MY 5x8 TIN-TENT BUILD

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: MY 5x8 TIN-TENT BUILD

Postby onehoser » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:30 am

this is the same type of latch i have and this where i would like to mount it
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (14.38 KiB) Viewed 2989 times
I am the wisest man alive, for i know one thing, and that is that i know nothing. (socrates)
onehoser
The 300 Club

Postby onehoser » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:17 am

finished insulating the rear bulkhead using roxul instead of the foil backed foam insulation that i used on the walls and ceililng. it doesn't absorb moisture, is fire resistant, works great as sound proofing, isn't itchy like fiberglass insulation and easily removed to access trailer wiring. i still need to insulate the barn door and install the rv latch but that will require removing the door and stripping it down. i haven't found much info on latch installs so i'll post up pics when i do mine.

tony
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (104.26 KiB) Viewed 2934 times
I am the wisest man alive, for i know one thing, and that is that i know nothing. (socrates)
onehoser
The 300 Club

Postby Bearbait in NM » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:29 am

Never heard of Roxul. Just checked it out, interesting stuff. Stone and wool.

I look forward to any tips on your lock install. When I picked mine up from the trailer dealer, I was in such a rush adding accessory trailer stuff to my pile of goodies that I failed to realize my lock has no other hardware, and only has one plate screw. Looks like I will be ordering up a new lock on line, that should have all the parts. And maybe some templates........

Craig
Bearbait in NM
Teardrop Builder

Postby lrrowe » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:17 pm

I used Roxul on my trailer. Very quiet and warm on the inside.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby EZDog » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:53 pm

I am pretty sure I have only seen Roxsul installed while wearing a full Tyvek protective suit,it is incredibly bad on skin and when inhaled?

I am doing a big house in Maine right now and everyone in the trades feels it is the worst material to work with that is sold.

It is good sound barrier but NASTY!
EZDog
Teardrop Master

Postby onehoser » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:32 pm

i used roxul when i renovated my house and found no issues at all with it, no irritation at all. pink fiber glass is much worse.
from msds sheets:

Potential Health Effects:

Inhalation: Temporary mechanical irritation of the upper respiratory tract (scratchy throat, coughing, congestion) may result from exposures to dusts and fibers in excess of applicable exposure limits.
Skin Contact: Dusts and fibers may cause temporary mechanical irritation (itching) or redness to the skin.
Eye Contact: Dusts and fibers may cause temporary mechanical irritation (itching) or redness to the eyes.
Ingestion: Ingestion of this product is unlikely and not intended under normal conditions of use. Ingestion of this product may cause gastrointestinal irritation.
Existing Medical Conditions: Pre-existing chronic eye, skin and respiratory conditions may temporarily worsen due to exposure to dusts and fibers.
onehoser
The 300 Club

Postby Vspec » Mon May 01, 2017 1:09 pm

lrrowe wrote:I used Roxul on my trailer. Very quiet and warm on the inside.

I am in love with that stuff. How did you vapour barrier from the outside wall?
Vspec
Teardrop Advisor

Postby McDave » Wed May 03, 2017 3:35 pm

Ah yes, that's the stuff we used to call Rock Wool. Haven't seen much of it around lately, but it works well.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby lrrowe » Fri May 05, 2017 8:26 pm

Vspec wrote:
lrrowe wrote:I used Roxul on my trailer. Very quiet and warm on the inside.

I am in love with that stuff. How did you vapour barrier from the outside wall?

I had the manufacturer put the 3/8 in plywood on the outside under the aluminum. I used the Roxul only on the ceiling. The sides were the XPS sheets ( 1 1/2 in total). For the ceiling, since I had 6 in added to the interior height, I could afford to have about 5-6" of open space for the Roxul. The vapor barrier was added below the Roxul and above the ceiling panels. Just the other week while out camping, it rained hard at night and I never heard it. I either had great sound damping going on, or I was lost to the world that night. And during the 20 degree nights last fall while at my hunt camp, with my hot water heater setup, I was almost too warm.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby Bearbait in NM » Sat May 06, 2017 8:10 am

you bring up a good point on sound. When I looked at Roxul on line, I saw it was primarily used to deaden entertainment rooms. I thought that was NA for a trailer. But I have not been in mine in a good rain or hail storm yet. Interesting...

Craig
Bearbait in NM
Teardrop Builder

Postby hankaye » Sat May 06, 2017 8:21 am

Bearbait, Howdy;

Bearbait in NM wrote:you bring up a good point on sound. When I looked at Roxul on line, I saw it was primarily used to deaden entertainment rooms. I thought that was NA for a trailer. But I have not been in mine in a good rain or hail storm yet. Interesting...

Craig

Sounds like Maggy O'Sullivan's tap dance class for 3-4 yo Hobbits. The one's with no sense of rhythm ...

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Bearbait in NM » Sat May 06, 2017 8:43 am

Pretty funny. I guess I will found out soon enough, as our monsoon season is not that far off. Not sure how much further south and west you are from me, but up here during the summer at the ranch (about 9000') we can count on rain and/or small hail most of the summer afternoons. Thankfully the hail is pretty small, up that high.

Craig
Bearbait in NM
Teardrop Builder

Postby EZDog » Sat May 06, 2017 9:47 am

Bearbait in NM wrote:you bring up a good point on sound. When I looked at Roxul on line, I saw it was primarily used to deaden entertainment rooms. I thought that was NA for a trailer. But I have not been in mine in a good rain or hail storm yet. Interesting...

Craig

I build A/V Systems for a living which is why I have such intimate knowledge of the stuff myself,it is one of the first steps in isolating a room from the outside world in typical construction applications for sure.
But like I already said I don't know anyone in the trades that can tolerate working with the stuff really.
YMMV clearly. :?
EZDog
Teardrop Master

Postby hankaye » Sat May 06, 2017 11:56 am

Bearbait, Howdy;

I'm about 1/2 way between T or C and Hatch. About 4600' ASL. We stay dry when T or C
gets the rain. The Caballo mnts ar about mile away to my East.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Bearbait in NM » Sat May 06, 2017 6:00 pm

EZ,

Thanks. I do get a little cautious putting stuff behind walls that could see a bit of moisture, or even critters. I have had some bad experiences with mice and vehicles, in my parts. HantaVirus is a real concern here, so any insulation needs to be given serious consideration as to providing nesting material for mice.

Hank, I am in Taos. We have the same deal with the mountains here, weather is hard to predict with any certainty. It's really bad up at the ranch, as the cabin sits in a little valley with high rocks to the SW, the direction that the prevailing weather comes from. We cannot see the summer boomers until they are right on top of us. Makes for a lot of mad scrambling.

Craig
Bearbait in NM
Teardrop Builder

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions