7x7x16 v nose

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: 7x7x16 v nose

Postby hankaye » Fri May 19, 2017 8:33 am

Onetype, Howdy;

If I were only about 40 years younger ...

You mentioned that you sometimes travel to outlying parts of your State to do your job.
In those instances do you plan to stay at an RV Park or on site and do what is referred
to as Boondocking? Some RV Parks won't let you stay unless you are fully contained and
some will. Depends on the owner's whim. If you choose to Boondock then you will find
having 12vdc a very handy thing to have already installed. It's also comforting to be able
to have lights and some essentials powered when the power goes off due to Mother Nature.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Onetype » Fri May 19, 2017 11:25 am

I should have phrased that better, we do work in other big cities not exactly rural areas. I live in Austin, Tx but we Have jobsites going all over South Tx. When doing out of town work I will just park the CT at the jobsite. I do commercial electrical work so we have priority most of the time on site. Obviously power wouldnt be an issue. I will use external jugs to collect the grey water when needed.

Ill be saving up for a decent genset at some point too.
Onetype
Teardrop Builder

Postby McDave » Fri May 19, 2017 4:25 pm

Keepin' Austin weird... :o
Just so's you don't get above yer raisin',
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD44jYGOWJs

And here's one with a little more drive in it...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCZ4MjYnPCA

Blue Yodel...nuff said.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Fri May 19, 2017 9:31 pm

Onetype, Howdy;

Wasn't your fault, I just didn't have much to work with, that's all
Kinda been the story of most of my life ... :lol:

Pop always said that if I didn't have so much turned under for feet and so much
turned out for ears I'd have grown to be a taller fella instead of only being 6' tall.

hank
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Onetype » Thu May 25, 2017 5:50 pm

Well, I re-routed the t-stat from the window unit to about halfway up the wall the other day. I wanted to get the fan off the floor and mount it on the wall since I prefer a fan on me when I sleep. Seemed to work great, the temp displayed on the unit is much more relative to the indoor temp that my thermometer shows. Today is a pretty hot day (still in the 90's though) and the unit has pretty much been running all day but it doesn't seem to be able to keep up or its not able to circulate around enough. Granted this is the hottest part of the day but I'm kinda worried when summer is full on and its in the 100's. I was hoping to not have to have a fan circulating but I may be unable to avoid it. I haven't been able to paint the roof yet because its been raining so much but I do plan on putting a couple coats of Henry 587 up there at some point. Anyway I guess I can't really tell yet if its just undersized or just a circulation issue.

I'm going to have to setup a surround sound to hear the tv over all these fans :lol: .
thumbnail_image2 (1).jpg
thumbnail_image2 (1).jpg (176.52 KiB) Viewed 3287 times
Onetype
Teardrop Builder

Postby McDave » Sat May 27, 2017 1:27 am

Most wall thermostats are mounted at 5' height. I'm sure you have noticed this being in the business you are in.
I can't tell from the pic., is the AC mounted high or low?

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Onetype » Sun May 28, 2017 8:55 am

The A/C is mounted pretty much on the floor. I wanted to try it this way at first and if It didnt work I could try moving it up. I'm going to leave a fan circulating the air today and see if that helps, If not I'll try moving up to a 12k unit.
Onetype
Teardrop Builder

Postby Onetype » Mon May 29, 2017 2:00 pm

So the fan circulation seems to be the trick, unfortunately it's not ideal but I'll make due for now. An RTU might be something I will look into sometime in the future but the 5amps on this window unit sure is nice.

Anyway, my shower pan came in last week. I got it in along with the drain for the most part. I've seen people put the galvanized roof panels up for their shower walls and I really like the idea. FRP would probably be easier but it's stupid expensive here. I started putting up some plywood on the sides without plumbing, I intend to paint the wood with some Kilz or some sort of water barrier. Debating on whether I should coat everything behind it just in case before I get too far.

For those of you with showers have you run into moisture problems after taking a hot shower?

This is pretty much how I intend it to look once finished.

image1[659].JPG
image1[659].JPG (550.92 KiB) Viewed 3198 times

img_1250.jpg
img_1250.jpg (69.27 KiB) Viewed 3198 times

126657d7db515949e84feedb20b130be.jpg
126657d7db515949e84feedb20b130be.jpg (39.6 KiB) Viewed 3198 times
Onetype
Teardrop Builder

Postby McDave » Wed May 31, 2017 12:49 am

I wanted to do a similar treatment in my trailer and still might, but not in the shower. I have the "wet bath" style, toilet/shower combo. It's pretty tight in there and I'm not a small guy, or a graceful guy either. It just seemed like the was a good chance of getting cut or hurt while naked and wet. Also, it was pricey for the smaller profile metal, used just for décor. I already had a 3 piece enamelled metal enclosure that was all smooth and clean white so I cut that down to size.
I have a vent/ fan/ light combo unit in the shower, so no steam issues. Plus I use a tankless water heater so I have a shower wand with on/ off control. So I get all wet, turn off wand and soap up, turn on wand and rinse off. I only have 25 gal fresh water tank, so I try to conserve. I think I only use about 2.5-3 gal. per shower.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby jr9744 » Wed May 31, 2017 5:41 pm

Onetype wrote:
Anyway, my shower pan came in last week. I got it in along with the drain for the most part. I've seen people put the galvanized roof panels up for their shower walls and I really like the idea. FRP would probably be easier but it's stupid expensive here. I started putting up some plywood on the sides without plumbing, I intend to paint the wood with some Kilz or some sort of water barrier. Debating on whether I should coat everything behind it just in case before I get too far.

That is a pretty good idea using the galvanized roof panel. I did a quick check on Home Depot to compare FRP to Galvanized roof panel price. FRP is $33 for 4x8 and Galvanized roof Panel is $12 for 4x2. So you would pay around $24 for the same size of galvanized roof panel where I live. A little cheaper.

The edge cutting thing is a concern. But if you were to use this, would you have to coat it with anything to protect it? Or is it fine as is in the shower? I would assume it is fine as is since it's a 'roofing' panel.
7x7x16 V Nose Travel Trailer, First Build...In Progress
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=68569
jr9744
Teardrop Master

Postby hankaye » Wed May 31, 2017 6:25 pm

jr9744, Howdy;

You can burnish the edges of the Roofing to eliminate their sharpness.
Easy to do, I'd recommend using gloves and maybe a socket extension.
Just rub the roofing's edge with the extension along it's length and gradually
come over the edge and down the other side. That will round off the edge
and smooth it so the chance of cutting should be eliminated. Should only
take a few minutes.

hank
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Onetype » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:37 pm

jr9744 wrote:
Onetype wrote:

That is a pretty good idea using the galvanized roof panel. I did a quick check on Home Depot to compare FRP to Galvanized roof panel price. FRP is $33 for 4x8 and Galvanized roof Panel is $12 for 4x2. So you would pay around $24 for the same size of galvanized roof panel where I live. A little cheaper.

The edge cutting thing is a concern. But if you were to use this, would you have to coat it with anything to protect it? Or is it fine as is in the shower? I would assume it is fine as is since it's a 'roofing' panel.

Some people spray a clear coat over it, I highly doubt this is needed though. This stuff is made to be outside in the weather, yes it will eventually need to be replaced but everything has a life expectancy and it will be MANY years down the road with the right upkeep. As for the edges when done right there really shouldn't be any from what I can tell. Maybe some clear caulk/silicone if needed.

I was able to get the flooring in last week, really makes a huge difference. I was picking up all sorts of wood shavings when walking on it before lol. Still haven't gotten around to finishing the shower yet but it's on my to do list soon.

thumbnail_image1 (1).jpg
thumbnail_image1 (1).jpg (224.33 KiB) Viewed 3045 times
Onetype
Teardrop Builder

Postby Onetype » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:35 pm

Someone posted a comment about CPVC turning brittle over time, since I started running most of my water supply lines in this stuff I decided to switch over to PEX. I really hadn't gotten super far so It's not really that big of a deal. I already bought basically everything up front not knowing what I would use at the time. Anyway, today I made the first cut in the trailer exterior :frightened: with the water inlet box I ordered months ago. It came with some sticky stuff which I wrapped around the back and then screwed the box down. Finished it up with some proflex I think is what the caulk is called, hopefully no leaks. So I will be using the garden hose attachment for the most part, it looks like a barbed fitting sorta but definitely not 1/2". Any idea how I can hook up the 1/2" PEX to it? If it wasn't obvious I'm learning the plumbing as I go :lol: .

thumbnail_image2 (2).jpg
thumbnail_image2 (2).jpg (345.15 KiB) Viewed 3002 times

thumbnail_image1 (2).jpg
thumbnail_image1 (2).jpg (250.49 KiB) Viewed 3002 times
Onetype
Teardrop Builder

Postby jr9744 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:26 pm

I'll be watching your build to see how that shower comes out. I may do what your doing or use frp. Not quite sure yet. Still have some work to go before I start finishing the rooms.

Build is coming along nicely. The floors look good. Is that laminate/wood/ or engineered wood?
7x7x16 V Nose Travel Trailer, First Build...In Progress
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=68569
jr9744
Teardrop Master

Postby Padilen » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:42 pm

Good job, I passed the buck on my first hole I had my friend do it..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions