep, what McDave said. You and Flboy - Don need to tame it back a little your showing the rest of use up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby pyramid » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:47 pm

I have made some more progress on the trailer the last few weeks. I was getting my butt kicked by the upper cabinet doors. I re did them 3 different times. I wasn't happy with the plexi, then I didn't like them painted, then I just made them with tempered glass and left the wood natural. Also I got the rear loading/flood lights installed, they are great and give off a ton of light to either work on the toys or play a little cornhole. Also got a porch light speaker combo. Got that installed on the side last night but I don't currently have any pictures. Next up is to install the 12v USB ports and clean up all the wiring. Then I'm going to tackle building a screen and running an AC outlet and cable connection to the outside of the trailer. It's really starting to come together though just can't wait to get back camping in it again with again and put all the recent upgrades through their paces!

pyramid
Teardrop Inspector

Postby McDave » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:47 pm

That's looking really nice. You are making good progress, just keep chippin' away a little here, a little there. I'm not sure you are ever "Done", there's always some other upgrade or repair to be handled.
I meant to mention to you months ago that there is a glass frosting spray paint and I have used it for privacy glass in bathrooms etc.. It works very well depending on your painting skills. Probably too late now, but just for future reference...

http://www.truevalue.com//catalog/produ ... 3411605579

McDave

PS. Those are sure pretty cabinets and hardware, nice job.
McDave
Donating Member

Postby pyramid » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:37 pm

McDave wrote:That's looking really nice. You are making good progress, just keep chippin' away a little here, a little there. I'm not sure you are ever "Done", there's always some other upgrade or repair to be handled.
I meant to mention to you months ago that there is a glass frosting spray paint and I have used it for privacy glass in bathrooms etc.. It works very well depending on your painting skills. Probably too late now, but just for future reference...

http://www.truevalue.com//catalog/produ ... 3411605579

McDave

PS. Those are sure pretty cabinets and hardware, nice job.

Mcdave, thanks for the kind words! Yes it is just chipping away little by little, but it's fun so that makes it better! I went with tempered glass in the doors. It should be fine and is much more durable than plexi.
pyramid
Teardrop Inspector

Postby pyramid » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:46 pm

Alright folks, progress is being made slowly but surely. I installed an exterior speaker/patio light combo and then I went forward getting the backsplash installed. Putting that backsplash on added so much wow factor to the trailer I am very happy with it. Also got the tv installed on the wall and its working like a charm. I need to stop by Home Depot and get a few more tiles to finish off the backsplash.

Also, I have been really thinking about going with the happijac lift bed over the current setup. I would like your thoughts on my reasoning.

1) 100x easier to raise/lower. (Last time we went camping dogs got into some DayQuil and caught drops while we were on a ride and came back to a bed covered in diharrea dog poop). So it would be nice to have it raised during the day.
2) resale value of the trailer. I think it will make the trailer more marketable and have more of a professional look when the time does come to sell it.

Here are some progress pics!

pyramid
Teardrop Inspector

Postby CoventryKid » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:03 pm

Wow, your trailer is REALLY looking special!!

I'll be interested in seeing your Happijac install.

I wanted to use their bed lift system when I built our trailer but I got absolutely NO response from Lippert over a number of emails. Perhaps I should have phoned them?!

I believe they sell their bed lift system only to OEMs.

Be interested to hear if you find out differently.
Doug
Vancouver Island, BC

GMC Savana Explorer Limited SE hightop conversion van
NEO NAVR 7x16 V-nose aluminum trailer now a comfortable travel trailer

Build: http://www.tusker-international.com/1-trlr-build.html
CoventryKid
Teardrop Master

Postby pyramid » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:16 pm

CoventryKid wrote:Wow, your trailer is REALLY looking special!!

I'll be interested in seeing your Happijac install.

I wanted to use their bed lift system when I built our trailer but I got absolutely NO response from Lippert over a number of emails. Perhaps I should have phoned them?!

I believe they sell their bed lift system only to OEMs.

Be interested to hear if you find out differently.

Thanks a bunch CoventryKid!
So for the happijac there are couple routes iam pursuing. I know of one guy who has directly from lippert for personal use 801-544-2585 is the contact number he used. Looking at roughly 1300 that route.

I think I have located a few down here in California and I know of three at a rv surplus in Michigan as well. 550 and 450 respectively.
pyramid
Teardrop Inspector

Postby McDave » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:06 am

Wow! That is looking really high end. Very sharp.
The nice thing about the happijack is it's a plug and play deal. If budget allows for it, it's probably a smart move. Time, materials, headaches and heartaches all add up, and that effort could be spent elsewhere. Also, the professional results and appearance do have a value. For some reason I have a hard time justifying that kind of expense for a single component that only does 1 task. But then again, it's not as easy as it would seem. Honestly, I have yet to see a homebuilt system that can compete with the happijack. Could be a wise move.
Looking great, keep that sh** up.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby flboy » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:30 pm

Wow... Very nice looking finish. You do nice work! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby pyramid » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:32 pm

McDave wrote:Wow! That is looking really high end. Very sharp.
The nice thing about the happijack is it's a plug and play deal. If budget allows for it, it's probably a smart move. Time, materials, headaches and heartaches all add up, and that effort could be spent elsewhere. Also, the professional results and appearance do have a value. For some reason I have a hard time justifying that kind of expense for a single component that only does 1 task. But then again, it's not as easy as it would seem. Honestly, I have yet to see a homebuilt system that can compete with the happijack. Could be a wise move.
Looking great, keep that sh** up.

McDave

I'm thinking it would be a wise move as well. It would also give it a more professional "thought out" initial impression for the next owner. (Whenever that my be) by no means am I building this to make money because I'm aware that won't happen. But when the time comes I would like to be able to recoup a good deal of the cost.
pyramid
Teardrop Inspector

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions